Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About my XD40sc is that is is HEAVY. Way heavier than my Glock 26. I understand I went from 9mm to. 40 s&w but even unloaded w/o a mag it is heavy. It's not a bad thing but it is noticeable. I have yet to get any range time in with the XD so I can't speak from that POV. I'll be going out Saturday for trigger time and I'll post a RR with pics of grouping and overall opinion on my XD then. Anybody else notice the weight of the XD compared to other poly frame pistols?

·
Registered
568 Posts
The glocks are lightweight, and I think that many try to compare the weight of the XD to the glock. Ive got full sized metal 1911's that feel lighter than the XD...so I know what you are saying.

However...once you shoot it...you wont care. Actually, I kinda like it a little heavier. It seems to help with recoil, and the weight is in the right places in my opinion compared to the glocks.

To me it seems like the weight is useful in the way that it provides a very well balanced pistol.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Glock 27 - 19.75 ounces
XD40sc - 26 ounces
SW M&P40C - 21.9 ounces
Sig p250sc - 24.9 ounces

Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull - 63 ounces

·
Registered
407 Posts
I actually sold my xd40sc because of the weight. I loved the gun and I shot well with it. But none of that did me any good when I was leaving it at home or in the truck. It was fine until I carried my brothers LCP for a day and realized it was way easier to conceal and be comfortable. So now i carry an LCP (bought from my brother when he lost his job) and plan to trade up to a sig p238 when my LGS gets some in.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I shot my light weight .38 snubby today along with the XDM-40 3.8. Wow, the snubby hurts, with gloves. :shock:

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Wouldn't a heavier gun = less recoil? Someone will chime in on this I'm sure...
Typically this is true, but the ergonomics of the gun and it's design, also have a lot to do with it.

Balance also has a lot to do with it ... Compared to a Glock of similar barrel length, an XD seems nose heavy to me, and has a more pronounced upward twist during recoil.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
With a PROPER gun belt (double thickness or with stiffener inserts) you won't notice the difference. And in a REAL gunfight, you won't notice either.

So, when do you notice it? If its just on the range I ask; "So what?"
Though I've never weighed it, I generally carry more than 5 ounces of extraneous things on my belt on in my pockets. Flashlight, knife or two, crescent wrench, handcuffs.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
About my XD40sc is that is is HEAVY. Way heavier than my Glock 26. I understand I went from 9mm to. 40 s&w but even unloaded w/o a mag it is heavy. Anybody else notice the weight of the XD compared to other poly frame pistols?
Thus why I am enjoying my new G26 sooo much. :D

·
Registered
471 Posts
Incidentally, weight doesn't reduce recoil across the board. Frame weight reduces recoil. Slide weight has some effect on recoil, in that it slows down the impulse wave, but it also contributes to muzzle flip.

That said, it also assists with feeding, ejecting, and cycling.

Still, it's not just the slide that weighs more on the XD over the Glock. The XD has that big ol' locking block. Glocks have frame inserts. Pick your poison.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That's called ruggedness ! It helps with recoil too like others have posted.
I too like a little more weight, it makes the gun just feel more solid, and in most cases it indicates better quality. If you hold a lightweight or airweight it feels like a toy, and as advanced alloy metals are today, unless it's titanium or scandium, it isn't as good as good old fashioned steel ! On XD/XDM even the polymer is heavier ! It's definitely a better polymer than what other companies use.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
That's one of the reasons I carry my G19 over my XD9sc on most occasions. I'm a big dude at 6' 220lbs but over time, the lighter weight can be felt.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I carry a full size XD9 Service.

Weight shmeight. :rolleyes:

:)

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Typically this is true, but the ergonomics of the gun and it's design, also have a lot to do with it.

Balance also has a lot to do with it ... Compared to a Glock of similar barrel length, an XD seems nose heavy to me, and has a more pronounced upward twist during recoil.
Welcome to the world of noticing the XD's higher bore axis. I don't mind it; I shoot my XD as well as I've ever shot any of my friend's Glocks.

·
Registered
27 Posts

I agree...I ALWAYS shot high with my 27...With my SD40 SC, I shoot lower than with the glock....much more accurately.
tr

1 - 20 of 25 Posts