Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Springfield XDs. One is 9mm, the other is .45ACP. I used to have two XD45s, but sold the other one, and was planning on selling the one left. The reason is because I'm switching to just 9mm. I don't like the idea of having two different rounds either.

So anyways, I'm thinking of getting an XD9 subcompact as opposed to another XD9 Service. I have a CCW permit, and carry my XD9 service most of the time. But there are times when I need to tuck in my shirt, and the handle of my pistol does print through a bit. Not enough that someone oblivious about guns might notice, but enough that someone looking for it... might see it. Hence why I'm interested in a Springfield XD9SC.

How well would a Springfield XD9SC conceal on a husky guy like me, wearing a Crossbreed Super tuck, with the shirt loosely tucked in? Do any of you have and side by side comparisons of the XD9SC with other sub compact guns... like the Walter PPS, Kahr PM9, Keltek PF9?

Also... how reliable is the sub compact version of the XD9? I've heard that handguns become tricky things when you get into miniaturizing existing models into subcompacts... and that ultimately they become less reliable than the full sized version.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
With the compact mag I think you should have no problem covering it up.

Mine has been utterly reliable at about 2.5K rounds no malfunctions of any kind. The SC is smaller than the service model, yes, but it's not really a mico compact gun.

I have heard of similar problems with making guns smaller but that's when the starting point was a fairly big design (like a 5" 1911) aiming for a drastic reduction in size (like a 3" New Agent 1911).

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm in the same situation. EDC a 45S but want something more compact for tucking and 9mm for the cost benefit compared to 45. I'll be watching this thread. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in the same situation. EDC a 45S but want something more compact for tucking and 9mm for the cost benefit compared to 45. I'll be watching this thread. Thanks for posting!
I switched to 9, since I learned that there really is no appreciable difference in damage to the body between a 9 and a .45 according to most trauma surgeons.

.45ACP is so much more expensive, so I shoot it less. I also have less rounds of it in my gun. So I figured it was a great trade off to have more ammo in my gun, and have a gun that I can shoot more frequently with, since it uses cheap 9mm.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I switched to 9, since I learned that there really is no appreciable difference in damage to the body between a 9 and a .45 according to most trauma surgeons.

.45ACP is so much more expensive, so I shoot it less. I also have less rounds of it in my gun. So I figured it was a great trade off to have more ammo in my gun, and have a gun that I can shoot more frequently with, since it uses cheap 9mm.
That's where I'm at just hesitating to pull the trigger right away due to lack of funds but as soon as I get my penny's saved I'm going 9mm. I haven't decided if I'll sell my 45 yet, but I can definitely see good logic behind the "one ammo type" philosophy.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I carried an XD9sc for a couple years..

A little thick with a sloppy and spongy trigger.

Sold it after buying a Sig P239.
Thinner, better trigger.

Sold the P239 after buying the SA EMP.
I carry it now.

It was a learning process..;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
I carried an XD9sc for a couple years..

A little thick with a sloppy and spongy trigger.

Sold it after buying a Sig P239.
Thinner, better trigger.

Sold the P239 after buying the SA EMP.
I carry it now.

It was a learning process..;)
I've looked at the EMP and I really like it. I just don't like the price. Guess I'm kind of cheap/broke that way. I'm leaning more toward the XD because it would keep me from having to buy another holster. Idk about the OP but I wouldnt have any problem with a small(short grip) double stack with the way I dress. Though the single stack is still an option for me.

Off topic... I think you must be the most outspoken non XD owner on the forum 1lowlife.:)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'd been looking to sell / trade my Glock 23 for an XDsc until I found the Kahr CW series. It's a single stack so thinner than the XDsc, but shoots well, and was a lot less expensive than something like the Sig.

(Hogue Jr grip sleeve took care of the REALLY rough grip so range time isn't so painful).

Take a look at the Kahr series before you "pull the trigger" so to speak. Conceals really well and at over 1000 rounds no failures of any type. Take down isn't bad as long as you pay attention to the details the first time or two.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I carried a XDSC for a while as well and it was bulky. Ended up trading it for a Kahr CW45. Slim and light. I also wasn't comfortable carrying a 9mm after viewing some LE videos of BG's being shot with 9mm ammo. One guy didn't even flinch after taking a hit to the abdomen. I just don't see that happening with a .45 IMHO. Yes it's more expensive to shoot but it's my EDC for personal protection. Not a range gun. I will eventually get a XDM 9mm for range shooting and potential IDPA in the future. But I will say that the XDSC would NOT malfunction after 2k rounds. Reliability is the last thing you have to worry about with this gun.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I think the XD9sc is a great carry pistol straight out of the box. I carried it on and off for a while but I found it to be a little thick for me to carry comfortably for my lifestyle and build. Decided to go with the PM9. I like it because it's been reliable, accurate, has a great DOA trigger and has a similiar feel as the XD. I also liked the Walther PPS 9mm which is closer to the size of the XD9sc but slimmer and is a great shooter.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I still carry my XD9sc once in a while but it is a bit chunky with a spongy trigger. I'm a big guy as well at 6' 220lbs and can conceal it but my G19 is a bit easier to conceal or it just seems that way as it's 8 or so ounces lighter. On the plus side, I have over 5000 rounds without issue through my XD9sc, that's why I keep it.

I carried a XDSC for a while as well and it was bulky. Ended up trading it for a Kahr CW45. Slim and light. I also wasn't comfortable carrying a 9mm after viewing some LE videos of BG's being shot with 9mm ammo. One guy didn't even flinch after taking a hit to the abdomen. I just don't see that happening with a .45 IMHO. Yes it's more expensive to shoot but it's my EDC for personal protection.
Search more, I've seen at least one video of a guy taking a .45 round right to the gut at close range, it did nothing to stop him. The cop only fired only that one round though. I use my .45 as a home defense gun as well but I say with good 9mm self-defense ammo, I'm hoping it does the job as I usually have 16-17 available depending on what gun I'm carrying.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Search more, I've seen at least one video of a guy taking a .45 round right to the gut at close range, it did nothing to stop him. The cop only fired only that one round though. I use my .45 as a home defense gun as well but I say with good 9mm self-defense ammo, I'm hoping it does the job as I usually have 16-17 available depending on what gun I'm carrying.
Couldn't find a video but found a discussion on another forum talking about a similar incident. The truth of the matter is shot placement is key. With that said I want that well placed round to be the largest I can carry comfortably. All handguns are relatively underpowered. But I figure if I can carry a Kahr .45 more comfortably then I was able to carry my XDSC then why not? Still miss my XD though. As someone on that forum said "Forget double tap I'm going for slide lock". And I carry a spare mag.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Couldn't find a video but found a discussion on another forum talking about a similar incident. The truth of the matter is shot placement is key. With that said I want that well placed round to be the largest I can carry comfortably. All handguns are relatively underpowered. But I figure if I can carry a Kahr .45 more comfortably then I was able to carry my XDSC then why not? Still miss my XD though. As someone on that forum said "Forget double tap I'm going for slide lock". And I carry a spare mag.
I have a magazine article here where a young girl, 17 or so, was shot 4 times from a .45 from about a foot away...walked two blocks, sat on a bus stop bench and called 911. Yeah, she lived. Then a burglar is shot dead with one shot by a .22 fired from a hand gun. It's often just luck of the draw it seems.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a magazine article here where a young girl, 17 or so, was shot 4 times from a .45 from about a foot away...walked two blocks, sat on a bus stop bench and called 911. Yeah, she lived. Then a burglar is shot dead with one shot by a .22 fired from a hand gun. It's often just luck of the draw it seems.
I agree. Someone I know from the past got into trouble, he confronted the guy with a.22 revo in his hand then tried to scare him off by cocking the trigger when all of a sudden it went off, the guy fell right in front of him bleeding from the chest and never made it to the nearby hospital. As you've said, luck of the draw. And oh, He said that he never intended to do him, he got away with it from some sort a settlement after a few months.:|

edit:cocking the hammer apparently his finger on the trigger

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I agree. Someone I know from the past got into trouble, he confronted the guy with a.22 revo in his hand then tried to scare him off by cocking the trigger when all of a sudden it went off, the guy fell right in front of him bleeding from the chest and never made it to the nearby hospital. As you've said, luck of the draw. And oh, He said that he never intended to do him, he got away with it from some sort a settlement after a few months.:|
Yeah, all I know is my ultimate goal is to never be in a gunfight!! I'll be happy only having to draw it to shoot targets :D

·
Registered
822 Posts
I am betting one shot to the head in any size round will do the job. I myself like the chunky feel of the XD series pistols. I do not worry much as far as the printing issue. As long as it is covered it is considered concealed and you are following the letter of the law.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts