Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting either an XD40sc or the 45c.... Thoughts? It will become my primary carry IWB most of the time I'm prob going to get a crossbreed supertuck for it and my XD9service (my current primary carry).

I have also thought of glock 27 or 30, and the M&P compact pistols.

I think it would be good to stick with a certian series of pistols tho IE XD's M&P's or glocks..... thoughts on that too please...

Thanks,

Aaron.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The xd40sc will hav a shorter barrel than the 45 compact, 3 inches vs 4 or 5 inches. But at the same time it will have a smaller mag capacity, 9 rounds vs 10 (not including the extended mags). From my experience handling each of those, I can say for sure that the subcompacts (40s and 9mm) are significantly smaller than the compact 45's. So if size is a concern than the xd40sc is the way to go, but either are smaller than the service model.

If your looking at other pistols the glock 27 and m&p compact are good pistols to look at. Personally I dont like the subcompact glocks, but some people do. As far as the m&p compacts, I have one and like it as much as I like my xd. Its not as small as the xd subcompacts, its about halfway between a xd sc and xdc as far as size, but it has a larger capacity. I'm not sure what the capacity for the 40 is, but the 9mm compact carries 12 rounds. But they arent in 45, just 40, 357 sig, and 9mm.

As far as keeping all your pistols in the same "family", thats kind of a personal thing. I know a few guys will tell you to stick to one type of pistol, for obvious reasons that you'll know how to manipulate your weapon in a stressful situation. But, you'll also see alot of guys saying to vary it up a little to spice things up. One reason I like to vary things up so I can honestly talk about one gun or another, and not just speak off of what I read on the internet or in magazines.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I'd suggest a trip to the range so you can try them all out. You have 2-3 different calibers spread across three totally different guns. I tried just about all of those you listed. Didn't like the feel of the M&P, Glocks feel to fat in my hand, and I didn't like the XD9SC muzzle flip. (Not a fan of 9mm but that's just me.) The XD-45C was a great fit for me and should work in your ST.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well, you already have a full size XD9, so the easiest thing to do would be to get the XD9SC and you can then use the same mags on the range.

The XD40SC has an odd "twist' and punch when you shoot it. Many here have traded their XD40SC's for the 9mm counterpart because the 40 is just a tad abusive compared to other like-sized 40's.

I prefer the G26/27 to the little XD's honestly. They shoot a bit nicer, and in my personal experience they are more accurate. I've said this before, but I'll say it again so no XD freaks jump on that statement... I've had G23's that weren't as accurate as my XD40 V10, and I've had G26/27's that were more accurate than my XD9SC... just luck of the draw I suppose.

The G26/27's are great little shooters, easy to carry, and every bit as capable as the XD. I prefer the recoil management of the Glock however, and to me that's a big deal.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
I would also recommend the XD9SC. Same caliber = share ammo and share magazines. The 40SC is pretty snappy too. It will be manageable, but it will take some getting used to. If you want to get something besides another 9, then the get the 45C for sure!

·
Premium Member
127,085 Posts
I also recommend the XD9SC. That's what I did and I certainly don't regret the decision.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Now, I read a thread here (can't find it now) that said that there is little difference between the XDSC 9 and 40. I am considering a 40 to go along with my 40 service...but had considered the 9 until I read the thread about them being similar in handling and recoil.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Now, I read a thread here (can't find it now) that said that there is little difference between the XDSC 9 and 40. I am considering a 40 to go along with my 40 service...but had considered the 9 until I read the thread about them being similar in handling and recoil.
Well the SC 40 and 9mm are the same size, the 40 recoil will surely be different though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would suggest finding a range that rents them both and try them.

I personally LOVE my Service sized 40, but felt the SC in 40 was a bit harsh for my liking, so I opted for the 9 in the SC. Many have agreed.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I prefer my 45c over my 9sc.... it just feels right to me. The grip is slightly longer than the 9sc. The 45c is a little heaver than the 9sc but I dont find it that big of a difference when using the same holster.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
CyBuzz,
40 cal tends to become more snappy the shorter the barrel. 9mm tends not to get harsher. I have shot 40 through a Glock 27(subcompact) and and Glock 23(compact). The Glock 23 is much nicer to shot, less snap on recoil. My XD45 on the other hand has more of a push recoil.
Just my observations.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I agree with hilefai. I sold my 40sc after I got my 45c. I like the 45acp round, and it felt better in my hands.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I should not be reading this as it will get me into trouble, and I will end up with a 45 :)

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I should not be reading this as it will get me into trouble, and I will end up with a 45 :)
I absolutely love my 45 compact. After well over 1000 rounds it has had zero issues and just seems to get better the more I shoot it. I liked the Glock 36, but the XD fit my hand better. A 9 and a 45 compliment each other really well in a collection IMO.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I'd suggest the SC9 if nothing else than compatibility of ammo and magazines. Not to mention it'll likely be much easier to carry for extended periods of time/ warmer weather.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts