Which Caliber?

• .45 GAP

• .357 SIG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
However, which round? .357 SIG looks pretty mean on paper and the .45 GAP is .45, so what do you guys think? Both rounds are pretty new, and I'm unfamilure with both. Which one would you choose and why?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I like my xd-357 a lot which is why I voted for it but I really recommend you get the one you shoot best. Georgia Arms is a source for reasonably priced 357sig ammo plus you can use an EFK 9mm conversion barrel with the 357sig slide for even cheaper target shooting. I do not recommend the 9mm conversion barrel for defensive practice as the gun performs differently with 9mm ammo then it does with 357sig.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'm all about getting the one that I shoot best and would really like to shoot both before I was to buy either. I'm just currious as to what you guys think. Both are new rounds and don't have long field records. I'm leaning twords the .357 SIG, just based upon the numbers that it puts down on paper.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had a Sig 229 in .357 SIG. It was fine. I now have a XD in 45 and I love it. Its the most fun shooting pistol I have owned. Plus, I am dead on with it.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like .45 GAP is in the lead. I'd really like to shoot both to see which I like better. I've heard that the 357 SIG is very, very snappy. I don't know if I'll like that or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I owned an XD-357 that I sadly traded in a moment of stupidity. I have fired an XD-45GAP that belongs to a buddy of mine. My opinion is based on my own experience with both firearms as well as some research. The idea behind the .357 sig is to give .357 mag performance in a service sized auto pistol. It does this very well in a more controllable package. The .357 mag is still the king in one round stops on center of mass shots. somewhere in the 95-97% range. On paper, the .357 sig comes very close to doing this. The .45 gap on the other hand is trying to reinvent the wheel. The idea behind it is to provide .45acp performance in a slightly smaller package. The .40 S&W already does this. The .40 is here to stay but the .45GAP might turn out to be a flash in the pan. To me, the recoil and muzzle rise of the .357sig vs the .45gap are similar however the .357 is more abrupt yet still very pleasant to shoot. One serious concern that I have with the .45gap is the possibility of people shooting this ammo in their .45acp. More than once I have overheard untrained clerks in my local sporting goods super store telling people that they could do just that. Ammo availability and price would also be of concern but in my area they seem to be equal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts