Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone ;)

It has been awhile since I have purchased a firearm, and I am coming up on both my birthday and wedding anniversary in the next week. If you are feeling charitable, you can send me gift certificates to my LGS or ammo, either is ok by me :lol:

I think my next addition will be a 10mm. I have always wanted one, just never pulled the trigger. We are going to the range after work, and I'll be renting a Glock 20 to see how I like it. It will primarily be a gun that I carry when hunting, hiking, camping, and shooting at the range.

I noticed ammo is more expensive (compared to 9mm and .45) and not as easy to find on a local level. My wife and I are hoping to start reloading this winter, and I'll definitely add 10mm to my list of dies.

For those of you that have a Glock 20 or comparable 10mm:

How is the recoil? I carried a S&W 640 (2 1/8" bbl .357 magnum) for over 10 years, and while the recoil was stout, it wasn't unmanageable.

What ammo do you use for A) defensive carry, and B) range/target

Is the loaded weight (around 39.5 oz) bothersome? I know this is subjective. By contrast, my fully loaded 19 weighs just over 30 oz.

Any other thoughts or advice is appreciated! When the wife makes a suggestion about getting a new firearm, you have to jump :mrgreen:

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
It's surprisingly pleasant to shoot bone stock. There's a nice aftermarket of comped and ported barrels if you desire as well.

Ammo isn't the easiest to track down and cost not quite 1.5x's what .45 is but such is life.

If you wanna practice cheap with it. For about 120 bones you can get a .40S&W conversion barrel as well as .357 Sig, .38 Super, 9x23 Dillon and seems a few more calibers.

They're fun. With a good holster and belt, it's not bad and has 15 rounds of magnum level rounds on board.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
reloading will help greatly... ill hopefully buy a press and start everything in the next few months..

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's surprisingly pleasant to shoot bone stock. There's a nice aftermarket of comped and ported barrels if you desire as well.

Ammo isn't the easiest to track down and cost not quite 1.5x's what .45 is but such is life.

If you wanna practice cheap with it. For about 120 bones you can get a .40S&W conversion barrel as well as .357 Sig, .38 Super, 9x23 Dillon and seems a few more calibers.

They're fun. With a good holster and belt, it's not bad and has 15 rounds of magnum level rounds on board.
That's what I've heard, so I'm really looking forward to shooting it tonight. If all goes as planned, I'll update later.

I've heard of guys shooting .40 S&W in a stock G20 (10mm barrel) with no problems. I'm a big fan of using a gun as it was intended and using the correct ammo...couldn't doing this cause a problem?

I'll definitely pick up a .40 barrel later. That will save some $$$ on ammo.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
That's what I've heard, so I'm really looking forward to shooting it tonight. If all goes as planned, I'll update later.

I've heard of guys shooting .40 S&W in a stock G20 (10mm barrel) with no problems. I'm a big fan of using a gun as it was intended and using the correct ammo...couldn't doing this cause a problem?

I'll definitely pick up a .40 barrel later. That will save some $$$ on ammo.
40 through a 10 is like 38 through 357 clean that chamber to the rifling

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
40 through a 10 is like 38 through 357 clean that chamber to the rifling

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.
Is it ok to do? As long as you properly clean the barrel?

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I don't scientifically know for certain. But logic implies with a round nose bullet it should be. Will it have enough oomph to cycle of that I have doubts. Will the shorter oal feed reliably? No idea.

I've seen 40s cycle 9s and 9s cycle 380s so it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
I'd say get the SF over the Gen 4, but that's me. You won't have to fool with reducers to swap the recoil spring, which you will probably want to do if you shoot full power stuff, and the gen 3 feels better against your skin all day.

I have carried mine for 5-6 days at a time while out camping/wheeling. It's surprising comfortable carried IWB, but I do look forward to taking it off at the end of the day. I might go for a 29 one of these days.

The recoil is actually very tame for what you are putting downrange. When you get to full power stuff with a 22 lb spring, it's obviously a stronger recoil than when you shoot FMJ target loads with the factory spring, but it's still controllable.

On the ammo question, I carry Winchester Silvertips mostly (not approved for use against werewolves) except for when I am out in mountain lion or bear territory, then I use Buffalo Bore 220 gr hard cast. For target use I just pick up whatever they have whenever they have it because there isn't much choice anyway.

If they forced me down to one pistol, it would be the G20SF. I just love mine. With the KKM barrel in there I shoot 2" groups at 25 yards off a sandbag.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I like the G20, almost bought one a couple of times. Guys I know who have them say the recoil really isn't bad and compare it to 357 Sig (which I have owned). I did shoot a G29 a guy wanted to trade with me and I didn't like it, snappy recoil. But I'm still open to a G20 one day.

The couple of times I shot 10mm it was with whatever I could find at Cabela's and it ain't cheap.

Just something to consider, I have one of these in 45 and the recoil is very mild so I imagine in 10mm it would be no problem. It's an excellent gun, very accurate and the trigger is as good as it gets. Best gun for $500 bucks I've ever owned.

EAA 600650 Witness Elite Match 15+1 10mm 4.75" $546.00 SHIPS FREE

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
I would only do it in an emergency. Like Zombies everywhere and I only found 40 S&W at the looted out gun shop. :)

Saving $150 is not worth the risk to me, but I've seen people do it on YouTube and not kill themselves.

I do know of people who load 40 out to 10mm length and shoot that in 10mm barrels. That seems safer to me.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I would only do it in an emergency. Like Zombies everywhere and I only found 40 S&W at the looted out gun shop. :)

Saving $150 is not worth the risk to me, but I've seen people do it on YouTube and not kill themselves.

I do know of people who load 40 out to 10mm length and shoot that in 10mm barrels. That seems safer to me.
I know many ranked IPSC shooters do that.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I hope to hold both an SF and Gen 4 tonight. I do like the slightly slimmer grip on the Gen 4, but I think a side by side comparison will be nice. I think the rental gun is an SF model.

When it is in stock Freedom & LAX has decent prices on standard 10mm FMJ. I rarely see any 10mm at my local Walmart stores. The range has it, but it comes at a price.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, went to the range earlier hoping to rent the G20. My luck, they were OUT of 10mm ammo :confused:

Ended up putting 150 rounds through my G26...it is a sweet shooter ;)

Going to try & find a box tomorrow & try it again lol. We shall see!

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Remember, not all factory 10mm is equal. A lot of it is loaded like a slightly warm .40 round.

Underwood and Double Tap have the ooomph to them. I really like the Underwood, shoots clean AMD accurate and is priced very well in the caliber.

Ooo! They actually have some 180gr in stock right now too! I can always use another 100 rounds...

http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto.aspx

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
It's fine. They feed and eject fine. The cases fall about 3 feet shorter than the common factory 10mm. It cycles normally and feeds from the magazine reliably. If you ran a compensator or put in really heavy recoil springs, then you will likely have some trouble.

Note: if you limpwrist, it's not going to cycle. My sister-in-law recently tried it out and it wouldn't cycle with the 6" barrel, but cycled fine with the 4.6" The extra bit of oomph needed from unlocking the heavier barrel, low powered target .40 s&w and limp wristing was enough to not cycle the gun.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Remember, not all factory 10mm is equal. A lot of it is loaded like a slightly warm .40 round.

Underwood and Double Tap have the ooomph to them. I really like the Underwood, shoots clean AMD accurate and is priced very well in the caliber.

Ooo! They actually have some 180gr in stock right now too! I can always use another 100 rounds...

Underwood Ammo - 10mm Auto
Agreed.

From the major ammo manufactures that I have tried, Remington UMC was the fastest at a little over 1100 fps and American Eagle was the slowest with a little over 1000. About the same as Blazer aluminum except the Blazer is 200 gr vs AE's 180 gr. which gave Blazer the win.

That was the stock 4.6" barrel. I haven't had the opportunity to chrono anything through my 6" LWD barrel. From what I have seen reported online, increases from 70 to 110 fps just from that small increase in barrel length.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
If I didn't have a gen 4 frame, I'd be awfully tempted to get one of their 6" slides too. They look pretty damn neat.

Dunno if I'll get around to buying a longer barrel or not for mine yet. When I start reloading I might get one with a tighter chamber though, mine gets a little bulge...

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Me too. I understand that they are working on coming out with a Gen4 compatible long slide. No idea on how many years that will take to implement.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the great info! I'm having to learn about all the differences in the ammo available for this caliber.

As far as defensive ammo, is there a big difference in the Underwood 180 & 200gr HP? I mean, other than 20gr :lol:

It's nice to know that it will shoot .40 S&W, I can find it around here all the time. I may still pick up a conversion barrel if I get the G20.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I got a conversion barrel from LWD as well because I figured that I will likely shoot a lot of .40 out of it. I was right. The heavier slide makes it down right pleasant to shoot.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts