Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i purchased my XD9sc from bass pro shops about a week ago. came to pick it up today and they gave me an hour of free range time. went upstairs to the range with 2 boxes of 9x19 ready to have a blast and load the first mag (yes the rounds fit int he mag perfectly) take the first shot and sure enough FTE... perplexed i ejected the round and took another crack, same deal. i immediately picked up one of the spent cases and noticed it was mangled and cracked down the side. i closed the slide for a closer look and sure enough it read 40 S&W. haha long story short i made a moderate sized stink of the hunting dept and they fixed it REAL quick, gave me some free ammo and range time too. couldn't be happier with the 9mm SC by the way!

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
That's nuts!

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
You're lucky the XD is built as well as it is. A lot of guns you would have known the difference on the first shot...

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I hope all of your lessons on shooting go better than this first one. I am glad that you were not hurt.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
You're lucky the XD is built as well as it is. A lot of guns you would have known the difference on the first shot...
+1 - That could have been very dangerous.

Glad it turned out well and you got some freebies. They had to make that mistake right.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
No different than shooting .357 sig in a .40 chamber, you just get alot of gas blow-by. Its not really a big deal but that other barrel is going to be fouled.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The scary part is that he did not notice it wasn't a 9mm.
the thing is... you're right... in fact, i felt like a complete idiot. i'm no moron i mean i'm a deans list pre law student. the thing is, i guess when you buy a product from a place like outdoor world/bass pro shops, you kinda have faith right off the bat that they've given you the right product. there wasn't much indication that it was a 40 and i did only put those couple rounds through it before i realized that something was very wrong. i can see how people would think i'm a complete idiot but it was just one of those situations where i made an oversight. either way it could have been very bad, i'm glad it went well, and the moral of the story is, always make sure you got what you asked for.

they took it back right away and gave me the 9mm though and were super cool about the whole situation.

·
Registered
29,593 Posts
9mm in a .40? Not so much. I was present when a Beretta 96 accidently got fed 9mm (lesson here: never have a 92 and a 96 at the range at the same time), and about the same thing happened. No big deal.

.40 in a .45? Bad things will happen, regardless of design. Saw the remnants of a 1911 (ParaOrd, iirc) that the owner fed .40 by accident. Ugly.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Easy to not realize you have been given a .40sc when you are thinking they have given you the 9sc you actually bought. The two are identical in size and feel and the magazines are interchangeable. In fact, you can use the .40sc compact mag in a 9sc and have 13 rounds instead of the 9's compact mag capacity of 10.

Glad everything work out and no real harm was done. And you are correct, the 9sc is an awsome shooter.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
As long as you're okay and learned a lesson from it. Never trust the label on the box. The guns get handled too much before you get it. Easy to get them mixed up.

A related story - my local gun store just bought a bunch of guns from an area police department. While showing a gun to a customer, an employee racked the slide out of habit. IT WAS LOADED. The police department sold guns that were loaded and had rounds chambered. They went thru the rest of the guns and 4 more were loaded.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts