Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any experience with one? I`m just looking for a cheap plinker that won`t fall apart. reviews seem to indicate its pretty reliable.

any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I've heard pretty good reviews about the Chiappa but nothing first hand. I would recommend that you also have a look at the gsg 1911. they also shoot .22 and are made in Germany. The cost runs around $300 and are great little plinkers. You can also get them with a faux supressor if that's your thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
anyone have any experience with one? I`m just looking for a cheap plinker that won`t fall apart. reviews seem to indicate its pretty reliable.

Hey meaty. Just checking to see what you have decided... I just ordered one and am looking forward to it, hope the newer models have the kinks worked out of them!!!

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I just bought a gsg 22.. awesome gun!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have not tried that one but Sig Sauer 1911-22 looks just like that one even the little allen screw is the same and I purchased it on 4/1/11 and it failed on 6/28/11.. Guide rod broke in half. Sig made good on it but part not revised... PS. If U could see it disassembled U would see the weak spot. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
+1 on the GSG. Very reliable. Likes to run wet and HV ammo.

·
Registered
570 Posts

I saw one the range a few months ago, but someone bought it before I decided I wanted it. Haven't heard how the purchaser likes it yet. The reviews I've read on them were favorable.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Have not tried that one but Sig Sauer 1911-22 looks just like that one even the little allen screw is the same and I purchased it on 4/1/11 and it failed on 6/28/11.. Guide rod broke in half. Sig made good on it but part not revised... PS. If U could see it disassembled U would see the weak spot. GOOD LUCK
The gsg is the same as the sig... and the newer models have better guide rods. sig gets the guns from gsg and puts their paint and name on the side and charges a few bucks more. :)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I find it funny that the OP was asking about the chiappa. Most of the replies were GSG. Hmmmmm......

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the Colt .22 Rail and like it so far. About 500 rounds through it. No issues so far other than had to adjust sights, but that is it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I saw a 2 day old Chiappa 1911-22 fail at a local Steel Challenge match weekend before last. The bushing failed. The recoil spring and guide rod became un-attached to the pistol.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have bought a chiappa 1911-22 and it was a big waste of money!
I have since purchased a Ruger SR22 and love it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have bought a chiappa 1911-22 and it was a big waste of money!
I have since purchased a Ruger SR22 and love it.
How do you like the SR22 if you don't mind me asking? I always liked the P22, but avoided it due to various reports of being picky on ammo. Everything seems to point that the SR22 is reliable and will accept any ammo.

Did you get a good deal on it? I've got my eyes on one too.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I own a new Chiappa 1911-22. After my first range visit I was quite disappointed. I was shooting bulk federal from the 525 pack and never made it through a magazine with out at least one malfunction of some kind. I felt bad because the gun was a gift from my dad and I didn't want to seem unappreciative.

After some reading on other people's experience with the Chiappa I thought I'd at least work my way through a reasonable break-in period with some CCI Mini-Mags and then make my decision on what to do.

The Chiappa definitely likes the CCI ammo much better than the Federal bulk stuff during break-in. Performance wasn't flawless, but there were only 2 or 3 failures in 200 rounds. Definitely better.

The trigger is stiff, but not completely awful. At least it breaks cleanly without much creep.

I'll keep pushing CCI through it for another 400 rounds and try again with the less expensive options. Hopefully after break-in it will work consistently and I can honestly tell my dad "thanks!" for the new pistol.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
For a cheap plinker, I'd go to the Ruger 22/45. The plastic frame drops the price down considerably from the the Mark III line.

I've got a GSG and I worry a bit about the longevity of the gun due to the Zantac slide. There are a lot of complaints with slide breakage. I also had to change the rear sight to make this gun work for me.

If you ignore the cool looking factor, the reason to get a GSG / Chiappa is to have a gun that has the feel of a 1911. When I am out with my 1911s I warm up with the GSG. If I am not shooting the 1911s, I'll warm up with my Ruger Mark III. The Ruger is far more reliable and accurate.

And someday if I get the real wild urge, I'd get a RIA 1911 and put a Marvel upper on it for my 1911ish .22. Accuracy and reliability with the ability to tune up the trigger. Now, that's also going to be a very expensive .22, but it's on my dream list.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I own one. Would recommend buying something else.

The barrel bushing on mine is a bitch to remove.

I used minimags for break in. Broke in great then started the jamming. I learned to load the mags staggered. This has given me almost perfect feeding for the past 1000 rounds. With or without bulk ammo.

Also every now and then it will not go fully into battery. Not a problem just push the slide and keep shooting. Saw a guy at the range with a GSG and he has the same issue with his GSG.

The trigger on mine is passable... Reset can be a bit grainy. Sometimes I have to think about releasing the trigger just a bit more to reset it. I dont have this issue on any of my other guns.

Having the black front site for me doesnt show up well. I am gonna paint it when I get around to it. For now I just threw a piece of tape on there.

Well thats my $239.00 plus tax for you. Yeah, should have got the GSG...

·
Registered
29,733 Posts
For a cheap plinker, I'd go to the Ruger 22/45. The plastic frame drops the price down considerably from the the Mark III line.

I've got a GSG and I worry a bit about the longevity of the gun due to the Zantac slide. There are a lot of complaints with slide breakage. I also had to change the rear sight to make this gun work for me.

If you ignore the cool looking factor, the reason to get a GSG / Chiappa is to have a gun that has the feel of a 1911. When I am out with my 1911s I warm up with the GSG. If I am not shooting the 1911s, I'll warm up with my Ruger Mark III. The Ruger is far more reliable and accurate.

And someday if I get the real wild urge, I'd get a RIA 1911 and put a Marvel upper on it for my 1911ish .22. Accuracy and reliability with the ability to tune up the trigger. Now, that's also going to be a very expensive .22, but it's on my dream list.
Or you could just get one of these combos from RIA...
XT 22/45 Combo

1 - 20 of 21 Posts