Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been burning through sooo many 9mms that I can't keep up with a single stage anymore. My question is how do you clean the primer pockets when I use a prog?

Should I use a universal depriming die and put them to soak or tumble the deprimed cases?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
No need to clean primer pockets in pistol cases. Just dump the spent cases in the tumbler and let it run. You will deprime as you resize the case.

Rifle cases are a different matter.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Ya, I've never cleaned the primer pocket on a pistol case. Hell, I don't even clean my 223 primer pockets anymore.

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I've been using the RCBS primer pocket cleaner for many years and didn't know if I still needed to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Now you have more free time to reload until you get a faster press. Win!!

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Never cleaned a service pistol primer pocket in my over 30 years of reloading.

·
Registered
455 Posts
There are some occasional problems with not cleaning pistol case primer pockets. Obviously, combustion products but also the rare piece of junk from cleaning the case and sometimes a second smaller caliber case stuck in a larger caliber.

Running a progressive press is an eyes open and concentrate process--no distractions! One develops a touch for how things are supposed to feel during different phases of the stroke and anything out of the ordinary causes a full stop. It is a very tactile process and one rapidly develops the necessary feel.

It is hard to describe to the uninitiated and doubtful but it works very well if one uses a system to start things running and then stays in the moment.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Really, you don't clean primer pockets:shock:
NOpe, not ever on service pistol cases. I only clean pockets on high power rifle cases, then only after 4-5 firings when I usually have to trim. I have never seen any affect, even loading some cases more than 15x.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts