Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty good article over on USACarry.com by Kevin Hagen about lessening your chances of becoming a target of terrorism: Things to Avoid From an Anti Terrorism Standpoint

Most of these also apply to lessening your chances of becoming a target of a criminal of pretty much any sort.

For those that don't want to click over:

We have all seen the aftermath of a terror attack on the news. What can we do to protect ourselves? How can we avoid being a target or permanent part of the landscape after terror attack? You would be surprised how easy it is to instantly become safer. No plan is completely fool proof but being 90% safer is much better than no safety at all. The following things are proven to reduce your profile to terrorists. You only have to make minor changes and you will be much safer now than yesterday.
  1. Terrorists are primarily cowards. They will not stand and fight the military or the police. They rely on fear generated by previous attacks to effect political change.
  2. Terrorists often have limited resources and accesses. This means that they will be far more resourceful than you can possibly fathom when it comes to dreaming up new ways to kill people in the name of whatever this weeks’ “cause” is.
  3. Terrorist do not have a set of “gentlemen’s rules” to be followed.
How can I avoid being a high profile target?
This is a fairly simple question with a not so simple answer.
  1. Avoid a routine as much as possible. Take various different routes to and from home, work, and shopping. This also includes changing the times you leave and arrive on a regular basis.
  2. Avoid distractions in public. Let me say that again…AVOID DISTRACTIONS IN PUBLIC! Do not text while walking, talk on your cell phone, listen to headphones etc.
  3. Be completely aware of your surroundings. Keep your head on a swivel and check behind you at regular intervals.
  4. Avoid areas that do not have adequate lighting.
  5. Avoid crowds as much as possible…especially crowds in confined spaces.<LI sizcache="6" sizset="23">ALWAYS…ALWAYS…ALWAYS KNOW YOUR ESCAPE ROUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1. You should be constantly calculating the quickest means to a safe exit from where ever you are. If this means climbing over seats and jumping over counters so be it!!! What is important is getting out with your life intact.
    2. Most people that die in fires do so because they try to exit an area by the way they came in. DON’T BE THAT CORPSE! Always look for the exit signs and have a plan to get there as quickly as possible. This course of action works for all life threatening events. You may not be able to stop the fight or flight reflex but you can use it to your greatest advantage.
  6. Avoid confined spaces and mass transit as much as possible. It does not take much smoke, toxin or CO2 to very quickly put a lot of people in dire straits in a confined area. A good example is the chemical agent attack in the Tokyo subway a few years ago. Very little agent was use and a lot of people got hurt or killed.
  7. Soft targets are just that…no protection whatsoever. Outdoor cafes may be quaint but they are also within the kill radius of the average terrorist’s car bomb. Avoid outdoor cafes, markets and the like that have vehicle parking or roadside access within 300 feet.
  8. Airports, bus stations and train depots sometimes cannot be avoided in the course of business travel. Minimize your exposure by not loitering outside in the unsecure areas. Find seating that allows you to see the main entry ways and again find your escape routes. Keep a constant watch on everyone and everything. If something does not feel “right” your gut may be telling you there is more going on than meets the eye.
  9. Avoid being the “ugly American”. Keep incendiary remarks to yourself in public and do not draw attention to yourself by mentioning (bragging) about your job, money, house, car or exploits. These are just a few of the things that the terrorists of today feed upon. Don’t give them a reason to make you there next cause of the week target.
These ten steps will hopefully help keep you safer as you travel and make you more aware and secure of your surroundings. Read any material you can on Situational Awareness and on Operational Risk Management. Both of these can be very helpful in your day to day safety.
Be safe!

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Interesting, some I wouldn't do. For example avoid crowds, protests yes, baseball games no. I still want to enjoy my life and to do so you have to leave the bunker.

I am excited to move from Arlington, VA (DC blast radius plus working right downtown) to Kentucky. My likelyhood of needing my Get Home Bag to get home has gone down about 3,000%! Plus I can add a gun to it again!

·
Registered
360 Posts
They should call it the boogeyman rather than terrorism. You have a greater chance of meeting the boogeyman than you do of running into a real "terrorist".

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
They should call it the boogeyman rather than terrorism. You have a greater chance of meeting the boogeyman than you do of running into a real "terrorist".

that depends on where you live. dont forget they had the Somalian guys disappear and show at an al qaeda training camp.

makes me wonder how many others went and came back teaching their samolian buddies how to play monkey bars among other things.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tell that to the families of the victims of the Oklahmoa City bombing or the Twin Towers events or the Pentagon or the flight that crashed in Somerset County, PA, or ....

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
Tell that to the families of the victims of the Oklahmoa City bombing or the Twin Towers events or the Pentagon or the flight that crashed in Somerset County, PA, or ....
the first trade center bombing... Nadal Hassan... richard reid... keith olberman...

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Ruby Ridge, Waco, Jose Guerena

The list get's bigger each day, and each day the war against the people is expanded.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Agreed. You have a greater chance being hit by lightning than being blown up by a terrorist. The whole 9/11 was a power grab. It was staged and our government stood down while it happened. It is a damn shame that a government does this to its own people in the name of power.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Agreed. You have a greater chance being hit by lightning than being blown up by a terrorist. The whole 9/11 was a power grab. It was staged and our government stood down while it happened. It is a damn shame that a government does this to its own people in the name of power.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
OH MY the things you speaketh. There is a conspiracy theroist in our mist!
However, I tend to agree with you, and there is some very good evidence for it that is completly ignored. What ever the government says happened....it must be true. The Pentagon sure did look like it was hit with an American Airlines cruse missile. ;) And Lee Harvey Oswald was a lone gunman that pulled that off ALL by himself with an old bolt action rifle.
And a long time ago the USAF had in it's possesstion a UFO, a crashed disk...and put out a press release to the world that "we" had it. Then just 24 hrs later said..."Oh no...it is just a weather ballon" Just how stupid is our USAF, or what kind of idiots do they think we as the people really are???
But the masses of sheepole will believe what ever is official and told to them.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
An interesting statement. According to the National Weather Service, your chances of being struck by lightning, based on averages between 2001 and 2010, is approximately 1/1,000,000.

The U.S. population in 2010 was 311,468,834. There were 2,977 victims killed in the 9/11 incident alone. Using those figures, your chance of being killed by the 9/11 terrorists (this excludes all other terrorist attacks between 2001 and 2010) is approximately 1/104,625.

So, you are nearly TEN TIMES more likely to have been blown up by the terrorists involved in the 9/11 incident than you are to be struck by lightning. We could start counting up all the other terror attacks in the U.S. between 2001 and 2010 but I don't think that's really necessary.

Terrorism in the U.S. is real. If you wish to ignore it - potentially at your own peril - please feel free to do so. However, don't attempt to drag the rest of us into your same delusional morass.

·
Registered
463 Posts
OH MY the things you speaketh. There is a conspiracy theroist in our mist!
However, I tend to agree with you, and there is some very good evidence for it that is completly ignored. What ever the government says happened....it must be true. The Pentagon sure did look like it was hit with an American Airlines cruse missile. ;) And Lee Harvey Oswald was a lone gunman that pulled that off ALL by himself with an old bolt action rifle.
But the masses of sheepole will believe what ever is official and told to them.
I tend to disbelieve and or believe the opposite of anything our government says:shock:

·
Registered
403 Posts
An interesting statement. According to the National Weather Service, your chances of being struck by lightning, based on averages between 2001 and 2010, is approximately 1/1,000,000.

The U.S. population in 2010 was 311,468,834. There were 2,977 victims killed in the 9/11 incident alone. Using those figures, your chance of being killed by the 9/11 terrorists (this excludes all other terrorist attacks between 2001 and 2010) is approximately 1/104,625.

So, you are nearly TEN TIMES more likely to have been blown up by the terrorists involved in the 9/11 incident than you are to be struck by lightning. We could start counting up all the other terror attacks in the U.S. between 2001 and 2010 but I don't think that's really necessary.

Terrorism in the U.S. is real. If you wish to ignore it - potentially at your own peril - please feel free to do so. However, don't attempt to drag the rest of us into your same delusional morass.
Over that same span 401,601 people were killed in auto accidents, which is 1/775 so you're nearly ONE HUNDRED THIRTY-FIVE TIMES more likely to die in a car accident than blown up by the terrorists in the 9/11 incident.

Terrorism is high profile, and that's exactly what the terrorists want, but in terms of real numbers, it's not even in the top 15. Out of the top 15 causes of death, 12 are diseases. The highest non-disease cause is unintentional injuries at number five, and next is suicide at # 10, with homicide rounding out the list at # 15. Terrorist killings (when they happen) are part of that last category, but the vast majority of those are garden-variety, everyday homicides.

So, yeah, we shouldn't dismiss the possibility of terrorism, but we should keep perspective as well. If we spend ourselves into bankruptcy and create a police state because we're scared of terrorists, then we're handing the terrorists a bigger victory than they could ever hope for.

P.S. Went and looked up the list of terrorist attacks in the US since 2001 and the death tolls, and what I came up with was 3031 (rounding up to 3000 for 9/11). So yeah, death by terrorism is high profile, but low probability.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Carlos, I wasn't suggesting that terrorism is one of the leading causes of death in the U.S. so I don't know why you quoted my post.

What I was disputing were the claims that you're more likely to be struck by lightning or killed by the boogey man.

Were you just trying to pick a fight?

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Over that same span 401,601 people were killed in auto accidents, which is 1/775 so you're nearly ONE HUNDRED THIRTY-FIVE TIMES more likely to die in a car accident than blown up by the terrorists in the 9/11 incident.

Terrorism is high profile, and that's exactly what the terrorists want, but in terms of real numbers, it's not even in the top 15. Out of the top 15 causes of death, 12 are diseases. The highest non-disease cause is unintentional injuries at number five, and next is suicide at # 10, with homicide rounding out the list at # 15. Terrorist killings (when they happen) are part of that last category, but the vast majority of those are garden-variety, everyday homicides.

So, yeah, we shouldn't dismiss the possibility of terrorism, but we should keep perspective as well. If we spend ourselves into bankruptcy and create a police state because we're scared of terrorists, then we're handing the terrorists a bigger victory than they could ever hope for.

P.S. Went and looked up the list of terrorist attacks in the US since 2001 and the death tolls, and what I came up with was 3031 (rounding up to 3000 for 9/11). So yeah, death by terrorism is high profile, but low probability.
Statements like this, give me reason to believe they have already won.

Our national perspective is a simple knee-jerk reaction, that went out of control.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Our government is using terrorism to take our freedoms and create a huge police state. It's not about keeping us safe. it's about getting the population desensitized to government control and power. If you'll let the TSA stick their hands in your child's pants, fondle your wife and grandma. And allow them to view you naked on a screen. Well, if you are okay with that you might as well just take your liberty and flush it down the toilet right now.

They will keep coming for more and more. They have been. It get's worse and worse. Pretty soon we won't be able to travel freely at all in our own country. Not even on highways. We won't be able to go to the mall, sporting events, the movies without some DHS-TSA government groper being at the door.

Obama said we need a civilian national security force that's just as strong, just as powerful, and just as well funded as our military.

I don't know about you guys. But that just sounds tyrannical to me.

I fear these things more than I fear a terrorist attack. I have a better chance of having a car accident driving to and from work.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Carlos, I wasn't suggesting that terrorism is one of the leading causes of death in the U.S. so I don't know why you quoted my post.

What I was disputing were the claims that you're more likely to be struck by lightning or killed by the boogey man.

Were you just trying to pick a fight?
No, I'm just trying to put the whole terrorism issue in context, and your post was a good starting point. Specifically, it was your last paragraph that led me to respond. Yes, terrorism in the US is real, and if you count 9/11, deaths from it are more common than getting struck by lightning. Interestingly, if you exclude 9/11 as a one time aberration, then the ratios flip and you're ten times more likely to be struck by lightning. Even if I undercounted deaths from terrorism in the US after 9/11 by a factor of ten, then your chances are even.

So it's about perspective and evaluating risk considering both impact and probability. A high impact, low probability event like a terrorist attack is worth thinking about, but you shouldn't radically change your life in response to it. I know you weren't specifically saying that we should, but like I said, I wanted to put the issue in context.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts