Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading another thread and the thought occurred to me, "I have more gear for my AR than any other rifle I own." It makes sense in a twisted way. I enjoy shooting my AR and it is extremely versatile, therefore, I don't mind spending a little money here and there.

As I mentally listed the gear I have accumulated, my mind seized on what I think of as the most useless AR gear I have. It works as advertised. It's reliable, not too expensive, and yet every time I come across it I ask myself, "What was I thinking?"

The most useless item I purchased for my AR is..........a 10 round magazine.

It's so useless I'm at a loss to explain why it is useless, except to say; I can't hunt with it, can't compete with it, don't load it at the range.....not good for plinking.

What about you? Has every piece of gear been useful to you?

What is your most useless item of AR gear?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Well, I haven't had the rifle long enough to really accumulate much, but the most useless thing I have is the stock grip. I put an MOE grip on it when I built the lower. I know that they are plentiful and no one really wants it, so I can only assume that I will have it forever.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Worst AR gear in general? Gotta be the fake suppressors. Heavy, expensive, and pointless... I won't go near 'em myself.

I also still have my default pistol grip, not doing me much good now. I did buy a rubber pad for the end of the buttstock, and it turned out to be heavy, slippery, and rock... I wanted light, grippy, and only just firm. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought the removable A2 carry handle, just made it a longer wait until I can replace it with the MBUS'es.

The 2 steel 20-round mags I bought from Brownells haven't seen ANY use since my pmags came in. Same goes for the drop-in 7" quad-rail handguard now that I've free-floated the barrel. NCstar 4x32 mini scope is hacking it okay at the 100 yard line, so I'm happy enough with that. Spikes ST-T2 buffer is backed up by the Brownell's carbine-weight buffer in case poop meets fan.

My *best* gear has to be the magpul AFG, the PMAG's, and the free float tube.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I

The most useless item I purchased for my AR is..........a 10 round magazine.

It's so useless I'm at a loss to explain why it is useless, except to say; I can't hunt with it, can't compete with it, don't load it at the range.....not good for plinking.
Not mine. Actually I have two of em. I like mine because in NH, hunting Regs say that no more than 5 rounds can be in a magazine while Hunting. So the Magazine plugs that I found are for the 10 rounder.

Also when I shoot from a bench, I don't shoot more than 5 rounds at a time.

I have piles of Mags in all different capacities. I use my 10 rounders the most.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I got mine with A2 front sight + gas block. Then the gunsmith who assembled it was "nice" enough to replace it with a free mini gas block, which ends up costing me more money on the MBUS front, and a sling adapter on the rail. Now it's sitting in my drawer that I have no idea what I'm gonna do with it.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
We can't hunt with mags more than 10 rounds so I have several low capacity mags on hand. But that's only for hunting. Any other time, we're not limited to capacity.

There are many useless AR accessories out there. A good indicator is most of the names begin with TACTICAL or EXTREME or ...

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Silencers don't really add velocity. That's just an urban myth.

Although a silencer can seperate the gas from the bullet faster and thus reduce yaw and inherently causing the bullet to fly truer with a possible increase accuracy, especially with a damaged or inproper barrel crown.

·
Registered
838 Posts
How about NOT useless BUT unused or little used?

Vortex Strikefire, replaced with a Nikon scope because I'm old and need magnification.

Magpul MOE handguard, OK but not the greatest fit, replaced with Troy FF rail. (Itself just used as, well, a place to hold the rifle, LOL)

Don't get me started on slings, the one that stays on is the cheapest, GI sling, simple and usable at the range just like the one on my M14 was.

Hell, I have AR "doo dads" I haven't even opened the packages on!:p

Still, you gotta collect something!

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is not meant to be a personal attack but you sir have the winner. I got a kick out of your statement. (No pun intended.):)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
i just got my pof about 5 mounths ago and all i have done to it is a acog 4x32 and a fowerd grip but i had noidea that half this stuff was out there it just shows how many people have no time and try to come up with something becuase they are bord

·
Registered
89 Posts
Silencers don't really add velocity. That's just an urban myth.

Although a silencer can seperate the gas from the bullet faster and thus reduce yaw and inherently causing the bullet to fly truer with a possible increase accuracy, especially with a damaged or inproper barrel crown.
I hate to disagree with you, but I'm going to have to. I shoot a lot of accuracy on test guns with and without suppressors while taking velocities and regularly see increased velocities on short barrel rifles with suppressors in place. On barrels 16" and over it doesn't seem to make a dramatic difference, but on a 9" AR velocity can be bumped up a good 50-100 fps, depending on the ammo.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
We can't hunt with mags more than 10 rounds so I have several low capacity mags on hand. But that's only for hunting. Any other time, we're not limited to capacity.

There are many useless AR accessories out there. A good indicator is most of the names begin with TACTICAL or EXTREME or ...
Service rifle matches. Several of us use 10 or 15 rnd mags for these matches.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Most useless IMO.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I hate to disagree with you, but I'm going to have to. I shoot a lot of accuracy on test guns with and without suppressors while taking velocities and regularly see increased velocities on short barrel rifles with suppressors in place. On barrels 16" and over it doesn't seem to make a dramatic difference, but on a 9" AR velocity can be bumped up a good 50-100 fps, depending on the ammo.
I don't really want to hijack the thread too badly and don't mind continuing this topic in PM, but I am curious what weapons, and caliber and such you're getting an increase in velocity from.

And just for the record, I have an 8.5" barreled AR that I shoot suppressed on occasion and I cannot say it gains a single fps when adding a suppressor. Let alone 50-100.

If anything, most folks who use suppressors will try to lower the velocity of their bullets so they'll be subsonic (or closer to subsonic) so they'll be quieter.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.