Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently picked up an XDM 3.8 Compact in .40 and have been trying to get my girlfriend to head out to the range with me. She has never fired a gun and I'd like her to know how to safely handle them if they're going to be in the house. She has yet to go with me since she just doesn't like my pistol (stay out of the gutter with that one ;)), so I've been trying to see if I could find one she likes.

As I was searching online the other day, we came across the Ladysmith, not sure which model, but it certainly looked sharp with the stainless and rosewood grips. She said if we get that one, she would finally shoot with me, and if she didn't like it then I could have a nice looking revolver. Then I started to wonder...

...If I end up carrying a Ladysmith, would I lose my man card!? :shock:

A quick search on google led me to another forum where I found my answer, not sure of the forum or the author of the post but this is basically what it said:
"A silversmith is one who has great skill in working with silver, a poet is often referred to as a wordsmith, a gunsmith is one who is adept at making firearms work, so therefore a Ladysmith must be one who is skilled with the ladies!"
Your thoughts?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'd compare this to an old Datsun a friend of mine had. Looked terrible. Rust, mismatched panels, dings and whatnot. However, it had a well tuned engine, custom suspension, and all the bells and whistles you could imagine under the hood. Looked awful, but he could smoke most anyone in his class when it came to a race.
If push comes to shoot, and you wind up hearing a BG's last words come out as a muffled insult to your gun...I could live with that.
Nice quote there at the end too!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Never heard of a ladysmith before, but after a quick search those look like some fine guns. Wonder how they shoot.....

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have a 59 series lady smith its very very similar to the chiefs special but scadnium(sp) but mine is an auto, but my uncle carries a 38 lady smith every day.

·
Registered
132 Posts
RamRod said:
So I recently picked up an XDM 3.8 Compact in .40 and have been trying to get my girlfriend to head out to the range with me. She has never fired a gun and I'd like her to know how to safely handle them if they're going to be in the house. She has yet to go with me since she just doesn't like my pistol (stay out of the gutter with that one ;)), so I've been trying to see if I could find one she likes.
Same story here but my gf wants a pink gun( prob thinking they don't make any ) I'm not carrying it if she doesn't like it lol

·
Registered
29,735 Posts
Same story here but my gf wants a pink gun( prob thinking they don't make any ) I'm not carrying it if she doesn't like it lol
Au contraire!

There are MANY pink guns out there. Many of them factory, as well.

Charter has pink anodized revolvers, S&W has revolvers with pink grips (as well as the Julie Goloski model M&P auto with a pink grip insert), Kel-Tec has pink framed pistols...

·
Registered
159 Posts
My dad has a .357 mag ladysmith. Stainless with rosewood grips. Very nice pistol. I have held and manipulated it extensively and am still as manly a man as I was before. Plan to shoot it soon, if I suddenly develop a lisp and begin wearing @ssless chaps I will let you know.
Adam G

·
Registered
725 Posts
At least they're not pink. You'd shoot yourself in the wiener if it was pink.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
bought my wife her her Bersa and it had hot pink grips, so no man card lost, it's an exception when you are getting a lady to shoot guns

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
The ladysmith that comes with factory wood grips is the 60ls, which is a .357.
It weighs 21.2 ozs.
You shoot a couple of boxes of 357 out of that, you'll get your man card returned with green stamps.

Honestly, take her to a range that has rentals, or borrow someone's 22 and get her used to that. From there step up to a revolver/pistol caliber that she can reliably handle then choose the color. Or get the gun and have the pink grips / cerakote or whatever applied. A pink Desert Eagle?

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
My wife loves the pink guns, and she's a former deputy. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
My dad has a .357 mag ladysmith. Stainless with rosewood grips. Very nice pistol. I have held and manipulated it extensively and am still as manly a man as I was before. Plan to shoot it soon, if I suddenly develop a lisp and begin wearing @ssless chaps I will let you know.
Adam G
hahahaha, dang that's some funny stuff. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I will answer your question with a question
If a bad guy gets shot with a ladysmith, does it make him less of a guy?

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have been eyeing a pink walther p22 at my local gun shop for her since it would be a range only pistol.
This is a good choice for her first shooting. I've seen many ladies driven away from any hobby because the guys tried too much, too soon. I wouldn't want her first shot to be with a .40 cal. That shot may scare her away from guns forever. If it doesn't, she can have my man card. ;)

I have a scandium J-frame .38 +P with a 3 finger grip. Even the tame .38 hurts to shoot. No way I'd want a new lady shooter to try it.

Pic stolen from the internet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts