Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found a pretty good deal (at least I think I did) on a Shield .40--both factory mags/box/paperwork and a DeSantis IWB for $285 cash...

Is this a good price? Are they decent pistols? Anything to beware of?

Be honest and help me decide to snap it up or pass it up...

·
Premium Member
128,164 Posts
Yes, that is a good price.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Grab it.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Sounds good but I hate the .40.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I got a Shield 9 new for not much more than that. I have a local LGS that sells them brand spanking new for $359. You have to decide if that is worth the discount. Check out gunwatcher.com and see how you feel about the new price vs what you found. If you get it, you should be able to get out of it for about $300, maybe a touch less.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I was so afraid you were going to say you were thinking about a...well, you know.

I don't see how you can go wrong with that. If I've ever heard/seen someone say they are unhappy with their Shield, then it is was unmemorable or so long ago I can't recall.

Can't believe you would lose anything on it if you decided it wasn't for you.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys...I put the ball back into the seller's court...waiting to hear back from him about it...I was thinking it would make a nice "on the job" carry piece since it is typically riding around in a toolbag or my laptop case and my beloved XDsc isn't ideal for that role...

I handload for .40...I own 2 XD platforms in .40...I do not currently own a single 9mm so that is the major reason the "big brother" Shield was considered...though admittedly I am eyeing the HK VP9, so if this doesn't end up working out, maybe a Shield 9mm will :grin:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I was so afraid you were going to say you were thinking about a...well, you know.

I don't see how you can go wrong with that. If I've ever heard/seen someone say they are unhappy with their Shield, then it is was unmemorable or so long ago I can't recall.

Can't believe you would lose anything on it if you decided it wasn't for you.
are you calling me unmemorable? I was unhappy with my Shield.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Recently bought a 9mm shield $379 out the door and a de saints mini scabbard for $35 So $285 for both not bad. By the way the shield is great very light and easy to conceal 500 plus rounds and not a single problem surprisingly light recoil for such a small gun.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yes, I guess. Either that, or I have CRS....probably the latter.

I had completely forgotten your issues, sorry.
No worries. The Shield is a fine gun. Many have been flawless. Just wasn't for me. I won't bad mouth the thing, but I also don't want folks to think they are perfect either.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
I would buy it for that price.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
I believe some of the early Shields in .40 had issues with the mag catch allowing the mag to jettison early. Really can't tell if it was just a lousy shooter hitting it during recoil, or if there was a genuine problem. Either way, I haven't heard it repeated or even spoken of in the past two years.

EDIT: Forgot to say - just get the damn thing!

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
seller backed out...no reason given...keepin my eyes open for another...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts