Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got my AFG2 today to finish off my build. I have been to the range a couple times with 0 issues so far. Will add better pictures later, but wanted to get a few out there from my phone along with the build details. Thanks for those who helped from these forums, and please let me know if you have questions about the build or a part. Thanks!

Build List:
Spikes Forged M4 Flat Top Upper Receiver (Multi Cal)
Spikes (Multi) Forged Lower
Spikes M4 Stock Complete Kit
Spikes Tactical B.A.R. 7"
Dez Arms Stainless Steel Lower Receiver Parts Kit
Dez Arms 16" Mid/Car Fluted H-Bar 1x9 5.56 Match Barrel
Dez Arms 3 Port Muzzle Brake/Comp
JP Reduced Weight Trigger/Hammer Spring Set
BCM Gunfighter w/ Mod 4 Medium Latch
OPS-416 AR15/M16 Gas-Piston Conversion System w/ Modified Op-Rod
Hogue Monogrip
KNS Precision Hammer and Trigger Pin Gen. 2 Mod. 2
DPMS Firing Pin Stainless Steel
DPMS Bolt Assembly
Yankee Hill 4-Rail Gas Block
Magpul MBUS Front Flip Sight Gen 2
Magpul MBUS Rear Flip Sight Gen 2
Magpul AFG2
Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard - Aluminum
Magpul B.A.D. Lever
Yankee Hill Carbine Sling Adapter, Single Right Hand
Mako Magwell Grip
NDZ Performance Engraved Dust Cover
Primary Arms 3x Deluxe Magnifier
Primary Arms Flip to Side Magnifier Mount-Standard
Eotech 512.A65 Red Dot

Extras:
Magpul PMAG w/window 30rd
Specter Gear Viper Sling II with Mash Hook
Voodoo Tactical 36-inch MOLLE Soft Rifle Carrying Case
Barska 20-60x60mm Blackhawk Spotting Scope
Streamlight TLR-1S on B-Day List

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Nice build!!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Sweet build, shes awful sexy! :D Is that a Voodoo tactical bag in the last pic? I am still waiting on mine to get here, should be here tomorrow...I hope...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet build, shes awful sexy! :D Is that a Voodoo tactical bag in the last pic? I am still waiting on mine to get here, should be here tomorrow...I hope...:rolleyes:
Ya, I was sold on the midway bags due to the hefty price tag of a voodoo bag. A buddy found a link to sporting goods that had the voodoo bag for 45 bucks. We bought two, applied a 10 dollar discount to cover shipping and boom, 45 dollar voodoo tactical bag (it’s the real deal). Link below if you are interested. I love the shoulder straps and thick padding with very secured side pockets. I keep surprising myself how much I wear it like a book bag which frees up my hands for my range tools and scope.

Voodoo Tactical 36 Tactical Gun Case, Military Surplus, Voodoo Tactical, Mil-Spec Tactical Gun Case Army Digital Black Coyote Marpat at Sportsman's Guide

Range report in a couple days. Went last night actually to knock out a couple solid 100 and 50yd groupings, but ran into a guy who got us talking about IDPA competitions and then it got to dark.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Nice build.

From looking at your pictures, it's pretty easy to tell how the spikes lowers have changed manufacturers over the years.

The pictographs used to be much larger too.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ya, I was sold on the midway bags due to the hefty price tag of a voodoo bag. A buddy found a link to sporting goods that had the voodoo bag for 45 bucks. We bought two, applied a 10 dollar discount to cover shipping and boom, 45 dollar voodoo tactical bag (it’s the real deal). Link below if you are interested. I love the shoulder straps and thick padding with very secured side pockets. I keep surprising myself how much I wear it like a book bag which frees up my hands for my range tools and scope.

Voodoo Tactical 36 Tactical Gun Case, Military Surplus, Voodoo Tactical, Mil-Spec Tactical Gun Case Army Digital Black Coyote Marpat at Sportsman's Guide

Range report in a couple days. Went last night actually to knock out a couple solid 100 and 50yd groupings, but ran into a guy who got us talking about IDPA competitions and then it got to dark.
Thought it looked like the Voodoo bag. I just got mine about 30 minutes ago from UPS. You got a good deal or I got ripped off...lol...I paid 89.00 for mine, but I got the 42" bag. I got the ACU Camo...having a hell of a time putting the backpack straps on it too...lol :shock:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thought it looked like the Voodoo bag. I just got mine about 30 minutes ago from UPS. You got a good deal or I got ripped off...lol...I paid 89.00 for mine, but I got the 42" bag. I got the ACU Camo...having a hell of a time putting the backpack straps on it too...lol :shock:
Regardless of price its a nice bag. If for some reason you can return at no cost, then that link above has the 42" for $55. Also, just type "Sportsmans Guide Coupon" in a yahoo search and that should find a $5 off coupon for >50 dollar purchases.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not my style but it looks like it will do the job. That things gotttta be heavy.
Ya, I tried to find the middle ground since it’s my first AR. I do IDPA and ProAm's a lot, but wanted to get into AR competitions. I also wanted one for extra joy at the range along with self defense in mind. Only thing I am split on right now is the AFG2. Feels strange, but I am not use to a VG, so I bought in on the propaganda and rolled with the AFG2. 3x Mag at the moment is only planned for range shooting, unless I see people using at competitions. Other then that, I have the strobe light on my bday list to check off the self defense. Piston has worked flawlessly, but I don't have a DI to compare to. Time will tell.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I finally went to the range and focused on shooting as accurately as I could for 10 shots for both 50 and 100yds. I was happy with the 50yd groupings having nearly 9 all touch, but of course I lack the skills to go 10/10 where I aimed and have a straggler down low. I quickly adjusted my eotech for 100yds, took a shot and hit the inner circle, so I figured it was zeroed enough for me to go ahead and shoot the other 9. Well of course it wasn't, but it still represents the grouping at 100 minus the straggler at the top. :-x Hopefully with some more practice I can tighten that grouping up... time will tell. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Couple questions...hows the Primary Arms magnifier and mount? I have an Eotech and have been thinking about one. Is the mount solid? It witnesses well with the Eotech mounted direct to the upper?

Also, didnt see what your using as a front sling attachment point, or is that sling a single point?

ETA: Nevermind...didnt look at enough of the pics i see the single point sling in the pic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Couple questions...hows the Primary Arms magnifier and mount? I have an Eotech and have been thinking about one. Is the mount solid? It witnesses well with the Eotech mounted direct to the upper?
One of the best after build purchases I have made. I really wanted to see how accurate and how good this gun was, and with my eye sight as bad as it is, I went ahead and made my life easier at the range with the 3x mag. I couldn't find one bad review on the actually magnifier, but it seemed that everyone was spending big bucks on an upgraded flip to side mount. So naturally I started looking into good flip to side mounts and that price just seemed silly for anyone to spend. The 30 or 35 dollar mount (can't remember) that you can get through primary arms works PERFECTLY for the range and imo is well built and has no issues with the witness directly on the upper. I plan to take this gun to a few 2 gun competitions and due to the weight, I probably wont use the 3x at those, but it attaches so easily, I will have it in my bag just incase others use them. I know I won’t be winning any of those matches, so I feel confident with its flip to side mechanics being slightly slower then the very expensive push lever flips. The only other note is that I have had a few people check out the 3x mag at the range and everyone who uses or checks it out end up leaving very impressed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts