Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)
I do not know of any XD Model being Titanium. That said, I doubt it ever happens. The Bi-Tone is Stainless slide, Polymer Frame. Close as it will get in my Opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Hmmm... what kind of a price tag do you think it would carry with having a slide CNC'd out of a block of titanium?

$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you are refering to the frame, then no. If you are refering to the finish on the slide, perhaps there is something available in the custom market that would look like titanium.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
refering to the slide only and not a finish .. a true solid titanium slide i know taurus makes some semi autos in titanium and i dont think the cost would be too much

fwiw i just dropped 1100 on a usp expert and would of gladly paid that for a titanium XD no question

as far as cost goes the taurus pistols are sub compact but cost around 475 on the web so doubt they would push beyond 1000 either way i would get one

·
Registered
463 Posts
When I got my first XD it was right around with the XD in .45 GAP was coming out. Everyone swore up and down that they'd never come out with one chambered in .45 ACP since they'd have to change the frame. As you all know shortly after that the ACP came out and the .45 GAP is virtually non existance.

Based on that and the fact that the XD now comes in basically every configuration combination possible, caliber, grip length, Barrel Length, Frame Color, Slide Finish, ported or not, I would certainly not be suprised if they do come out with an XDM with a titanium slide.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I cannot concieve of any good reason for a Titanium Slide on the XDm. Yes, it would reduce the mass but that would come at a price. I suspect that less mass in the slide would require a much stiffer recoil spring in order to slow down the slide movement during discharge. As a result of this, the recoil pulse would become harder and sharper. In addition, that reduced mass will also act to increase recoil even further as a byproduct of that mass reduction. So, in terms of recoil, it's a double hit, stiffer springs that transfer the force more readily, and a reduced pistol mass that increases recoil due to simple Physics. In addition, losing all that mass forward on the pistol will make muzzle flip a real problem. Bottomline, it would turn a pistol that is rather enjoyable to shoot into an unpleasent hand hammering beast.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I cannot concieve of any good reason for a Titanium Slide on the XDm. Yes, it would reduce the mass but that would come at a price. I suspect that less mass in the slide would require a much stiffer recoil spring in order to slow down the slide movement during discharge. As a result of this, the recoil pulse would become harder and sharper. In addition, that reduced mass will also act to increase recoil even further as a byproduct of that mass reduction. So, in terms of recoil, it's a double hit, stiffer springs that transfer the force more readily, and a reduced pistol mass that increases recoil due to simple Physics. In addition, losing all that mass forward on the pistol will make muzzle flip a real problem. Bottomline, it would turn a pistol that is rather enjoyable to shoot into an unpleasent hand hammering beast.
A Stainless slide makes more sense if one wants Shiny. Personally, I like all black. But you're correct. Titanium while very strong, is Light. That on a Polymer frame in a 40 cal or 45 cal and you have yourself some very snappy recoil & muzzle flip.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
No one makes a Titanium slide that I am aware of. It it too lite. You can have a functioning pistol with a LW frame. The same cannot be said for a slide.

ranburr

1 - 10 of 10 Posts