Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had my XD9 since 2006 and put a lot of rounds through it in that time. My son is ready to move up to a 9mm and do some competition with me. In looking at the new pistols I have been taking a serious look at the XDm.

One of my long standing issues with the XD is that about 80% of the time the slide will not lock back on the last round due to me having my thumb right there. I have learned to train around it, and in competition I try very hard to do reloads without running it dry. It is still annoying though. For those that have had both and possibly had this issue, is the XDm any easier to not do that?

I am thinking that whatever I get him to use I will get two so we can swap mags easier. If I were not to get the XDm, then I would possibly get the XD Tactical for the longer sight radius (for both of us).

·
Registered
403 Posts
So I have had my XD9 since 2006 and put a lot of rounds through it in that time. My son is ready to move up to a 9mm and do some competition with me. In looking at the new pistols I have been taking a serious look at the XDm.

One of my long standing issues with the XD is that about 80% of the time the slide will not lock back on the last round due to me having my thumb right there. I have learned to train around it, and in competition I try very hard to do reloads without running it dry. It is still annoying though. For those that have had both and possibly had this issue, is the XDm any easier to not do that?

I am thinking that whatever I get him to use I will get two so we can swap mags easier. If I were not to get the XDm, then I would possibly get the XD Tactical for the longer sight radius (for both of us).
Haven't held the XD, but from what I hear, the slide release in pretty much the same place. I've seen plenty of reports of people having the slide issue with the XDm.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since it appears to be the same issue with the XDm, then maybe I will move to the Tactical or another platform for both of us. I am not sure at this time if I want to continue to deal with the issue.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Since it appears to be the same issue with the XDm, then maybe I will move to the Tactical or another platform for both of us. I am not sure at this time if I want to continue to deal with the issue.

Thanks.
The slide lock is in the same place on all the xd-xd(m) models, learn to use a proper grip and your problem will be gone!

I shoot all of my xd's and my xd(m)s with no problem with the slide lock.

don

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have to completely agree with you. The slide lock on the XDm platform does seem to fall a bit "short" of the "More Factor." I use my XDm 4.5" to compete with. I carry my XDm Compact, and I will more than likely pickup an XDm 5.25" But I replace the slide stop on every one that I own.

The extended slide lock from Pistol Gear is almost a "must have" for competition shooting. It allows the slide lock to ride just high enough that my thumb clears it no matter where my thumb is.

It never happens during practice. It's easy to make sure your grip is set perfect when you have all of the time in the world. It has happened to me when I've been competing. The reason I compete is to give myself as much of an advantage as possible if I should ever need to utilize these skills in a real life situation.(Hopefully never) And the last thing I want to happen is to have the slide lock back when I still have rounds in the magazine.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I have gripped and gripped my XDm and I don't see how anyone could have an issue with the slide lock.

it stands to reason that if you put your thumb on the slide or slide lock eventually you are gonna get bit. getting bit or interfering with the action means you are probably doing it wrong.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I'm pretty sure the slide release is the same XD and XDm. You can get a different shaped lever after market.

Springfield XD XDm Springer Precision Pistol Gear PistolGear slide stop

it's supposed to be positioned so it's harder to accidentally activate by a stray thumb.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Tried holding my XDm40 in my right hand, and it's hard to see getting my thumb up that high, even without the little divot that's there for it. Now I can palm a basketball, so it's not like I have tiny paws, and I have a cheap 1911 I can't fire left handed because my trigger finger hits the slide lock, but this one's great for me in either hand, you know, gripping it right and all ;)

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
I've had an XD and went to a XDM. Both were good. I just like the backstraps as I have big hands.

If you have problems with the slide release on XDs you just might want to try a different platform. Lots of choices out there.

If your son likes the XD9, why not let him have it.

·
Registered
31,581 Posts
Never had any problems with it on my XDm, then again, I'm a lefty :p
For me, it is there only to stop the slide, as it is very awkward for me to release the slide with it. I just use the slingshot method.
Yet another unapologetically right handed item us southpaws are forced to work around, but that is for another thread.
Seems like you have two options: A. Learn to grip the gun differently. B. Get a different gun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts