Springfield XD Forum banner

Have you ever had rust on your XD's slide?

• Yes

• No

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever seen a speck of rust on your slide? If yes, select "Yes". If no, go with the other option. If you had your slide refinished, still play along. Just two options-nothing fancy.

It would be nice if we can get 100% participation from the membership, to see how much of a problem this really is. We'll see how this goes.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I said yes, but it was my fault and not the finish.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Never on the XD (2 years). I learned my lesson on my Browing A-bolt and Ruger P94. I put them both away without oiling after a very hot day of shooting with sweaty hands and got rust. Lesson learned.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Well you did say "speck of rust" so I put my sub9 under a magnifier lamp. There does appear to be minor rust around the rear Firesight on the slide. Also noticed was one speck of rust at the front sight. I hope your satified Old School! I will spend the rest of the night crying in my beer. :cry:

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Had mine since November, it's been in the safe for about 6 weeks. Pulled it out yesterday and two rust freckels were on the slide. Opened her up and the barrel was rusty in the area of that hook-looking thingy. OK on the inside of the barrel. Buffed her up real good and now you can't tell the rust was ever there.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Although Springfield warranty covers the finish on the XD, I have wondered if they honor the finish warranty on the HS2000. I use CLP on mine religously and it hasn't seemed to rust. However, several months ago, I had to replace a worn out extractor on my HS2000. Since I was able to do the replacement myself, I ordered it and paid for it and Springfield reimbursed me when I sent them the broken extractor pieces. When I had the extractor out, I noticed a rust deposit in the bottom of the extractor well. This is the one place that the CLP can't penetrate. I scrubbed the area out as a precaution, but I hardly think that the corrosion warranty would cover this. Most people wouldn't even notice rust in the extractor well because most people would probally have Springfield do the replacement.

My XD has a stainless finish. I have it polished to a near chrome shine with Mother's mag polish. I hope it never rusts.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I am among the minority who said yes. I have seen rust on my weopon twice.. a very light surface rust. The rust was so light that it could be easily wiped off with a cloth... I have since sanded the finish off of my slide, and I have never seen a speck of rust since. I will probably send my piece to be professionally re-finished one of these days...

All in all.. the rust is a complete non-issue. Just wipe it down once a week, and keep some oil on it.

Raymond

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far, I am surprised by the results. For those with rust, what do you use on your slide? I keep my XDs in a safe, in my basement, that is far from dry. I wipe the slide down with a dry cloth after cleaning and coat it with Armadillo. I have never seen rust. There were times after matches where I leave them in my bag and I thought I would see rust for sure. It has never happened.

Perhaps if the ratios continue along the current path, SA will reevaluate the matter, or at least give specific instructions on how the slide should be maintained.

OS

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Captain Ray said:
I am among the minority who said yes. I have seen rust on my weopon twice.. a very light surface rust. The rust was so light that it could be easily wiped off with a cloth... I have since sanded the finish off of my slide, and I have never seen a speck of rust since. I will probably send my piece to be professionally re-finished one of these days...

All in all.. the rust is a complete non-issue. Just wipe it down once a week, and keep some oil on it.

Raymond
I have since sanded the finish off of my slide, and I have never seen a speck of rust since.
It sounds like a dissimular metal problem. Some element in the finish is reacting with the metal of the slide and is causing the rust. If the finish isn't mixed well enough before it is applied then a rust forms in spots on the slide.

Got a picture of your slide Ray?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I think you are right about the metal reaction with the finish. I have never seen any rust on any exposed metal that I have sanded.

I will not post the picture in this thread.. but I will put one up in the Gen. SA/XD talk forum.. don't want this thread to get too side tracked. (I have a way of doing that to peoples threads! LOL)

Raymond

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had a light patina on my slide once after carrying when Ii didn't wipe it down with a silicone cloth before putting it up. It was definitely nothing major, but from the way I was taught to care for a tool, it was inexcusable and all my fault. Since then, have had no issue,even if i don't even do a field strip after 300 or so rounds at the range, just a wipe down with a silicone impregnated rag. That is all i use for lube and basic cleaningn too, I use Hoppes for the bore and any other powder fouled areas, and liberally coat the rest wiht a DRY silicone lube, and use a hotel shoe cloth(already silicone impregnated most times), soaked with the same dry lube as a wipedown cloth.

edited for spelling only.... :oops:

·
Premium Member
28,482 Posts
I have to admit I had a smidge of rust on my slide show up last year, but in all honesty I really neglected my gun. I carried nearly everyday last summer and most days my leather holster was soaked through with sweat. I would get home, wipe the sweat from my slide (it was enough that it was beading on the slide), and put it back in the same holster until the morning time. Don't forget it took almost two months of constant exposure to salt water with no reapplication of a protectant to get some rust to grow.

I removed the rust with a pencil eraser, you could barely see it (I had to look closely under my halogen reading lamp to see it), and recoated the slide with some Eezox and I haven't had a problem since. I try to wipe the gun down periodically after shooting it or exposing it to the elements and it seems to do the trick.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I didn't see any rust on mine, but the finish didn't look like it was holding up so great. After only a few months it was starting to look pretty beat. So I sent it out and had it hard chromed. Inexpensive insurance from my perspective.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
4 xds and only one has a rust problem. I take care of all 4 of them equally so I really think that some xds are just more likely to rust than others.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Never a spec of rust I live close to Puget sound so it does get hot and humid here, also (in case you did not know that this area has rain forrests) it rains here often and it has gotten rained on a good bit. M-Pro7 and CLP keep it purring along just fine.

·
Registered
334 Posts
2 xd's and gen 1 ...no rust whatsoever

mike

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Old School said:
For those with rust, what do you use on your slide?
I've used, in alphabetical order:

Armadillo
Birchwood-Casey Sheath
Breakfree CLP
CorrosionX
Eezox
Hoppes Gun Oil
Militec-1
Silicone cloth
Zymol

Honestly, I've never had rust on any other gun I've owned or carried, and I'm to the point where I'm calling SA today about it. Maybe I have the "Eeevil Sweat", but it hasn't affected anything else I've ever owned. The finish is the only complaint I have about an otherwise stellar gun.

<edited to add a product>

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine has major rust issues. I have only had one other gun have rust issues and it was corrected with a coating of car polish. This has not worked with the XD and continues to be a problem. Most recently, it was in my glovebox which gets cold from the AC and when I arrived at my destination, it was moist. I wiped off the gun and the next day it was rusty. I contacted Springfield and was quoted $90 to coat it. I use this gun in competition and other than the finish, it is a fine gun.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I posted this on another forum.

This thing somtimes spends a few days at a time locked in my truck as an emergency type weapon. I have it in a Lon_E holster wrapped in a t-shirt with a few spares. As you can see from the pictures it does not hold up well to the "elements" being warm and dry I guess. I clean this thing once a week when stored, and everytime I fire it. Before it goes in the truck its cleaned and given a whipe down with clp. These photo's were taken after 4 days in the truck. Weather around 85-95 deg, showers every night this week.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts