Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to "testing" the Kim Pro Tac Mag that I bought a few weeks ago.

It seemed like a well made mag and it was 10 dollars cheaper than my usual Wilson 47Ds. The shop I visited was out of Wilsons...so I rolled the dice.

I ran this mag through the following pistols: a 1973 Colt Combat Commander, Stainless Springfield GI, Kimber TLE II and a 1953 Colt Govt. Model. Ammo was mostly WWB and Blazer Brass hardball, but I also ran a box of Winchester SXTs through the mag.

Results? No stoppages at all with any of these pistols. Everything ran 100% and the slides locked back on empty every time. I ran a total of 3 boxes of WWB and three boxes of Blazer Brass and the 2 boxes of SXTs. ran them all at the same session with no cleaning between mags and used the event to help ween my 12 year old daughter away from the 22 pistol and onto bigger things.

For 10 dollars less...I'd buy another Kim Pro Tac Mag. Forget what you know about the stock Kimber mags that come with your Kimber 1911s...this is a MUCH better mag. By comparing this mag to the stock mag that came with my TLE II...I can tell a total difference in quality.

I know this is not a real huge "stress test" but since I used a pretty wide variety of 1911s of varying ages....I thought I'd share the results.

Want a decent 1911 mag for 10 bucks less than the 47D Wilson? The Kim Pro Tac Mag seems to be a winner.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have Chip McCormicks, Wilson 47Ds and Kim-Pros. Kim-Pros are my favorite. Super reliable, metal flush fit bottom so you get 8 rounds and don't have a plastic base sticking out.

Also, Kim-Pro Officers are the only mags that feed reliably to my Kimber Ultra. Kimber factory officers and Wilson officers stovepipe the last round. Kim-pros have never had any issue.

I have NO idea why Kimber doesn't put these mags with every gun they make.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have one and have been very happy with it. I do like that the 8 rounder is almost flush with the bottom of the grip. I love my 47Ds, but do hate the base pads.

·
Registered
41 Posts
One reason they work so well is the newer ones use an 11lb. Wolff spring. They are made by Checkmate in case any of you didn't know. If you compare the springs side by side to a 47D spring you will be surprised. Top Gun Supply has pretty good prices on the Checkmate mags.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts