Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly familiar with many handguns, but long guns tend to be a different story. I'm planning on getting a .22 for Christmas and was thinking about a Marlin 60...thoughts? I'm really not planning on doing much to it, I just want a reliable, fun, .22 to play around with.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
people have them and love them. I have a 10/22 and love it.

I think you can't go wrong with a 60 though. especially at the price point.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I'm in the market for a .22 right now mysefl. I want the 10/22 SF. But Dicks has a Mossberg on sale for $129 this week, thats a cheap autoloader. My cousin had a 60 growing up, we probally put somewhere near 20k through it. Untill he melted the trigger group with some sort of cleaner he put on the plastic. Gun still worked you just had to make sure the trigger group didn't fall out.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Model 60s are good guns if you like the tube feed. While I've had a model 60 for about 30 years I don't shoot it as much as my 10/22. I find detachable mags more convenient to load and unload.

A good alternative to the model 60 or the 10/22 is the Marlin Model 795. It uses 10 shot mags, is a couple inches shorter than the 60, half a pound lighter (plastic stock) and $100 cheaper than the 10/22. Sales and factory rebates put the 795 at about $100 give or take $5 or $10. Dunhams just had them at $94.99 (blued model) after the rebate this weekend.

In fact, the 795 is basically a model 60 but with detachable mags instead of a tube. Internal parts interchange (except fo the tube and mag parts though you could build either on the barreled upper).

I would choose a 10/22 first but I bought a 795 last spring to play with and have found it to be a heck of a bang for the buck. I liked it so much I bought another one at Dunhams today. :D

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have a 60 that I put tech peep sites on. The rfile is inexpensive, accurate, reliable, fun to shoot, and .22 ammo is cheap. I picked the 60 over the 795 because I did not want a magazine sticking out the bottom and I liked the barrel better (longer and heavier than the 795 when I looked at both). I made this purchase earlier this year and absolutely do not regret it.

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
I've got a newer Model 60 in SS (with gray & black-stained stock) and an older 10/22. Love 'em both. Have a Nikon Prostaff scope on the Model 60... it is a tack driver. Have a Redmond Widefield scope on the 10/22. This particular 10/22 cannot shoot as tight a group my Marlin. Don't get me wrong... there is nothing wrong with it... the Marlin is just tighter.

If push came to shove and I had to sell one of them, I'd part with the 10/22 before the Model 60.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have two model 60s (one that I've owned for nearly two decades). They are excellent rifles. No, you can't stick a 100-round, ground-tickling banana clip on it. But, it's a quality rifle that will last and last. As a kid, I shot that thing year after year--in all kids of weather--and I never cleaned it. No problems at all. Now, nearly 20 years later, the only part I've had to replace (after probably 1,000+ rounds) was a $5 buffer.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm in the market for a .22 right now mysefl. I want the 10/22 SF. But Dicks has a Mossberg on sale for $129 this week, thats a cheap autoloader. My cousin had a 60 growing up, we probally put somewhere near 20k through it. Untill he melted the trigger group with some sort of cleaner he put on the plastic. Gun still worked you just had to make sure the trigger group didn't fall out.
Cabelas, if you are close to one, have the Ruger 10/22 on black Friday sale for 169.99. I am looking at a Marlin 39a Golden for my first 22 rifle. Have my eye's on 3 for sale :twisted::twisted::twisted:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can't really go wrong with the model 60. I have quite a few .22's.
Couple of Ruger 10/22's, Savage model 6, an old springfield, and a Model 60.

The model 60 is by far the most accurate, and most fun to shoot!

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
My favorite gun to shot is my 60.

For the money, it doesn't get much more accurate.

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
They shoot AWESOME and are dead accurate!

You can NEVER go wrong with a Marlin 60

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just wanted to say how pleased I am with Marlin, product and company.

10OCT2011
My Marlin Model 60 had a bent up recoil spring. I was looking at replacement parts (pretty easy to find) when I found another guy having the same problem who had posted a thread on another forum (The Firing Line) and someone replied to his post, "Have you tried calling Marlin (800) 544-8892?"

Sounded like a good idea to me too, so I called and I got through to a person pretty quick. With zero run around they're sending me two recoil springs (one for back up) free of charge. The guy, Danny, asked for the serial number, took my name and address and that's it.

The only thing is that the part was on back order, so said they'd send it just as soon as it comes available. I was happy to wait in this case.
The gun is a fantastic squirrel gun and range plinker. :cool:

20OCT2011
Got the part so I did'nt even have to wait long.:eek:

It's a good gun and Marlin's customer service is great! You won't reget getting it. :D

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
For out of the box accuracy and reliability, the Model 60 is the winner.
The only thing I've done to it is to mount Tech-Sights and a sling.
Some complain about reloading it's tube mag, I use a Spee-D-Loader.

14 shots at 25 meters, using the tech sights.

I have a 10/22 too, had to make mods from day one to improve ergonomic/functioning/accuracy.

My next .22 rifle, will be a good bolt action.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts