Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SA 1911 has standard sized grips, and I am considering "thinner" grips.
Can those of you that have changed to thinner grips, please give me your impressions of switching to the "thinner"grips?

Did it help the accuracy because you had a better hold?
Did it feel better or too thin?
Did you switch back to the regular grips?

Anything you can tell me to help will be appreciated!!

THANKS!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Give me a set of super slim VZs any day! There is a reason that a lot of hand built 1911s choose slim VZs or similar styles. Less profile the more I can get my paws around it.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Very subjective. Didn't work for me so I went back to standard grips. Don't know if you are aware but you will have to change the bushings and screws if you go to thinner grips.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
My SA 1911 has standard sized grips, and I am considering "thinner" grips.
Can those of you that have changed to thinner grips, please give me your impressions of switching to the "thinner"grips?

Did it help the accuracy because you had a better hold?
Did it feel better or too thin?
Did you switch back to the regular grips?

Anything you can tell me to help will be appreciated!!

THANKS!
I bought vz operator ii's for my range officer. They are not the thin model, but are noticeably thinner than the factory rosewood grips(grip screws were not flush with grips). I think it feels better, but that could be increased traction more than anything. Best thing about vzs is they seem to be in high demand. If you get a set and don't like them, either return or resell at basically no loss.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Give me a set of super slim VZs any day! There is a reason that a lot of hand built 1911s choose slim VZs or similar styles. Less profile the more I can get my paws around it.
Slim grips probably don't always correlate to the quality/price of the 1911.

Thickness of the grip should be based on the need/use and/or the size of the persons hand to allow the proper placement of the index finger on the trigger, ideally the distal inter-phalangeal joint (the first joint from the tip of your index finger). A custom build should be made to suit the shooter whatever dimensions those are. For some of us with large hands, the thin grips of the super slim area a major negative to accuracy by causing an over extension of the finger..

LabLoverVA, look at your current grip, if you need help, I have training documents to help with how to establish a proper grip from the Marksmanship unit. If you cannot establish a proper grip with the current thickness consider thinner grips, otherwise the current slab sides should work for the majority of shooters. PM me and I will send you some shooting instruction documents and I would recommend going from there before spending money on equipment.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've used both thin VZ grips and thin Alumagrips in the past. While I thought they provided a very slight advantage in concealment, I always ended up going back to regular grips. They just seemed to fit me better.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
This!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very subjective. Didn't work for me so I went back to standard grips. Don't know if you are aware but you will have to change the bushings and screws if you go to thinner grips.
I know. Thanks!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Slim grips probably don't always correlate to the quality/price of the 1911.

Thickness of the grip should be based on the need/use and/or the size of the persons hand to allow the proper placement of the index finger on the trigger, ideally the distal inter-phalangeal joint (the first joint from the tip of your index finger). A custom build should be made to suit the shooter whatever dimensions those are. For some of us with large hands, the thin grips of the super slim area a major negative to accuracy by causing an over extension of the finger..

LabLoverVA, look at your current grip, if you need help, I have training documents to help with how to establish a proper grip from the Marksmanship unit. If you cannot establish a proper grip with the current thickness consider thinner grips, otherwise the current slab sides should work for the majority of shooters. PM me and I will send you some shooting instruction documents and I would recommend going from there before spending money on equipment.
I can't figure out how to send you a private message

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where do I find this conversation? How and where do I respond? I tried to send you my email address, but was unsure if it made it.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Click on "inbox" on the top right. I got your PM now "conversation" and sent you an email with the materials you need. If you didn't get it send me a "conversation"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts