Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally had an XD45. Perfect gun, loved it. Due to me being a poor man I moved to XDm 9mm to save money shooting, I shoot a lot. I love the XDm 9mm, never had a problem and it eats whatever I feed it.

Anyways I hate the mags. Unless the springs are brand new, they will not feed steel case, which is disappointing because my gun I love shooting steel case. They would bind and stay stuck, would not move up.

I ccw everyday. So my mags are constantly under load. I buy the springs from Springer Precision I think it was. I have to get new springs every 2000 rounds it seems. After that only brass case ammo can be used. Then after a year since buying them I have to replace them. And they are expensive! Where as other brands like M&P are like $4. I am thinking about moving back to XD but stay with the 9mm. Do they last longer, the mag springs? My thinking is we are trying to squeeze too many rounds in a mag.

What am I doing wrong? How often do you replace mag springs? Is this normal?

More information: For the past four years I have been living in China, during that time I ccw 3 months out of the year total when I am here in the States. And shoot a total of 500 rounds during those 3 months. I had to replace the springs twice during that time. And when I am out of country the mags are left unloaded. I left them loaded for 8 months once, and I had to replace my XDm, P11, and AR 15 mag springs.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'm confused...you say you shoot a lot but you only live in the states 3 months out of the year and durring this time you only shoot 500 rounds? And you sold your "perfect gun ever" because it was costing you to much to shoot? :confused:

Keep your current pistol and leave the mags empty while your away! And quit shooting that crap steel case ammo!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm confused...you say you shoot a lot but you only live in the states 3 months out of the year and durring this time you only shoot 500 rounds? And you sold your "perfect gun ever" because it was costing you to much to shoot? :confused:

Keep your current pistol and leave the mags empty while your away! And quit shooting that crap steel case ammo!

yup. The past four years I didn't do much shooting, its illegal there... Before that and now that I am home, I shoot a lot.

So, how long do you think the mag springs should last? How long do yours last?

I kinda know not to leave my mags loaded...

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
If you're going to shoot steel cased ammo try Silver Bear or Brown Bear, as the cases are coated and will reduce the amount of friction against the side walls of your mags. If your shooting some of that Wolf crap, notice how the cases have a rough finish compared to good brass cases.

It also couldn't hurt to treat the interior of your magazines with FrogLube. It might just be enough lubrication to make those mags feed the way you're expecting them to.

Personally, the only steel cased ammo I shoot is through my AK. Everything else is brass.

·
Banned
0 Posts
There is nothing wrong with leaving your mags loaded. It will not hurt the springs at all. You can get stronger springs from Wolff or agp. Also look into reloading if you are trying to save on ammo cost or shoot more.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
I keep my mags loaded (long term) with 1 or 2 less rounds than thier capacity. For range use you can load 'em up to full-boat (I personally do not...consistentcy rules) , but if they're gonna be sitting like that for awhile, ie: home defense piece or carry piece, I leave them a couple rds short. It puts less stress on the springs and if you do it consistently you can keep track of when you're gonna run dry, that's why I practice with what I pack.

I don't know how to spell consistency.

I've also read that steel cased ammo is bad for the extractor AND does damage to the inner walls of the magazine.

AND I still can't spell consistancy.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Since you are a "newbie" on the forum..Welcome from Central Florida.

·
Registered
931 Posts
how do you and your gun function when shooting brass? do all your problems go away? if so, problem solved.

personally, i don't think you are wearing out your mag springs, seems kind of unlikely

·
Registered
543 Posts
Shoot better ammo, or reload. Please.

Leaving mags loaded does not wear-out springs. Using mags wears-out springs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree, steel case in my AR's... fine... not in my XD/XDM's. Reloading is great if you have the time as well.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
yup. The past four years I didn't do much shooting, its illegal there... Before that and now that I am home, I shoot a lot.

So, how long do you think the mag springs should last? How long do yours last?

I kinda know not to leave my mags loaded...
I've had my XDm going on three years with maybe 3000 rounds so my springs are still working fine.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
take a look at FreedomMunitions.com if you need less expensive range ammo..... but, that being said....

I run an XDMc in 9mm, and a full size XDM.40, shoot everything with them. cheapest steel, reloads, quality ammo.... both eat everything I can feed, from Tula, to Wolf, to Silver Bear and Brown Bear.

Lots of guys here have the same results.

I Might suggest that you take a look at the mags themselves and see if there isn't a problem with them.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
take a look at FreedomMunitions.com if you need less expensive range ammo..... but, that being said....

I run an XDMc in 9mm, and a full size XDM.40, shoot everything with them. cheapest steel, reloads, quality ammo.... both eat everything I can feed, from Tula, to Wolf, to Silver Bear and Brown Bear.

Lots of guys here have the same results.

I Might suggest that you take a look at the mags themselves and see if there isn't a problem with them.

I have but I'll look again. Shooting brass solves all the problems but I just like the feeling that I can shoot steel if need be. If I am looking at the mags, what in particular should I look at? I know cracked feed lips but anything else?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am still using the springs from my first XDm 4.5 that I brought 4 years ago. My guess is my springs all have at least a couple of thousand rounds each (I have 10).
A tip for shooting steel case ammo, if you reload or knows somebody who reloads, tumble the loaded rounds in the vibratory tumbler for 5 min that has corn cob media with a polish additive – the stuff will coat your rounds and make them super slick and you will never have a problem…

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am still using the springs from my first XDm 4.5 that I brought 4 years ago.My guess is my springs all have at least a couple of thousand rounds each (I have 10).
A tip for shooting steel case ammo, if you reload or knows somebody who reloads, tumble the loaded rounds in the vibratory tumbler for 5 min that has corn cob media with a polish additive – the stuff will coat your rounds and make them super slick and you will never have a problem…
I don't reload but if I ever did get into it, good tip. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
You shouldn't have to replace the springs on any of those guns that often...I don't think it's your mag springs at all. I just replaced the mag springs in my duty weapon....to my knowledge they have never been replaced and the weapon was purchased new with the mags in 1998. Those mags have been loaded pretty much 365 days a year for the last 16 years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My duty weapon is a sig p226. Its an original made in W. Germany sig with factory mags about 20 years old. And still have factory springs in them. They have stayed loaded for the last 3 years with only being unloaded to qualify and shoot for fun. Then they are loaded back up and carried on duty. No problems ever. Ive shot reloads, steel case, every type of brass load you can think of and probably have 15k rounds between the 3 mags. I take them apart every other qualification (every 6 months) and clean them lube them and get all the junk out of them. Dont think its your mag springs. Granted its not an xdm. But I doubt springfield is selling that weak of springs. Let us know if you solve the problem. If you havnt. Try cleaning the mags and lubing them.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have an XD45 myself and i shoot steel and brass ammo. And with some steel i get failure to feed. I find that its really got nothing to do with how new the springs are.

But is entirely dependent on how smooth the steel is.

The steel casings are binding up on themselves, the semi rough finish on them creates extra friction and the added pressure from the mag spring makes them stick to each other even more.

I got curious once, with some that were binding up almost 2-3 times per mag. So i took a rag i had and sprayed it with a good bit of CLP, then unloaded my mags and rolled the ammo around on in my hand with the rag around them. They weren't soaked but had a nice layer of the CLP on them.

Reloaded them into the magazine and they worked fine. Since then I do not buy steel ammo for handguns online, only in person so i can look at how smooth the casings are first, and get the smoothest ones i find after checking a few different boxes.

It also seems to me that some brands have smoother or rougher cases in general, like tula and wolf, is essentially the same thing, they are even loaded at the same factories. But one of them usually has a slightly better finish on the casings than the other. Usually(can vary though) tula is the roughest, then wolf, then the brown/silver bear stuff.

Also watch out for the lacquer coated rounds those SUCK when its time to clean your gun and they make the chamber sticky which leads to some FTE issues

1 - 20 of 21 Posts