Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new, obviously, to the forum and to handguns. I've shot rifles before but plan on getting my concealed weapons permit since Obama plans (so he said) on banning handgun ownership to everyone other than law enforcement.

So I'm thinking about the XD9 Subcompact. Anyone give me a reason why I shouldn't? Is it good for a handgun noobie? I'll mainly carry it on the motorcycle and use it for house defense (there's been a whole lot of motorcycles stolen in my area, as well as vehicles from peoples houses, not to mention home invasions).

Anyone giving some noobie advice? I'd appreciate it. This is the gun I was going to purchase and then take the class with.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
XD 9sc is a good weapon..I have the 4"service...Keep in mind even if you have your CCW you can not use it to defend property only bodily harm or life.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
XD 9sc is a good weapon..I have the 4"service...Keep in mind even if you have your CCW you can not use it to defend property only bodily harm or life.
That really depends on what state your in. Some allow only self-defense, while others allow defense of property, even defense of neighbors property if I'm not mistaken.

Bottom line, learn as much as you can about your states CC laws just to make sure youre always within the law when your carrying.

As far as the xd9sc, its a great little gun. Take a look at the 4' service model also. I have a xd40 service and its actually not as hard to conceal as you would think, and I'm a little guy (5'11 170lbs).

9mm is a good caliber, because its so cheap. As you said youre new to handguns, so its gonna take some practice to get good with it, and if the ammo is cheaper than thats more practice you can get. Just pick up a box of quality hollowpoints to set aside for your defensive rounds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That really depends on what state your in. Some allow only self-defense, while others allow defense of property, even defense of neighbors property if I'm not mistaken.

Bottom line, learn as much as you can about your states CC laws just to make sure youre always within the law when your carrying.

As far as the xd9sc, its a great little gun. Take a look at the 4' service model also. I have a xd40 service and its actually not as hard to conceal as you would think, and I'm a little guy (5'11 170lbs).

9mm is a good caliber, because its so cheap. As you said youre new to handguns, so its gonna take some practice to get good with it, and if the ammo is cheaper than thats more practice you can get. Just pick up a box of quality hollowpoints to set aside for your defensive rounds.
I already started to look up the laws in texas as far as concealing, but I had to print them out to read them. From glancing that I did, I see it mainly as a 'location' to where you can and cannot carry but nothing on how it can be used (as you said like property defense / personal harm). The wording that I see is all like:

You can't carry in a school.
You can't carry in a place where kids are in abundance.
etc etc...

·
Registered
416 Posts
I think you'd be better off with the XD9 service, for a first handgun the longer sight radius will help you shoot better. The longer barrel isn't usually the problem with carrying. The grip length is only .75" shorter on a sub-compact with the short magazine, I don't feel it's enough to make a difference.

I do own both compact and servce size XD's

·
Registered
12 Posts
I purchased the xd9 service and then the xdsc9. I love both, but the xdsc shoots more accurate for me and is easier to conceal. If I were to have to choseonly one to purchase, it would be the xdsc9. You can use higher capacity mags as you wish. You will happy with either.

·
Registered
855 Posts
My XD-9 was (and still is for now) my first centerfire pistol. I bought the 4" service model and absolutely love it. I'm probably going to use it for CCW once I get my permit, hopefully in less than a month - after I take the required course next weekend.

Not an expert by any means, but I'd recommend the 9mm service model to start. And isn't Texas an 'open carry' state? I have no idea what the laws are down there, but if it is then the larger size may not be an issue. (Sorry if I'm out of line on that.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts