Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have spent approximately 10,000,000 hours trying to figure out what my next gun purchase will be. I think I have it narrowed down but I keep changing my mind.

What I am looking for is something small enough that it is very easy to conceal with a IWB, tuckable IWB a plus but not totally needed is something that I can pocket carry without much trouble or a deep carry rig like the smart carry. Mainly I need something that I can carry no matter what clothes I wear, I may have to deep carry but that is okay, I would prefer pocket carry if possible.

I want something in at least 9mm and prefer it for a small gun due to recoil, the other main options I am looking at are the Kel-Tec P-11's really it's down to P-11 or XD9. Kahr are more money and I don't like the owners of the company, at least Kel-Tek is all American, I know the XD originally was out of country but Springfield is a US company right and now they own it so I understand.

Prices I have found are....
$225 P-11 with chrome slide
$379 XD9 SC with one or maybe 2 10 rnd mags
$469 XD9 SC with 2 10 rnd, 1 15rnd, one paddle holster

So basically have any of you pocket carried a XD9 SC, if it will not work like this then how do tuckable IWB work for dress clothes, if that doesn't work what luck have you all had with deep carry like smart carry or the shoulder rig that goes under your shirt?

I realize this is a XD board but try to be unbiased, also if there are other models please mention them so I can look them up.I also thought about a compact P99 or SW99 but S&W sucks, not only because they helped the assban but also because they have a line of LEO pistols and IMO that pisses me off.

I love buying guns but I hate only being able to choose one.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have both the XD9 Sub and the P11. The XD will not fit any pocket I have, it is easy to carry IWB. The P11 can fit into a normal pocket and will vanish IWB. The XD is a better built firearm and looks much nicer, The P11 is built well although the finish is not top notch but is very serviceable. I have had and carried both for quite some time, I would trust either to do their job when called upon.
Both firearms have had no problems with any ammo I've feed them, carry or target either store bought or my own loads. I would not consider these guns in the same class for size the P11 is much smaller & thinner than the XD sub. The P11 trigger is much heavier (about 8.5#) than the XD and is a true DAO setup. Either firearm will serve you well. Try to test fire them both before you make your decision.
If you go with the P11 be sure to get the pinky extension for the mag if your hand does not feel comfortable on the grip. The extension helped my control of the firearm quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The XD-9SC would go in a pocket but you're not going to want to put it there, it's just to bulky and heavy. A lot of people poo poo my method of carry for my SC but it works for me and that's the Clip Draw. I have no problem with it. IWB holsters just don't work for me. I wear a lot of sweaters in the winter and it conceals nicely with the Clip Draw.

I bought a .40 Service model and it came with the Kydex paddle holster. If the paddle that comes with the SC you're looking at is the same one, try it on first. I'm not real fond of it. It does stick out a good bit. A nice leather holster IMHO would be better choice or even an Uncle Mike's.

One thing you'll find out about most of people here is that, yes, it is an XD board, but I think you will find the most honest answers about other firearms here too. If the XD isn't your cup o' tea, fine, find one that is, that's why there's so many to choose from!

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
219 Posts
for pocket carry I use a Taruas 605, 5 shot 357mag 2" stainless. It is more then enough firepower, reliable, and fits great in the pocket with or without my pocket holster. It also cost under $300. Or sometimes when I need something a little bit smaller I carry my Kahr PM40 in a pocket holster but not often. Snubbies are were its at for pocket carry :wink:

ETA: XD SC are still to big to be a good pocket rig, I can fit mine in some pockets but I never ever carry it that way

·
Registered
209 Posts
As others have stated above, the XD-SC is not a great "pocket pistol" unless your talking cargo shorts/pants pockets (which the XD-SC fits pretty well.) The XD-SC is awesome for IWB carry though. You can't go wrong with a XD-SC.

Kel-tec P-11, with some fluff-n-buff (careful sanding of a couple areas to clean up the factory rough spots) is a decent, reliable pistol. Kel-tec gets knocked by a lot of gun owners, and their products are cheap. Still, if you take a little time with a new Kel-tec and smooth out some critical spots, they can be ultra-reliable pistols. I carry a P32 every waking minute and have put over 1K rounds through it with ZERO failures including hollow point ammo. I also took the time to fluff-N-buff it before I fired it (about 45 minutes of work in front of the TV.) Kel-tec, like SA, has a lifetime warranty.

Or look into a snubby revolver. Short of a Kahr, a 2" revolver is going to give you the biggest bang for the smallest package.

·
Registered
50 Posts
IMHO, for its purpose, ain't nuthin' better that the Kel-Tec P-11 9mm.

When i want to carry a deep concealment weapon the P-11 has 11 rounds, feeds everything I've fed it, is plenty accurate, and dosn't break the bank.

I sold my old P-11 to my brother-in-law a while back, but a new one is on top of my christmas list.

·
Registered
101 Posts
:idea:
Kahr PM9! Love the trigger on that little puppy....it has some snap but nothing too rough.

As much as I love by XD-9 SC its no good for a pocket pistol....

EDIT: Reading owns me.....I saw you didnt care for Kahr as a company....it is a little pricey but its a sweet little pistol.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The best sub compact 9mm is the Glock 26 and it is far better than any Keltec or compact XD.

For pocket carry you need a S&W bodyguard .38 snub.

Autos and pockets don't go togather really well.

The bodyguard can be carried in a coat pocket and if you are supecting trouble you can "innocently" put your hand in your coat pocket with a firing grip on your gun and no one knows you are ready. You can even rip off 5 rounds through your coat if you have to.

This is an old traffic cop trick. Many times when a cop walks up to you with his hand in his coat pocket he is covering you with a 2 inch .38.

He is ready for trouble but no one gets nervous knowing they have a gun pointed at them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts