Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I couldn't find the exact answer to what I was wantin to know.
Since the SC is much smaller, but still has a heavy slide....what's shootin one like? I like that the slide is bulky where it needs to be....it just looks tough, compared to other small pistols. KNow what I mean?
I was wonderin what kinda recoil to expect compared to a service 9mm. Also since it's smaller....is it harder to hit a target? I've shot some short pistols before, and you're lucky to hit a barn outside of 20yds.
I'm pretty sure this store I bought my last XD has the "package" for $399.99....that's not bad is it??
Thanks! 8)

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Ive had my XDSub9 for quite awhile and I shoot it as accurate as i shoot my wifes service model. As far as recoil, thats a percieved effect and i dont think its bad at all. I can make follow up shots quick and accurate. At 25 yards I have no problems hitting paper plates. Its not the short barrel that is inacurate, its the short sight radius that makes for a more difficult time making an accurate shot. My XDsub will shoot just as tight a group as any of my Sigs and Sig is considered by many to be one of the most accurate pistols made.

You will not be dissapointed!

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
I've got an XDSC 9. The recoil isn't bad at all. I think that's a subjective call though. I've shot a lot of firearms, so I might not be as opt to notice recoil as someone who has less experience. But I will say that I have some friends that don't even own firearms and they had no problems shooting it.

WRT accuracy, before I purchased it I was convinced that it wouldn't be very accurate. I bought it for CCW and close quarters situations. I was wrong about the accuracy. It is very accurate and yes I can hit paper (8.5"x11") at 25 yards. I could probably do better than just putting on paper at 25, if I only shot better. Point being, I appear to be the only limiting factor with this gun at that distance.

$399 is a good price. I paid slightly more and have been very pleased with my purchase.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Shooting an XD-9 sc is definitely awesome, reassuring, and comfortable. I got it for CCW eventually. I tested it next to a Glock (forget the number.. 26 maybe - similar dimensions to the XD, also 9mm)... The Glock's slide made the whole gun feel top-heavy. The XD was more comfortable in my hand than the Glock. It wasn't as seemingly "heavy" either. The recoil isn't a big deal (at least not to me). I haven't shot many handguns, so recoil to me can't be compared to anything else really. It's only a 1" difference in barrel length between the subbie and service models. I defer to other members for info about recoil comparisons.

My girlfriend has small hands, and she handles it and shoots it better than I do! She always hits her target: centered w/ 2"-3" groups. She makes it look easy. We don't practice at 20 yards, but more at "home/personal defense" distances, so I'm not sure how the XD will handle the side of a barn at 20 yd thing. If you're looking for accuracy at greater distances, wouldn't you want a rifle instead? :wink:

$400 sounds good, especially for a special package deal. I bought mine for $420 back near Father's Day (came w/ a 10 rnd mag, and a 15 rnd mag). I also bought a used one (for my g/f) for $330. Sounds like your doing good for $400. I'm not sure what your package deal has in it. The package deal my FFL friend can get now is (3) 16 rnd mags and a holster for the XD-9 sc for $500.

You'll like the sc, and how it handles. It's much more accurate than I am right now. Very reliable gun.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Make sure you get the pierce grip extensions for your magazines.
It will improve your accuracy as well as give you a more positive grip on your weapon.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The XD9-SC shoots great. My wife and I own both the Service and SC in 9mm and the SC seems to shoot just as well as the Service at any practical self defense distance (>20 yards.) The SC has a little bit more recoil, but neither pistol kicks that much.

I do agree that it's a really good idea to get grip extensions for the 10 rd mags.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The package deal I was talking about is the "Gear Package". Comes with a nice box with a foam liner, holster, and 3 mags I believe one with the factory grip extension. I'm pretty sure they were the hi-cap ones. The only thing that sucks they've only got em in black.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Actually,

I just picked one up in Bitone (Stainless). The dealer said that they are very hard to come by now...(everyone wants the .40) but he called in some favors and got me one shipped overnight. I have it now....
Just fired 200 rounds for the first time today...sah-weeet...luv it with pierce grip extensions....

Just My Humble Opinion...

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I have an XD9 Sub..

The recoil is negligible IMO.

The gun is loud, I guess because of the three inch barrel.

The gun is amazingly accurate. I shot it once from a rest and was able to put three bullets through one ragged hole at 50 feet.

At real life self defense distances I practice without using the sights on a silhouette target and it is a very natural pointing gun. I can hit COM constantly without aiming....just pointing at 7 yard or so. When aiming, I can put 10 rounds (a full magazine) into a 3 inch target at 30 feet pretty consistently. At 25 feet almost 100%.

The only drawback for me with the SC is the width and weight for CCW. The gun is wide and heavy for IWB carry. Others disagree. I guess your physical build has a big impact. I am more tall and thin than average probably. (6 feet, 175 lbs.).

As far as anything else, the gun is absolutely great. Very reliable (no failures after thousands of rounds), and it is incredibly easy to field strip and clean. I can take it down and re-assemble it in seconds. As can anyone.

I have had no rust issues ever.

The price seems great.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the service is gettin to seem too big to carry as often as I carry. So the smaller version might be nice. As soon as I can afford the gas, I'll go to the store and maybe check it out. (it's an hr away)
If I like it....layaway time! "All I want for xmas is my layaway out" :D
thanks guys

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does the SC handle "hot" loads as well as my service does?? Like either Nato rounds or the +p varieties of hollow points

·
Registered
27 Posts
FatMatt1981 said:
Does the SC handle "hot" loads as well as my service does?? Like either Nato rounds or the +p varieties of hollow points
to answer your first question first.

I normally shoot 2 XD-9's tactical's for IPSC and IDPA competition

Just got my XDSC9 a few weeks back and dont ask me why but i actually shoot more accurately with the sub compact out to about 15 yards. With the tac's i seem to always end up shooting too much rightside(being south paw) on shorter distances

due the faster muzzle flip(i guess) i can more accurately do double tap's and quick point shooting type drills. don't get me wrong i love my tac's :D

The way i define my accuracy is doing double taps and point shooting at about 12-16 yards and being able to have 8 out of 10 rounds being with in center mass rings of 10 to 7 rings on PPC style targets

As for rounds i shoot about 600 rounds through it a combination of PMC, S&B and WWB

I shot about 100 rounds of corbon 125 grain(ithink) +P JHP through it with no problems so as far as that goes so far so good. The +p stuff is what i have it loaded with normally as i got that as my CCW gun

Hope it helps

Noxio

1 - 13 of 13 Posts