Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - Newbie here. I planning on a new purchase and the XD40 looks like a winner. Considering the Glock 23 or Sig 229 DS too. Would appreciate any feedback on it . I would be using it at the range and desert stormin' with my buds and of course home defense. Sell me on the XD people! I'm going to the Gunstore today... desert storming tomorrow.

Vegas Dude

Ruger KP-94 9mm
Ruger 22/45 MKIII Target

soon to be Springfield XD-40 owner

·
Registered
59 Posts
Shoots great, feels alot better than the glock, costs way less than the sig.
Seriously I don't know how you can go wrong owning one. I've had my service model .40 a few days now and everyone that has held it commented favorably on it. Go for it.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Welcome to the board.
I've had the XD9 Subcompact for over a year and it has been flawless. Just traded my Beretta 96 for the XD-40. I could never shoot the Beretta that well but the XD-40 is a different story. Finally have been able to punch large holes in the target at 7 and 10 yards. It fits my hand much better than the Beretta did. I'm not knocking the Beretta, it was the beauty piece of my collection. You won't regret the purchase of any XD pistol.

Springfield is running a nice package right now. The XD-40 in a carrying case, 3 hi cap magazines, the XD-Gear holster, and cable style lock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow- You guys are quick on the replies - Great board! Thanks for the welcome too! I've shot the G23 and I couldn't control the thing. It was a great experience shooting it but too much recoil. I'm not a big guy, 5'8" and 155 lbs. medium grip. How's the recoil on the XD-40 compared to the G23 if anyone of you all happen to know?

Vegas Dude

·
Registered
242 Posts
XD's are great! They feel so good in your hands and definitely feels better than a Glock. Havent shot mine yet since I just got it a couple of hours ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i purchased an XD-40 bout a month ago, only put about 200 rounds through it, but have had zero problems. It has shot flawlessley every time. As far as the recoil, i dont think it is very bad I am 5'11 200 lbs, but I do spend about 30 percent of my time in the gym. And accuracy seems to be very exceptional, today was plinking soda cans at 40 yards. So far I am extremely pleased with my XD....been along time since I was able to say that about a pistol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys and gals - Just got back from the Gunstore and ended up purchasing the XD-40 subcompact. What a nice feeling piece! I haven't shot it yet. field stripped it, wiped and oiled it a little. Was slightly dry. Bought 200 rounds of AE federals, 180 grain 40s&w FMJ for desert shooting tomorrow with 4 of my buds. Can't wait!! This will be my CCW. I was lucky enough to buy the last Promo package they had with the XD gear holster, 2x9 round mags and a 12 rounder, gun lock, barrel brush, and case. Not bad for $429.00. Thanks all for your feedback. I'll post tomorrow with my results my shootin'.

Vegas Dude

XD-40 subcompact (new addition to the family)
RugerP-94 9mm SS
Mark III target 22/45
Next purchase????? (Glock)? (Sig)? or perhaps the 1911 M1A 45ACP

·
Registered
245 Posts
R/T Performance said:
can always put don's guide rod and heavy spring to lessen recoil force :D
Yep thats what I did. I had an XD40 but sold it and got the 357sig which is my favorite. Installed Don's Guide rod and a 22 lb spring and shoot my both my XD357SIG AND XD9MM better than any pistol I have ever owned. I have had a few Glocks but always got rid of them. Good pistols but I just couldn't get use to that grip.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
i too am very pleased with my XD-40......poppin beer cans at a good 30 yds...i didnt think it was possible either until i aimed and seen em pop up 20ft
i have the 22-lb spring kit in mine as well...the slide is slightly harder to pull back than the stock spring....but will get easier after you get used to it
it gives the slide the nice tight "snap" that i like in a weapon
i used to carry a Ruger P90 .45cal all the time....handling the .40 is a breeze after using high octane ACP rounds
I hope you enjoy your new XD..but beware..it's addictive!

·
Registered
59 Posts
That .40SC package gun is a great setup. You definitely bought the right pistol. I ran a clip through my Service .40 today and it was dead on the money. Looking forward to hearing how yours shoots.

·
Registered
245 Posts
CmptrN3rd said:
Is the slide hard to pull back with the 22lb spring? Cause Im weak and when I hold the slide back, my hands are shaking. lol

Nope not for me. Best way I found to rack the slide is to wrap my left hand over the top of the slide. I can say for sure that the 22 lb spring really helped with muzzled flip.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Its probably harder for me because Im not used to it it being my first gun and all and since its new maybe. Not that it matters but does a tighter spring make the gun also load faster since the slide wants to come back stronger?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts