Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and didnt come up with too much in the way of valuable information aside from the fact that when carrying an XD many people find the need to purchase pants that are 2-3" wider than their usual size to accomodate the holster with the XD.

In this situation it also seems that those who are bigger have less problem concealing than do those who are slimmer/smaller. I am an athletic 6' 185 and am trying to find a good option for IWB. In this case it almost seems as if the holster isnt the biggest expense, but instead buying a whole new pants collection. There is no way I am going to be able to fit a holster and my XD in my waistband as it is..well maybe, but it would be a tight squeeze. Everyone seems to agree that the Ctac, Answer, or CrossBreed is the best IWB out there..but it seems that these all require another 1"+ of waistband room.

Would something like this from the Tauris line allow me to keep my current pant sizing while still carrying IWB?"
http://www.taurisholsters.com/lpitp.cfm (its very similar to the High-Noon IWB holsters)

Should I just sacrifice in the name of feeling protected and slowly replace my pants collection in order to buy a CTAC or "Answer"?

Is the XD's size the true limiting factor in the holster size?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Accept the fact that if your going to CCW, you will have to dress around your gun to some extent or another. I like leather IWB and OWB.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I sort of have come to that conclusion...I just thought there might be a solution which wouldnt require me to up my pant-size in order to carry comfortably. (I also think it will look sort of goofy on me to have a 35" waist when I should be wearing a 32 or 33.) However, if thats what I need to do, I am more than happy to do that.

I too think I like the idea of a leather holster to avoid added friction between the XD and holster (especially debris collecting in the kydex and scratching the slide..)

Any/all suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
17 Posts
R.E.Lee said:
I searched and didnt come up with too much in the way of valuable information aside from the fact that when carrying an XD many people find the need to purchase pants that are 2-3" wider than their usual size to accomodate the holster with the XD.

In this situation it also seems that those who are bigger have less problem concealing than do those who are slimmer/smaller. I am an athletic 6' 185 and am trying to find a good option for IWB. In this case it almost seems as if the holster isnt the biggest expense, but instead buying a whole new pants collection. There is no way I am going to be able to fit a holster and my XD in my waistband as it is..well maybe, but it would be a tight squeeze. Everyone seems to agree that the Ctac, Answer, or CrossBreed is the best IWB out there..but it seems that these all require another 1"+ of waistband room.

Would something like this from the Tauris line allow me to keep my current pant sizing while still carrying IWB?"
http://www.taurisholsters.com/lpitp.cfm (its very similar to the High-Noon IWB holsters)

Should I just sacrifice in the name of feeling protected and slowly replace my pants collection in order to buy a CTAC or "Answer"?

Is the XD's size the true limiting factor in the holster size?

Thanks.
Contact Brad at Gunners Alley and ask him about the .06 Kydex holsters. You can also contact FIST holsters and ask them about their thin kydex holsters. But, Brad at Gunners Alley carries FIST line and other excellent holster mnfc. I have a thin kydex IWB/OWB holster for my HK USP9 and love it. It's about 2 years old and has not lost it's shape at all. I use it very regularly.

Rgds,
General Jackson

·
Registered
17 Posts
R.E.Lee said:
I guess I sort of have come to that conclusion...I just thought there might be a solution which wouldnt require me to up my pant-size in order to carry comfortably. (I also think it will look sort of goofy on me to have a 35" waist when I should be wearing a 32 or 33.) However, if thats what I need to do, I am more than happy to do that.

I too think I like the idea of a leather holster to avoid added friction between the XD and holster (especially debris collecting in the kydex and scratching the slide..)

Any/all suggestions are welcome.
Ok, I mentioned the thin kydex that I love. As far as comfort goes, it's great. But, for my XD40 service, I have a thicker kydex paddle holster made by G-Code. The paddle holsters are very comfortable. My suggestion to you is to get a paddle holster if you don't want to worry about getting a larger belt. You'll be happy with it. Just make sure it fits snug against your body and doesn't stick out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well the fact is IWB holster can only be so thin. Some makers use 6/7 OZ leather front and rear and frankly you wont find a thinner feeling holster than that.

Ill explain......Kydex is thinner but not as flexible. The measureable difference in a Kydex IWB and a thin leather one is 1/8" front to rear which isnt enough to go one way or another.

The leather can be more flexible and forgiving than the plastic ones at time.
That makes for a more comfortable IWB carry, if that makes sense.

There are plenty of great holsters out there....look around and see what appeals to you, go from there.

Shoot well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you are that concerned with the pants, try looking at a concealment OWB holster. I know that Galco makes a great one http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp?ProductID=2738&GunID=223 that is molded on the outside rather than "between" like a normal pancake.

Another option would be the HUME SOB that Old School here carries at Pistol Gear. http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetail.php?prod=27XDL&cat=21 I have a friend that is very athletic/skinny and wears a full size tactial with this rig and you can't see it AT ALL!!

Good luck

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
We are about the same size and I still wear the same size pants Jeans any how will strech a little and work well with my c-tac.
Tried an answer and it added to much cause th body shield was so thick :shock:
Note I wear just behind the hip about 4:00
Doesn't tighten the pants much there I couldn't wear it right on the hip and buttom my pants :twisted:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Check out Mika's Holsters. I bought one from him for another pistol about a year and a half ago. By his own admission, they ain't pretty but they are functional , inexpensive, and thin. Great personal service. Don't let the name "pocket holster" disuade you from looking at the site, he offers lots of styles including IWB. He's a former LEO so he knows what people are looking for in a rig. Mika's Pocket Holsters

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the links guys. Is kydex likely to scratch the slide of my XD? It seems that most of the popular IWB (The Answer, CTAC..) are kydex and I havent read any complaints. Thanks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
R/T Performance said:
The answer would be least likely to scratch bieng it is only one sided but both are very snooth inside unlike the fobus.
Won't scratch if you can keep the dirt out :shock:
Thanks for the quick response. I guess I need to just keep researching and thinking about what kind of dress situations I typically find myself in before I go ahead with a purchase. (which by most accounts wont be my last as everyone seems to have a holster drawer, or worse, a holster chest. :shock: )

Thanks again for everyones replies..if there are more suggestions out there...let me hear 'em..

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Watch the trading post. 8) What works for me might not work for you.
I have had a Galco fletch high ride wich was great owb but after useing Kydex(c-tac)I found the leather drags to much while drawing.
Bought and Sold it also hume jit slide floppy owb.
Also bought the ctac Wich I love and may buy another and then the answer expensive but just didn't work for me sold that too.
Always someone new trying stuff out easy come easy go. :D
Still tempted to buy a cross bread for the money they look great :wink:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
R/T Performance said:
Watch the trading post. 8) What works for me might not work for you.
I have had a Galco fletch high ride wich was great owb but after useing Kydex(c-tac)I found the leather drags to much while drawing.
Bought and Sold it also hume jit slide floppy owb.
Also bought the ctac Wich I love and may buy another and then the answer expensive but just didn't work for me sold that too.
Always someone new trying stuff out easy come easy go. :D
Still tempted to buy a cross bread for the money they look great :wink:
I like the idea of an OWB (especially the Galco) and even though they are advertised as concealable, I would think you would need an awfully long shirt for that to be true for all situations. Although I wouldnt mind carrying OWB, I know the police would be called on occasion, and even if it is legal, its still gotta be a pain to deal with...

I thought from looking at pictures that the Answer and the Ctac were nearly identical with the Answer just having a piece of leather on the "body-side" of the holster, whereas the Ctac didnt. (Rob Longnecker even said that Ctac made the Kydex portion of the Answer)

How is your modified Ctac (I saw your pictures and would love to see more) different than the Answer, aside from being cheaper??

I can totally understand the "different strokes for different folks" mentality, but hopefully because we are of a similar body-type, what works/is comfortable for you will be the same for me.

Thanks for dealing with all of my questions... :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts