Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my XD compact .45 a couple of weeks ago, and I was thinking about getting into IDPA. Are any of you out there using the compact for that? If so, how's it going? Is it a worthwhile hobby to get into? It would seem like a good way to hone shooting skills and have some fun at the same time.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
I'm just starting in IDPA, our range is sponsoring some of us to get SO certified so we can have matches. The XD is made for IPDA, it's perfect for it. The only negative I have about the compact guns is when you use the extended magazine w/ the plastic grip extender it's harder to release an empty magazine and have it drop free with gravity... because your hand is holding part of the magazine. When I shoot my XD Sc, I use the 10-round magazines without the extension so they drop freely. The grip is shorter and my hands are big, so my IDPA gun is an XD Service .40. IDPA is great, you'll love it.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
I would love to get into IDPA. My range has speed shooting and I love doing that but I would love more of a challenge.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I shot my first IDPA match yesterday. GREAT FUN!!!!! I could definitely get hooked on this stuff. Our local IDPA lets you shoot your first match free. I used my XD gear holster and mag holder, but if I get serious with it I'll probably upgrade both, but for starters they worked fine. Great people, too. Best way I've found yet to blow through a hundred or so rounds.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
It's so easy to watch the experts shoot and feel you must match their speed, but if you can't match their accuracy your score is low. Go as fast as you can and hit the -0 part of the target, then just go faster as you get better. Eventually one day YOU are the guy everyone is watching because the older guys die off. Then you die. Ain't that a bitch?

·
Registered
375 Posts
It depends on what you plan get out of shooting IDPA. Are you planning on competing? Or are you shooting it so you can get some tactical practice with your carry gun? Use your XD gear, buy an extra mag and just go shoot, if you find yourself at a competitive disadvantage with the SC model, then there's another reason to go buy a bigger model. Otherwise, just take it as practice should you ever need it in a shtf situation. I shoot IDPA with an XD .45 service model. It's what I carry and I'm somewhat competitive with it. I use the XD mag holders and an XD gear paddle holster. Both work great. I especially like the adjustability of the holsters so it's easier to draw a mag or the gun. I am however considering buying an XD .45 tactical to compete with since it is faster for me to acquire the sights than on the service model. Same controls, just a longer barrel.
I started out just wanting to get some tactical shooting practice but I now find myself edging over the competitive abyss.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've read about IDPA, and it sounds like a good way to build some skills, as well maybe meet some new friends. I like the range on its own, but shooting at various targets and under time would be good exposure for me. I would probably at least start off using my XD compact.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Got a few questions...how does concealment work? Does the weapon have to be "concealed" and if so does printing make it an illegal holster?
When practicing, get the technique down at a kindergarten-slow pace before you speed it up. YOU know what you're supposed to do but your body does not. Practicing slow allows you to be in full conscious control of every movement your body does or fails to do, so you can ensure you are doing it correctly every second of the way. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. A smooth movement is better than a quick jerky movement.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've read about IDPA, and it sounds like a good way to build some skills, as well maybe meet some new friends. I like the range on its own, but shooting at various targets and under time would be good exposure for me. I would probably at least start off using my XD compact.
You will definately gain new skills. Shooting while advancing, retreating, moving to cover and from cover to name a few. It puts a whole new perspective on just shooting to begin with. You'll almost never want to shoot stationary at a plain target. It is a lot of fun, you'll meet some good people and interesting characters, and at the very least you will learn something. The main item to remember is to go SLOW. You will definately notice when you moved faster than you can shoot. Eventually it will all start to click and you can add in speed. I by no means am at Tards level, which is why I'm still typing but I have seen guy's blow through a stage but then there score suffers. I have done this as well. Plus, to keep things in perspective, every no shoot I make, was an innocent, so I focus on making my shots first.
I did forget to mention that you will be required to wear a cover garment. Some guy's use button down shirts, coats, zip up sweaters or vest. I started out using just a zip up fleece until I decided I want to do this and then I bought a 5.11 vest. Give it a try, let the proctors know your new and if they're cool (which they should be) they'll help you out. Have fun and let us know how you do.

O

·
0 Posts
Does anyone know of any IDPA clubs in San Diego or Orange County...I dont have much time to shoot, but when I can, I want it to be more than shootin rocks in the desert

1 - 14 of 14 Posts