Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just arrived today, a Theis horsehide holster. He made it for me, even while dealing with some family medical issues, and shipped it out very quickly, with great communication all the way through.

As expected, it is stiff out of the envelope, but, after adjusting the cant and fiddling around a bit to see where I wanted it to ride (about 4:00 for me), it is already pretty comfortable. I figure I'll wear it daily for the next couple weeks, and try to remember to post about how things are changing as we go along, and see how it breaks in.

Initial impressions:
My pants have tried to slip out from under my belt, but, after a little adjusting, that settled down.
I tucked my t-shirt in over it, and it leaves very little print on a 6', 215-pound guy who's a little soggy in the midsection. Hopefully that continues as I continue to lose weight.
My pistol slips in and out of the holster easily enough, one-handed, but it doesn't seem to be so easy as to be in danger of falling out.
I haven't taken it into the car yet, but, so far, it hasn't shifted anywhere, sitting on the sofa or moving around the house.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I ordered one earlier last week. But am out of town so had it shipped to my friend! He got it Friday. I ordered Monday afternoon! Thats great time in my book! I just cant enjoy it until Monday.

·
Premium Member
127,260 Posts
Pics please.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Dude every IWB holster like this looks the same!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So today was the first full day wearing the Theis holster. Went quite well.
I pulled on a long-sleeve shirt and jeans, put the pistol in, and slipped a sweatshirt over it. No print. Hopped in the car with my daughter, and headed off to the mall to play in the play yard. Easy drive, no discomfort.
Got to the mall, and nobody noticed a thing. Headed in to the restroom, pulled the sweatshirt off, and tucked the shirt over the pistol, under the holster. No significant printing.
Headed through the food court, back to the play yard, and nobody noticed a thing. No freaked out soccer moms, no security guards asking questions, etc.
Had they asked questions, I have a CCW permit, so, no great yank, but, better nobody notice to ask.
Leather-wise, the horsehide is already curving to my body nicely. No binding, chafing, etc.
I'll try to get a pic up shortly.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thats very good to know since I got the horsehide too!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats very good to know since I got the horsehide too!
It is very stiff when you first get it, but, once it warms to your body a bit, that seems to settle down some... Looking forward to working it more over the coming days.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Took the holster to the gym to get some sweat happening on it. Pistol in the holster is way too heavy for sweatpants, so, that stayed in the truck. Still had to haul the pants up a couple times, but, I have to do that anyway... They are, after all, sweatpants...

Anyway, came back from that and snapped these pics.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PS - the horsehide didn't absorb much of the sweat at all, after 45 minutes of sweatin' up a storm... It did warm and curve a little more to my fat butt, but that was about it. Will take it again tomorrow and sweat it up some more...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So after a night that consisted of a migraine and about 45 minutes of sleep, I didn't take the holster to the gym. I didn't take me to the gym either. I was a lazy sod who left the pistol in the holster, and the holster next to him while working in sweatpants and a t-shirt. We'll see what tomorrow brings...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, it's now been a couple weeks, and I've worn this holster almost every day. It has curved to fit me pretty well. No rubbing; no chafing. All things considered, meeeeee likey!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Just ordered a holster for my XDm 9 and a double mag holder, both in horsehide.

Next up after those arrive, a gun belt.

It's good that I took up shooting. It sucked to have all that money just sitting around :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts