Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys i'm thinking of picking up a .458 Socom upper as from my reading will pin to my current lower and require no modifications. I am trying to see if anyone here has experience with one and can maybe weigh in ? I'm thinking every now and then blasting a few .458's at the range would be fun.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
My buddy had one for hog hunting for a while. They are cool, but he quickly got sick of spending $3-4/round and sold it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know the ammo is a pain it would be a once in a while thing , but yeah that's crazy ... I may get a reload setup. Did you your friend use pmags or gi mags ? Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
I think the Thumpers have pretty much died off. The mid range (300, 6.5, 6.8 ) are still thriving.

Of the thumpers; the 50 beowulf and the 45 bushy will probably live on in the straight-walled hunting cartridge world, but he 458 I believe would not qualify.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you reload, I'd run the 450 bushmaster setup. My buddy just dropped a 400lb bear with two shots last month. Which for an ar platform rocks! Its a super impressive round out to 200yrds then the trajectory turns into a free fall. But 458 socom is pretty radical and might perform about the same. I just have experience and bias towards the 450 after seeing and shooting it. But its definitely a reload only situation. We shoot mule deer, elk and bear around these parts and for thickly wooded areas its a great niche gun.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what kind of buttstock does your friend have on the .450 rig ? thanks for reply man !

·
Registered
52 Posts
I love my 9.5" 458(right) its got a good thump to it. Its exspensive to shoot even reloading for it but its worth it. Its definitely more popular and got more support than the other big bores so I dont know where that statement comes from.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts