Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to go to the range last night and run 3 boxes of ammo through 2 rds to a mag to practice mag changes.

Start w/ one round in gun magazine in gun, spare mags have 2 rds. Drill goes as follows:
-Set target at 25 feet to force concentration on aiming
-draw
-fire (to slide lock)
-strip mag
-insert new mag
-chamber new round
-fire once
-check 360 (See Dave, I still do it just like you drilled in my head at TDI)
-reholster
-repeat till mags depleted
-reload and start again

I had been doing draw practice a lot lately and found most of the holes in my draw, but I still would get flyaway shots almost every time I did a reload. W/ my carry gun (which is what I was shooting last night) I have a tendency to pull a couple inches left, but the errant shots would be left/right/up/down w/ no real pattern to them. After the first box of ammo, I couldn't figure out what my problem was so I had one of the guys at the range watch over my shoulder and see if he could find my problem. He caught it straight away.

After the reload, in my haste to get the next round downrange, I am not re-establishing my grip properly. After I seat the new mag, my left hand was not coming back to my index position until after the first shot. I would fire the first shot from the reload and then correct my grip because it (the shot) didn't feel right. This allowed me to cover the mistake w/ the follow up shots in the magazine, but didn't correct it. I then did about 30 dry mag changes in the stall paying special attention to reindexing my grip properly after the mag change and when I went back to live fire, Lo and Behold! 2 shots COM about 2" from one another. Proceeded to repeat this for the rest of the box of ammo getting spreads of 2-6" between shots, but almost all in the IPSC A ring.

I didn't even realize I was doing this, even the reindexing after the first shot. It had just become second nature to double check the grip when the shot felt wrong that I was overlooking the root of the problem.

Hope this helps someone else figure out their problems.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I found myself doing the very same thing with my S&W wheel guns after a reload. Take the first shot, then reposition the gun properly for the other 5 shots. Instead of an IPSC target, I work with our steel plate rack that has 8" round plates, and I was missing the first plate a lot after a reload. I was also doing this when pulling the gun from the holster on the first shot.

I'm still working to correct this, and get my speed up. Now that I have a new bottom feeder with 3 mags, (XD-9) I'll have to work on mag changes too.....

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tony,

concept is the same only you fight gravity w/ these "bottom feeder" guns. :)

Practice makes permanent, only perfect practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Tony, That is a pretty good idea. I also take my officers out and switch some of thier rounds out of thier mags, and insert the orange training/dummy rounds. This way when they are jerking the trigger or anticipating the recoil, I'll see that in the way thier hands will move. They will also look at you and give you that "oh ****" did he see that look. HAHA

Tom :wink:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Airformula, is your carry gun you mention an XD? There really should be no reason to shift your grip on an XD. That's one of the wonderful things about them. I use my index finger to release the magazine like a lefty would normally do. I then use my support hand to release the slide as I come back on target. In this fashion there is no reason to shift your grip with your strong hand. Like I said this works especially well with the XD and not so much with others.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, my carry gun is my p2k. The mag release on it is even easier to operate than the XD will ever consider being, and when I refer to having to reindex my grip, it is the support hand that has just done all the work of stripping out the old mag, finding the new one and shoving it home then trying to find it's way back to the pistol in the proper orientation to make a rapid post reload shot. I think I am just trying to push it too fast and not taking the time required to reestablish my proper grip.

I shot a uspsa match last night w/ the p2k and I made sure to focus on this problem during the match and while my times weren't exactly the fastest, the accuracy made up for a lot and I ended up 3rd overall in production. I'll be going back to the XD's for the rest of this league period I think since I need to get boned up for some of the bigger local outdoor matches coming up this summer.

·
Registered
688 Posts
DAMN RIGHT you will have your trigger at some of the local outdoor matches !!! Need to see if you are only a fair weather type of shooter. :wink: :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts