Which sighting system is better?

• Eotech with either 3x or 4x magnifier

• Trijicon ACOG 4x32 ECOS Scope TA31-ECOS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a flat top upper receiver for my Colt Featherlight in order to get a decent sighting system. However I am torn between an EOtech with either a 3x or 4x magnifire or the Trijicon ACOG 4x32 ECOS Scope TA31-ECOS. I was looking for some imput, opinions, or personal experience with either system and the plus/minus aspects to either before I purcahse one or the other.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I recently purchased a flat top upper receiver for my Colt Featherlight in order to get a decent sighting system. However I am torn between an EOtech with either a 3x or 4x magnifire or the Trijicon ACOG 4x32 ECOS Scope TA31-ECOS. I was looking for some imput, opinions, or personal experience with either system and the plus/minus aspects to either before I purcahse one or the other.
If you go with the EOTech and the FTS mount for the magnifier you can have a CQB setup and a long range in one. The Acog is purely 4x

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
^^ What he said. It all depends what you will be using your AR for.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
If you go with the EOTech and the FTS mount for the magnifier you can have a CQB setup and a long range in one. The Acog is purely 4x
I agree with what The DRis said.

I have an Eotech without a magnifier. I have never used an ACOG.

I have heard the tritium? in the ACOGs are supposed to last about 10-12 years. I know they can be restored/recharged at the factory but never heard what the cost would be. I will stick with the batteries in the Eotech. The battery route may be cheaper over the years, I really don't know.

But either way, both are good choices.

I have been considering the Aimpoint system with magnifier as my next purchase.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
If you were only engaging medium-long range targets I'd say ACOG but with anything else go with the EOTech and magnifier. You've got a CQB/Medium range setup and you could take the magnifier off and use it as a hand held monocular if you wanted to.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I prefer and have the EoTech. However if possible tryout both and see what works better for you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I like the EOTECH. With the flip magnifier, you can't beat the easy transition from CQB to long range shots.

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ACOG w/ Docter on top?
Yes, it is the one with the Docter on top, it was the only reason I was considering that ACOG. I want something that would provide me CQ and longer distance, however, I am somewhat dubious of combos because it one thing breaks it seems like the whole thing does, kind of like those old TV/VCR combo units. But, I thought the ability to go from close to far by moving the eye was a neat idea.

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all your comments, guys, and I am taking your recommendations seriously, as I am used to basic scopes or iron sights. I have used the M-4 in the past but with only iron sights, and picked up a CAR-15 years ago because I loved the M-4 and wanted what I could get, legally, after packing that M-4 around for years. The newer red dot systems seemed neat rather than messing around with the iron sights, figuring your eye, etc. Though it was usually pretty easy for me because I tend to me "mechanical zero". But, if I can do the same with a little red dot, I might as well embrace the technology, but I also wanted to take full advantage of the ability to engage mid-range to long range targets. Again, thanks guys, I will be listening to opinions and suggestions very seriously, as this sighting system is pretty expensive and actually is going to cost me more than I have in the actual weapon. Made a good trade years ago.;)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I've got an Eotech 512AA with the Eotech 3x magnifier with the FTS mount. I have no problems with it and it's a great set-up. However, on my next gun, I'll be getting an ACOG. Both are great sights.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I've got an Eotech 512AA with the Eotech 3x magnifier with the FTS mount. I have no problems with it and it's a great set-up. However, on my next gun, I'll be getting an ACOG. Both are great sights.
I think that is a good idea. The cost of the Eotech is cheaper than the Acog, with the mag its only about $300 cheaper, but it is cheaper. And then spring for the nice Acog on another rifle. I will have several rifles so it makes sense. The only thing that sucks is that the Acog cost more than the build.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Out of a feather weight small, tiny, light rifle you might as well keep it close and personal. I would go with the Eotech minus the magnifier. You want to play to this rifle's best features, and that feature is extremely light weight.

You may even consider one of the smaller bushnell red dots or a C-more.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Man i wish i could help you out more.im in the same spot. i have an eotech 553 and am putting the 4xFTS on it as well as the same exact ACOG picked out for my LWRC thats coming in next wed...what a perfect little Christmas gift, eh? after talking a lot with a lot of people, several that served in Iraq, i have concluded that with these two options either is good, both are great sights/sytems. as has been said the eotech has a few "possibilities" that could be used in a pinch...the use of the 4x magnifier as a monocular and the superior CQB the eotech has. if i had to get only one i guess it would likely be the Eotech system, but if you need or will eventually need two optics ...well obviously id get both since thats what im doing!:rolleyes:

sorry im not more help, but im in the same boat!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts