Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a someone trying to sell me a Remington 700, I know very little about bolt action. I was hoping someone here maybe able to help me. Im trying to find any info about it. Its a heavy barrel with like a blue finish, the stock is a H.S. Precision thats gray an black. Im thinking its the Remington 700 VS but not sure. Im just trying to figure out what this may be worth

Thanks

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
If you know very little about such guns and someone is 'trying' to sell it to you, you do need to get help with the sale in my opinion.

It could have a worn-out barrel or maybe the guy just needs money, who knows?

We need:
caliber
barrel length
what info is stamped on the barrel
type of stock? (wood, composite, how fat is the foregrip?)

The 700 is the best bolt gun for the money in my opinion.
I have the 700PSS which is the same as the 700VS with a slightly different stock. Shoots 1/2 MOA with no mods (except I reload precision rounds).
The stock trigger is crappy and non-adjustable but you can drop a new, good trigger into the gun yourself without a gunsmith. Maybe the seller already changed out the trigger or maybe it's older and had the old trigger which WAS factory adjustable.

Pictures?
Details?
How much does he want for it?
Does it come w/ a sling, or reloading dies or anything?

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Find out the model and I can give you book value as long as my wife didn't throw my books away.Personally I'd look for a 10FP Savage but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Yeah...pictures really are worth a 1,000 words (often more...). Without pictures or at a minimum, more details on the rifle, nobody is going to be able to help you much.

Could be almost anything:

700 BDL with an upgraded stock;
700P (Police);
700 PSS;
700 VS;
Sendero; and
etc., etc.

Depending on the model and condition, as well as any included accessories, optics, etc., will dictate the price.

Get us all some more details and we'll try to give you a better response. Also, Tard has a really good suggestion when he says get some help with the sale. From the sounds of it...you don't really know much about the rifle at all and a "novice" (no offense) can't really tell what the condition of a firearm is even if it looks great on the outside (barrel could be shot out, could have run corrosive ammo through it, etc.). Your best bet may be to have a local smith take a look at it for you, or at a minimum get some more details from the owner, including any paperwork he has on the rifle, an idea of the round count (including types of ammo fired through it and accuracy claims), and problems he may have had or may be having with it, etc.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
That sounds like a VS ,I have one in .243 and it shoots 1/2 moa with a couple of factory loads and even better with handloads.Pretty amazing for a box stock rifle.The trigger pull can be lightened easily if it is an older one,check the Remington website for how to do it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not really a novice with firearms, I know what to look for. I just wasn't sure what model 700 it was. Im more of a semi auto rifle person. I trying to get into more precise shooting. I cant get pictures until tomorrow or Monday.
But I did find out it was a 700 VS .
caliber.308
barrel length 26"
what info is stamped on the barrel XX Which I think means it was made 12/2003
type of stock? composite, the foregrip is kinda skinny

The barrel look great, I comes with a harris bi pod but no scope.

I can get it for $200.00

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I can get it for $200.00
You could probably sell the parts for more than that if you need/want a bolt gun GO GET IT! The 700s were/are top notch, the 7XX series, not so much.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have had 3 remington 700's so far, .308, .204, 22-250 and i couldnt have been happier, they shoot great, seem to be very reliable i havent had one problem with them at all. I would def get one with a hs precision stock or plant to buy an aftermarket stock right away cuz those SPS stocks are JUNK, very flimsy and cheap.

The guy the shoot with has a remington 700 police in .308 and can shoot a 5 shot 5in group at 825yards, with custom reloads of course.

But yes i will def say +1 on the 700.

Lemme know if ya have any other questions or need pics or something.

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Yeah...the HS stock, if it is in good shape, is worth at least what you paid for the rifle if not more. Even if you had to rebarrel the rifle, you are still going to come out WAAAAY ahead on a deal like that. Hell, the 700 action/bolt/trigger assembly alone are worth close to $400!!!!

NICE PICK UP!!!

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Im not really a novice with firearms, I know what to look for. I just wasn't sure what model 700 it was. Im more of a semi auto rifle person. I trying to get into more precise shooting. I cant get pictures until tomorrow or Monday.
But I did find out it was a 700 VS .
caliber.308
barrel length 26"
what info is stamped on the barrel XX Which I think means it was made 12/2003
type of stock? composite, the foregrip is kinda skinny

The barrel look great, I comes with a harris bi pod but no scope.

I can get it for $200.00
I'd buy it if the barrel looked like a pretzel ... That's one heck of a good price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im going to wait until after winter to buy the scope. Ill try to post pics tomorrow. The worst thing about buying it is keeping it hide from the wife. Since I just put a S&W Ar15 on layaway for christmas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry about taking so long with the pics, I had to get a camera from a buddie, Mine broke. Here they are. What do you think this rifle is worth?

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
you would have no problem selling it for $400 .... just the harris bi pod is worth $65 or so, i am not sure the stock what it is, but as mentioned you go the whole unit for less than the price of a barreled action.

good deal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The stock is H-S Precision. The harris bipod is just a little dusty from sitting. Nothing a little cleaner wont fix.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
nope its a fake piece of crap! ill give you $200 for it just because i am a nice guy. dont trust these other guys they dont know what they are talking about :D

·
Registered
512 Posts
Can you say steal? I had a 700 SPS Varmint .223 that I regret every day trading. It was a great rifle, but I traded it for something that I thought I just had to have (which I don't have anymore). I really, really want another 700 (I'd like to have the same set-up but in .308)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts