Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out on post close to my house they are selling a few brand gun, and one of them are the Shield the price is going to be $315 so what do you guys think and which one? Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
It really depends on which round you want to run. I have one in .40 and it handles recoil extremely well for something so small and lightweight. Obviously 9mm will always buck less, but don't let the idea of the infamous .40 snap scare you off.

If you get the opposite caliber barrel, they are pretty easily interchangeable for a quick conversion. The only difference is that the .40 barrel is slightly wider on the upper tang on the back of the barrel hood. I believe it is 0.011" wider. So if you put a .40 barrel in a 9mm slide, that will have to be filed a touch. If you put a 9mm barrel in a .40 slide, it will be slightly loose up there, but it doesn't really affect the lock up because the other points are the same dimensions.

Replacement barrels are harder to come by than they should be to do a conversion because Smith&Wesson is being a douche about the conversion.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay thanks I have a few days to decide the sale start today to the 9th. Is yours with or without the safety?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I carry a Shield 9mm as my EDC. Conceals well IWB with shorts and a t-shirt. I managed to talk the retail shop down to $380 for mine, they wanted $420. I picked 9mm for the higher mag capacity (one round more). The grip extension on the extended mag tends to shift around, so I superglued it to the floorplate.

While shooting, I noticed that the sights seem zeroed for point and shoot, rather than deliberate, aimed shots. Every owner I've talked to has the same issue. Covering the target with the muzzle and firing gives good center-mass accuracy. Shooting groups, the rounds always hit low. I feel confident that I can put rounds on target when it really counts, but won't be making headshots on squirrels.

I carry the gun loaded with the flush fit mag, and the extended as a spare. I carry the spare horizontally on my belt. I always leave the safety off while the gun is holstered, but I've come to appreciate it when I need to handle the gun, in case the trigger gets bumped.

I've had a few EDC guns, including J-frame Smiths, subcompact double-stack autos, and a Commander-style 1911, but this one is my favorite. I want to get a second extended mag to carry with it, which will give me 24 rounds total. I've fired several hundred rounds of FMJ cartridges through it, plus 100 rounds of my carry load (Federal HST). Never had a malfunction.

I thought about getting the .40S&W version, but with modern HP bullets I believe that 9mm has the same stopping power with less recoil and higher magazine capacity. Being a lower pressure cartridge, it's easier on the gun itself too.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I'm leaning more to the 9mm side and as you can see I have the G27.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Have had my 9mm for over a year now. Carries well and is very accurate. Very happy with my choice.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
9mm version here...love it. Good price on that Shield!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
For 315 if you're getting it more for an accessory/range toy I'd go 9 just for the ammo being less costly. I'm assuming it won't be your edc based on the list in your sig. I'm sure you already have a favorite

I would pick one up locally at that price and I don't even like the grip on them just to have something different.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Thanks I'm leaning more to the 9mm side and as you can see I have the G27.
Shoot both. They have both 9mm and .40S&W at Federal Way.

I personally didn't care for the Shield in .40. I also think the XDS grip is better, and the sights on the shield are a bit of a let down after the XDS. Having said that, I keep thinking about trading my XDS for a shield....it is a bit lighter. I think I'm going to see what pops out of shot show first...Glock single stack 9 maybe?

The deal on post may not be all that amazing, so check around. S&W has a Mil/LEO program similar to glock, so be sure to ask. I've seen some pretty good prices on the "blue label" S&W. Federal Way and Marksman participate. Welcher's may as well. Quantico Tactical also has good pricing on S&W pistols. Not sure about Surplus Ammo & Arms, but worth a check too. Sportsman's Warehouse also has a 5% Mil/Vet discount.

I need to stop clicking on your threads. You always seem to be getting something new.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Okay thanks I have a few days to decide the sale start today to the 9th. Is yours with or without the safety?
Mine is with the safety, but I don't use it. I haven't had it accidentally engage either. For me, if I had both versions available for the same price, I would get the one without.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I have tried a Shield and an XD single stack and I own 3 XDs . The shield is nicer to shoot as well as more accurate compared to the XDs [In my opinion]

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Ive had a shield 9mm since they 1st hit the streets. Love it.
I have heard some cases of the shield 40 kabooming. Although I'm sure there rare, there are a few cases of it happening.

·
Registered
16 Posts
After going back and forth between a few guns, I decided on the 9mm Shield and just picked it up today. That's a smokin' price, I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I carry a Shield 9mm as my EDC. Conceals well IWB with shorts and a t-shirt. I managed to talk the retail shop down to $380 for mine, they wanted $420. I picked 9mm for the higher mag capacity (one round more). The grip extension on the extended mag tends to shift around, so I superglued it to the floorplate.

While shooting, I noticed that the sights seem zeroed for point and shoot, rather than deliberate, aimed shots. Every owner I've talked to has the same issue. Covering the target with the muzzle and firing gives good center-mass accuracy. Shooting groups, the rounds always hit low. I feel confident that I can put rounds on target when it really counts, but won't be making headshots on squirrels.

I carry the gun loaded with the flush fit mag, and the extended as a spare. I carry the spare horizontally on my belt. I always leave the safety off while the gun is holstered, but I've come to appreciate it when I need to handle the gun, in case the trigger gets bumped.

I've had a few EDC guns, including J-frame Smiths, subcompact double-stack autos, and a Commander-style 1911, but this one is my favorite. I want to get a second extended mag to carry with it, which will give me 24 rounds total. I've fired several hundred rounds of FMJ cartridges through it, plus 100 rounds of my carry load (Federal HST). Never had a malfunction.

I thought about getting the .40S&W version, but with modern HP bullets I believe that 9mm has the same stopping power with less recoil and higher magazine capacity. Being a lower pressure cartridge, it's easier on the gun itself too.

Mine aims well

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shoot both. They have both 9mm and .40S&W at Federal Way.

I personally didn't care for the Shield in .40. I also think the XDS grip is better, and the sights on the shield are a bit of a let down after the XDS. Having said that, I keep thinking about trading my XDS for a shield....it is a bit lighter. I think I'm going to see what pops out of shot show first...Glock single stack 9 maybe?

The deal on post may not be all that amazing, so check around. S&W has a Mil/LEO program similar to glock, so be sure to ask. I've seen some pretty good prices on the "blue label" S&W. Federal Way and Marksman participate. Welcher's may as well. Quantico Tactical also has good pricing on S&W pistols. Not sure about Surplus Ammo & Arms, but worth a check too. Sportsman's Warehouse also has a 5% Mil/Vet discount.

I need to stop clicking on your threads. You always seem to be getting something new.

Okay Joao01 I will check them out the sales on post is going until the 9th so I have a few days. When is the 'Shot Show' coming up I forget about that? The Shield do feel good in my hand I know when they first came out I wanted one but wasn't around then. I went to Welcher's and they didn't have any I might try the Federal Way because there is where I pick up my G29. Tomorrow since I will be up that way my go by The Markman and see what they have. Thanks Joao01 for pointing those out.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys for all of your coments I think I'm going to go for it.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Shot show is end of January. If Glock has a single stack 9, I think shield and XDS prices will go even lower. Plus, if it similar to G42 in size, I think I may just get one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, that's what I was thinking I also been to all of the other gun stores and nobody can beat $315 and when the glock 9 come out I will jump on that too. Be safe and be alert.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts