Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on a good upper to build on that's NJ legal? I've been looking at PSA site and there is so much info to digest I thought I'd ask before getting excited about something I can't have. Everything I look at appears to have a flash hider........

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you have threaded barrel you have to put a Muzzle break pinned and welded on. If you want a complete uppers at great prices look at Bravo company uppers.

Jeremy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually with a detachable mag, pistol grip, and flash hider it's illegal in NJ
Isn't that flash hider itself illegal?

Pistol grip and detachable mag are ok though. I'll have to research more. I'm just looking for a barrel or complete upper without a flash hider or even threaded for that matter. RRA Varming uppers look sweet.......just too pricey for my wallet at the moment.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
They look nice.............except that's more than what I'm looking to spend on just my upper. I'll have to shop some more.
Build your own. Buy an Anderson MFG blem upper, parts kit, a 18" heavier barrel with crown, no threads (likely mid-length, .750" at gas block), a gas block and tube, a charging handle (definitely recommend BCM here), and a FF handguard (Midwest Industries comes to mind for a decent product at a good price) and you're set. Go for a 5.56 chamber.

Isn't that flash hider itself illegal?

Pistol grip and detachable mag are ok though. I'll have to research more. I'm just looking for a barrel or complete upper without a flash hider or even threaded for that matter. RRA Varming uppers look sweet.......just too pricey for my wallet at the moment.
No, you just can't have two or more of the listed "features". If you put a flash hider on a bolt action, technically it would pass because it could have a detachable magazine and a flash hider, but not a pistol grip.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Blem upper: $38

M4 Flat Top Upper Receiver Stripped COSMETIC BLEMS

UPK: $19

https://www.stagarms.com/upper-receiver-assembly-kit/

BCG/Bolt combo $89

AIM 5.56/.223 AR Bolt Carrier Group w/ Carpenter 158 MPI Bolt

Barrel $170

https://www.stagarms.com/crowned-16-5-56-m4-barrel/

Gas block $20 (tube $10)

DPMS .750 Low Profile Gas Block, Short (Set Screw)
Mid Length Gas Tube w/ pin

Free Float Handguard $115

Rock River Arms: RRA TRO Free Float Rails

Charging handle $45

Vltor BCM-GFH BCM Gunfighter 5.56mm Charging Handle

TOTAL: $506 without shipping

That's 15 minutes of searching, that produced an upper with a good barrel that's a 16" midlength (very manageable recoil, less likely to be overgassed) target crowned barrel that's free floated and has one of the best value BCG's and one of the best charging handles on the market.

Build it if you're looking to save money. I guarantee you can beat the prices up there.

ETA: sorry, that's a carbine length. you'll need to adjust the parts to match

·
Registered
9 Posts
Actually with a detachable mag, pistol grip, and flash hider it's illegal in NJ
That is true but if you buy a muzzle break not a flash hider it is legal. You can buy a threaded barrel but the muzzle break has to be pinned and welded.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Buy an upper with a muzzle brake and then have the muzzle brake silver soldered on with a blind pin. The bayonet lug can be ground off as well. It'll be legal at that point. magpul makes several nice fixed stocks as well.

Bcm is advertising a free BCG and comp with the purchase of their uppers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Blem upper: $38

UPK: $19

https://www.stagarms.com/upper-receiver-assembly-kit/

BCG/Bolt combo $89

AIM 5.56/.223 AR Bolt Carrier Group w/ Carpenter 158 MPI Bolt

Barrel $170

https://www.stagarms.com/crowned-16-5-56-m4-barrel/

Gas block $20 (tube $10)

DPMS .750 Low Profile Gas Block, Short (Set Screw)
Mid Length Gas Tube w/ pin

Free Float Handguard $115

Rock River Arms: RRA TRO Free Float Rails

Charging handle $45

Vltor BCM-GFH BCM Gunfighter 5.56mm Charging Handle

TOTAL: $506 without shipping

That's 15 minutes of searching, that produced an upper with a good barrel that's a 16" midlength (very manageable recoil, less likely to be overgassed) target crowned barrel that's free floated and has one of the best value BCG's and one of the best charging handles on the market.

Build it if you're looking to save money. I guarantee you can beat the prices up there.

ETA: sorry, that's a carbine length. you'll need to adjust the parts to match
Or this????????

BLEM 20" BULL SS 1X8 5.56 YHM RIFLE LW 4 RAIL HG RHGB

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
That would be a good upper, but it'll be for more bench and stationary varmint shooting. It'll be a heavy AR, and I doubt the quality of the BCG and the charging handle will be the same.

That being said, that upper will show considerably less over-gassing and felt recoil will be lighter.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That would be a good upper, but it'll be for more bench and stationary varmint shooting. It'll be a heavy AR, and I doubt the quality of the BCG and the charging handle will be the same.

That being said, that upper will show considerably less over-gassing and felt recoil will be lighter.
That's me, a range shooter. I'm not LE so unless SHTF I won't be slinging my AR on my back. Thanks for the input/help. I'm still torn on whether to buy compelte, build or do a partial build.

J Wett

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Normally for a first time AR guy, I would say build the lower, buy the upper. I don't know what your case is... building will get you better quality at the same price point, buying will get you a "warranty" from a single manufacturer to fall back on

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Normally for a first time AR guy, I would say build the lower, buy the upper. I don't know what your case is... building will get you better quality at the same price point, buying will get you a "warranty" from a single manufacturer to fall back on
Decided to build! Ordered the stripped upper. I'll be posting a lot probably.......looking for help along the way. Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds good man. Let us know whatever you need help on.
So with that upper and stag barrel mentioned earlier what is going to be size specific so I don't order wrong parts. I don't want to skimp on gas system bag or charging handle. Thanks!

J WETT

1 - 20 of 23 Posts