Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several times that the cause of a FTF is the shooter limp wristing. While it sounds obvious, I cant imagine it.

Please advise.

jcwolves

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats right. My only guess is the slide failes to solidly lock forward.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Basically it happens because if you don't hold the gun tight, the frame will go with the slide which doesn't allow the slide to eject/feed properly. You have to hold the gun as solid as possible so the slide can act independently from the frame.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shnozzer,

Well that helps a lot, I just can't picture it. Of course, I've never fired over 150 at a time.

jcwolves

·
Registered
239 Posts
Its kind of hard to explain if its never happened to you. First semi-auto handgun I ever shot was a Para-Ordinance .45 when I was 12-13 and I had a lot of limp-wristing problems due to recoil from it and I was big enough to handle it.

If it should happen to you, you'll almost know it instantly because the barrel will flip more than normal.

I guess I don't really have any other way to explain it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
limp wristing mainly casues FTEs. That is bacause the slide cannot cycle fully when the frame is cycling with it. Then it won't get the spent case out and have a FTE.

Just try this. When you rack the slide you stfin up the arm and hand that holds the frame. No let that wrist go all loose like jello. The try to rack the slide, see how the frame wants to do with it? Well that happens a lot faster when firing and the slide canno go all the way back becasue some of the energy that is supposed to move the slide has been used in moving the frame.

Basically the slide doesn't fully cycle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
jcwolves said:
I have read several times that the cause of a FTF is the shooter limp wristing. While it sounds obvious, I cant imagine it.

Please advise.

jcwolves
Semi-auto handguns need relative acceleration between slide and frame to properly load and eject during the firing sequence. To see this from the handgun's perspective, first grip the frame and pull the slide back - easy, yes? Next, try to pull the slide back by holding onto the slide ONLY. Now you know how the handgun feels when you accelerate it backwards!

As you can see in the excellent videoclip provided in this thread, the limpwristing event involves angular acceleration of the handgun instead of pure translation. Some shooters are very susceptible to this - my girlfriend, for example, could probably limpwrist a particle-beam weapon.

Rotnguns

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
limp wristing makes you look like a sissy, but it doesn't mean you are one.

Raymond

·
Registered
298 Posts
Careful! Not only is your gun cocked and ready to fire, but your finger is on the trigger too! :shock: But then again you could be at a range. I hear that windows and window treatments are all the rage for indoor ranges now. :lol:

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've seen FTE not only from limp wristing but from people bending the elbows as the video clip shows, which acts like a shock absorber.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
+3 to this thread.
Figurin out what "limp wristin" was.....made it possible to hit the paper! My shots werent all over the place...although no FTE's.
Go figure eh?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FatMAtt1981,

Good to hear this helped you out and remember what CPT Ray said
"limp wristing makes you look like a sissy, but it doesn't mean you are one."

And to parafrase Billy Chrystal It's better to hit good than to look good.

jcwolves

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I'm not really sure why I kept limpin it like that. I used to do it for years.
I reckon cuz my short arms wasn't used to stretchin that far :oops:
I always kinda my head cocked to the side to look down the sights....now I've got it where I can hit targets with both eyes open.
My accuracy has improved with all my pistols....even gnarly .45 8)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts