Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a problem with my XD9 I like it a lot BUT after a 1000 rounds I still can't shoot it right. I can get great groups slow fire. but when I go to double taps I get 2 good groups about 8 inchs apart CotC @15 yards
when I present to fire I do not get auto sight alinement the front is behind the left blade of the rear and I have to bend my wrist to get a sight picture I think I'm letting my wrist move during firing causing the shift of center. I have played with a XDm and seems problem is not as bad. but have not been able to range test one yet. Any one have any Ideas on cutting or building the grip up to fit better. I would hate to make a change then find Its not helping and have to try and sell a damaged gun

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Installed a HOGUE #17300 grip sleeve happy to say fixed the problem.it has palm swells that push the rear of the pistol to the left and lines the sights up just right for me today I shot 2 mags at 9"paper plates @ 25 yards (outdoor range no less then 25yards allowed) 12 of 16 on one and 15 0f 16 on other doing double taps very happy and now thinking about a XDm9 5,25
Thanks to every one for their help
lopper

·
Registered
17,680 Posts
Unless you have Gorilla hands...sounds like you are holding the pistol incorrectly...try re-positioning the way you hold it

Put it in your hand...then point in a safe direction (unloaded), if the sights don't naturally line up shift it around some, you should have natural site alignment when you put a pistol in your hand.

My buddy was shooting a .357 mag like crap once...an old school shooter showed him how to hold it...NIGHT and DAY difference just from how he held it

Also...check to see if you are flexing your grip when you shoot..some people milk the grip when they fire...its an unconscious effect and can drastically change shot to shot consistencies

How to shoot a handgun accurately by Massad Ayoob Issue #85

Don't have audio..I hope this helps (not to insult your intelligence either)

P.S. Pachmayr grips also might help
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/sa-xd-xd-m-accessories/26430-pachmayr-slip-grips.html

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I would think dry-fire practice and a firmer grip would take care of it.

·
Registered
17,680 Posts
I would think dry-fire practice and a firmer grip would take care of it.
Start with the foundation...before you practice...

If you start practicing wrong...it takes ALOT to unwire the problems, learned this the hard way being a rifle/pistol coach in the Marines, someone who "knew" how to shoot (trained/practiced incorrect from the start) would consistently shoot bad (and get frustrated doing it)...someone you could teach before they got bad would end up getting better and better with more practice...just an observation.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Double taps at 15 yards?

That seems a little too far away to be practicing rapid fire to begin with in my opinion. You should be starting at 3 yards, then 7 and maybe 10 once you get good at 7. 15 yards and beyond you are going into marksman territory with a handgun.

Unless you are a professional shooter like Todd Jarrett good luck getting good groups at 15 yards with any hand gun rapid fire. It's just not gonna happen unless you spend hours shooting using proven techniques.

I'm with Awphuck on proper techniques to start with. If you develop bad habits from the start it's a lot harder to break.

There's also the thumbs forward grip technique which is what all the world champion shooters use.

I'm not trying to flame you or anything but it sounds like you are being unrealistic on what to expect from the gun and not how you use it.

·
Registered
17,680 Posts
Most guns outshoot the shooter...

·
Registered
173 Posts
IMO if your not shooting in competition, if you can hit a paper plate you should be fine, how often will you protect yourself from someone smaller than that? I am sure someone will disagree, thats why I will start and end with IMO.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Haha! Well with XD's that's usually the case except for the occasional low and left syndrome.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
fix your technique.

All the expensive equipment in the world won't make up for poor technique, nor should it.

Shoot it from a bag or rest, or have someone who knows how to shoot it check it out.

Then, when you see that there's nothing wrong with the gun, get some instruction from an instructor or an experienced shooter.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
It's more than likely that the trouble will follow you to the next pistol.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
fix your technique.

All the expensive equipment in the world won't make up for poor technique, nor should it.

Shoot it from a bag or rest, or have someone who knows how to shoot it check it out.

Then, when you see that there's nothing wrong with the gun, get some instruction from an instructor or an experienced shooter.
Well he said he does just fine slow fire. The problem is rapid fire double taps. But again he says he is shooting rapid fire at 15 yards and getting bad groups. Well yea, you are shooting a pistol. Unless you are a pro forget good groups at 15 yards rapid fire. That takes hours and hours of practice.

Sounds like he's getting combat accurate hits though. Which in my opinion is pretty good for double taps at 15 yards.

Now if he actually meant 15 feet which is 3 yards that would be different.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Make sure when you grip the pistol that the top of the slide is in line with your pointer finger and thumb as you look down. This grip feels strange to a person who isn't intentionally gripping the pistol the correct way. For the record, this isn't the "natural" or the most comfortable way of gripping the pistol for most people until you are used to it. Centering the slide this way ensures the recoil will be straight back and in line with your arm instead of rotating against your wrist.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I'm also thinking its possible you are left eye dominant. Just a thought.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please read the post! I can get 2.5 to 3 in groups at 25 yards off a rest if I'm careful. There's nothing wrong with the gun! I have very large thick hands. I have no problem with single stack grip frames. I'm using 15 yards in the posting because that shows the spread the best At 3 yards I get 2" tall and 5" wide group. which does not show the problem. and yes I not a big time competition shooter. But I still want to shoot well. I'm not happy with almost half of my shots hitting out of the main group. I've been shooting hand guns since 1968 and rifles since about 1957 after that long I have learned a little but know I can always learn more. I bought this as a range/fun gun. I carry P220 as well as shoot a Colt Gold cup and a SA Operator. I been on this site a little while and was hoping for some help.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm also thinking its possible you are left eye dominant. Just a thought.
This would be hard as I'm blind in my left eye. LOL
thanks though that could make this happen. But it would be with all handguns

·
Registered
17,680 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well he said he does just fine slow fire. The problem is rapid fire double taps. But again he says he is shooting rapid fire at 15 yards and getting bad groups. Well yea, you are shooting a pistol. Unless you are a pro forget good groups at 15 yards rapid fire. That takes hours and hours of practice.

Sounds like he's getting combaccurate hits though. Which in my opinion is pretty good for double taps at 15 yards.

Now if he actually meant 15 feet which is 3 yards that would be different.
2 clear 5"/6" groups @ 15 yards not looking for 2"@15 yard, but would be happy with 1 8" it 15yards i'm going to find a range with a XDm to rent try as the sight line up better for me

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Please read the post! I can get 2.5 to 3 in groups at 25 yards off a rest if I'm careful. There's nothing wrong with the gun! I have very large thick hands. I have no problem with single stack grip frames. I'm using 15 yards in the posting because that shows the spread the best At 3 yards I get 2" tall and 5" wide group. which does not show the problem. and yes I not a big time competition shooter. But I still want to shoot well. I'm not happy with almost half of my shots hitting out of the main group. I've been shooting hand guns since 1968 and rifles since about 1957 after that long I have learned a little but know I can always learn more. I bought this as a range/fun gun. I carry P220 as well as shoot a Colt Gold cup and a SA Operator. I been on this site a little while and was hoping for some help guess I should have known better.
We know you've been around. Well a couple of us old timers do. Don't get upset we are trying to help.

This is where we were talking about developing bad habits. You've been shooting guns for so long that maybe you've just developed some over that long period of time.

Now what I don't understand is how you can do well with a single stack frame grip but the XD grip is too small? :confused:

For most people the XD points very naturally when they bring it to eye level. This is because of the grip angle that is similar to a 1911. And you own 2 1911s. :confused:

Have you tried a grip sleeve as mentioned before?

Maybe you do need to just sell the thing. I don't know. It just doesn't sound like a grip size issue on the gun but how you are gripping it.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
2 clear 5"/6" groups @ 15 yards not looking for 2"@15 yard, but would be happy with 1 8" it 15yards i'm going to find a range with a XDm to rent try as the sight line up better for me
Well the XDM you can put the large back strap on it for your susquatch hands. Maybe it will work better for you.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
I'm having trouble hitting baseballs at the batting cage. Do you think a new bat will help? No? what is wrong with my swing then?

You aren't going to get much help asking about this sort of thing on a website. You need an instructor, or another experienced shooter to show you what you are doing wrong.

Don't bother replying if my analogy goes over your head.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts