Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to pull the AR out of the safe, and after only a week, it's rusting:x
The guy at the shop cleaned it in an ultrasonic cleaner and oiled it until it was practically dripping. I don't think I should continue using the dirty ammo.
I called the store and Smith & Wesson, and both said this is a problem, so S&W is sending a mailing label to return it to them to see why it won't feed/ fire on the wolf 60 Gr. The store again offered to exchange it, but had nothing comparable in stock(and don't know when they will get more).
I am going to tell Smith that I feel the problems are related to the 5.45 caliber, and feel free to replace the upper with a 5.56, even if it takes a little longer. The store is also going to include a note with what they saw, and also say that I would rather have it back in a 5.56, and be done with it.
Hopefully they will decide to step up and take care of this.
FWIW, The shop has sold a few of these rifles, and mine is the only one with any problems. The others run flawlessly on the wolf ammo.

B

·
Registered
233 Posts
Where is yours rusting at? My BIL has one and I'll have him check it out.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
FFLs can ship any gun ground USPS, individuals have to ship handguns overnight via Fedex or UPS

Kommie companies like DHL do not allow shipping of guns at all.

Don't do any business with them DHL at all.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Don't firearms have to be shipped overnight?
FFLs can ship any gun ground USPS, individuals have to ship handguns overnight via Fedex or UPS
This.

Also add the time it takes to get the rifle in, enter it into their system, put it in queue behind the many other guns they have to work on, and it could be a week or so.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, after lots of waiting and phone calls to S&W (they shut-down from Dec. 22-Jan. 2 for the holidays), my rifle is finally on it's way back. The customer service rep. said they "completely rebuilt the upper", but wouldn't go into any detail as to what exactly was replaced. He also said that 90 rounds were test fired through it with no problems. It is still a 5.45 unfortunately, but if it actually functions correctly, I guess it'll do. :|

Now I need to figure out which Eotech and magnifier to put on it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've never purchased any type of optics before.
And don't worry about cost, my brother in law gets me his cost (50-60% of retail) on all my accessories. I just got a TLR-2 for my xd40 for $209 shipped:D I'd just like it to be effective up to a couple hundred yards out.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Well, after lots of waiting and phone calls to S&W (they shut-down from Dec. 22-Jan. 2 for the holidays), my rifle is finally on it's way back. The customer service rep. said they "completely rebuilt the upper", but wouldn't go into any detail as to what exactly was replaced. He also said that 90 rounds were test fired through it with no problems. It is still a 5.45 unfortunately, but if it actually functions correctly, I guess it'll do. :|

Now I need to figure out which Eotech and magnifier to put on it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've never purchased any type of optics before.
And don't worry about cost, my brother in law gets me his cost (50-60% of retail) on all my accessories. I just got a TLR-2 for my xd40 for $209 shipped:D I'd just like it to be effective up to a couple hundred yards out.

Thanks!
What are your thoughts about just picking up a S&W 5.56 upper?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went to the store to pick up the rifle today. I asked the guy I have dealt with all the way through this what it would take to swap my 15R, and the 1000 rds of ammo, rearsight, and extra magazine for the brand new M&P 15X (5.56) that was on the shelf.
200 bucks later I walked out with the 15X, an extra mag., rail covers, and a few boxes of shells. I know I lost a few bucks overall, but it was way cheaper than buying a whole new upper and having the 5.45 upper sit in the safe forever wasting precious space.

I have exactly what I want now................. except the 1500 bucks worth of goodies I want to go with it:D

B

1 - 13 of 13 Posts