Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 12 year old and I have been shooting USPSA for awhile now. He shoots an XDm9 in Limited and I shoot and XDm40 in Limited. We've shot thousands of rounds now and neither of us has yet to have a malfunction of any kind. He shot a junior camp where they went through probably 650 rounds in a weekend and his gun ran like a top. In my opinion, the most important thing to keep clean is the mags. Once they start getting really dirty, I've had my .40 get rounds wedged in the body. But this is after multiple matches of being dropped in powder-fine dirt, rocks, etc, without being cleaned.

Any of you guys who are on the fence about an XDm.....go for it! They are fantastic, reliable, accurate guns.

That is all!

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I would agree, funny my 12 y/o son is now shooting the new XD(M) 5.25 in USPSA Production, just did his first qualifier round this evening.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My 12 year old and I have been shooting USPSA for awhile now. He shoots an XDm9 in Limited and I shoot and XDm40 in Limited. We've shot thousands of rounds now and neither of us has yet to have a malfunction of any kind. He shot a junior camp where they went through probably 650 rounds in a weekend and his gun ran like a top. In my opinion, the most important thing to keep clean is the mags. Once they start getting really dirty, I've had my .40 get rounds wedged in the body. But this is after multiple matches of being dropped in powder-fine dirt, rocks, etc, without being cleaned.

Any of you guys who are on the fence about an XDm.....go for it! They are fantastic, reliable, accurate guns.

That is all!
What he said.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And I suppose I should clarify that the "wedge" condition I've experienced with very dirty magazines has always been while loading them, they've never done this in the gun, otherwise my statement about not having malfunctions would be untrue. :)

·
Banned
61 Posts
personally i think the xdm is a piece. they just put m on the back of the xd and ask you to pay another 100 bucks they didn't make any noticable modifications to how the gun preforms

·
Registered
21 Posts
they just put m on the back of the xd and ask you to pay another 100 bucks they didn't make any noticable modifications to how the gun preforms
Let's see, from my personal experience with the 3.8 Compact;

• Higher round count
  • 8/10ths longer barrel
  • Ability to field strip w/o pulling trigger
  • Adjustable backstraps to personalize grip
  • More aggressive grip texture w/o resorting to non-firearms accessories (skateboard tape)
  • More ergonomic grip (subjective)
I can make the argument that most or all of these improve the perfromance for many shooters. But the really cool part is they are BOTH available and YOU get to choose.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Glad to hear you and your son are sharing a great sport together. Yes, I will agree the XDm is a very good pistol and I place it on par with my Glocks.

·
Registered
895 Posts
the xdm is "a piece" of amazing! i'm a big fan also, shoot a glock for awhile then shoot an xdm you'll either sell the glock or become more of a glock-cock in complete denial of how you experienced a better shooting pistol while using the xdm. xdm recoil and follow up shots are amazingly easy no wonder you compete with them, awesome to read about father and son shootin!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've been considering getting the XDM5.25 and joining the USPSA shootemup club. I have an XDM45 that shoots better than most 9mms I've tried and I have a PRP trigger that I bought that I never installed and figured it'd turn that 5.25 into a real bruiser.

funny, I bought my xdm sight unseen and never even held one in the store and read all the glock and M&P guys complaining about the triggers so I bought that PRP trigger before I even held my gun. sadly I found that I loved the trigger straight out of the box. now I dont know whether I want to get a five and a quarter and drop the trigger or just throw it in my 45 and try my luck with that...

·
Premium Member
127,168 Posts
No argument here.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I shoot my XDM 4.5 9mm better at speed, than any other pistol, I've ever tried. Its the best shooting pistol I've ever had, overall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts