Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presume I am like many of you that has four or more different holsters, all looking for that magic fit with zero printing. (XDM 3.8 9mm)
Holster manufacturer marketing departments have me continually searching and researching for the "best."
For those seasoned carriers among you, is that high dollar custom leather holster the nirvana you have been seeking, or just another holster?
Thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Out of about 10 so far I like the N82 tactical with the super tuck a close second.

·
Registered
18,433 Posts
Not sure you can get a zero printing.

But I have learned that no one really notices. I have started to carry OWB more often now.

For IWB, I like my White Holster. Very comfortable for all day wear.

For OWB, I have a Zlogonje leather holster.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Not sure that their is a Perfect holster..As we are all different in our body types,clothes,needs,etc.. So with that in mind we offer a lot of choices,check out our High Ride holsters we sell a lot of these..

·
Registered
341 Posts
I presume I am like many of you that has four or more different holsters, all looking for that magic fit with zero printing. (XDM 3.8 9mm)
Holster manufacturer marketing departments have me continually searching and researching for the "best."
For those seasoned carriers among you, is that high dollar custom leather holster the nirvana you have been seeking, or just another holster?
Thanks.
In Michigan, printing is not a crime, and I don't really care if I print. Michigan is also an open carry state, and when people open carry, 98.5% of the people don't even notice.

As far as a favorite holster, the one I've settled on is the Blackhawk Serpa retention holster. I need the retention feature because I ride motorcycles, ATV's, tractors, etc. and do wood-cutting and splitting and other activities that tend to slip guns out of other types of holsters.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Unfortunately, and unlike the pistols we carry, you can't really try before you buy. So am suspecting that you too will end up with a drawer full.

Seems like that every month or so, I'm on the prowl for the next latest greatest.

As of late have been looking here. TAGUA GUN LEATHER For leather, price is right up my alley. ;)

·
Registered
530 Posts
I carry single stack pistols, but my holster choice is Crossbreed and Alien Gear.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
After considerable research I purchased the Crossbreed Supertuck for my XDm 4.5 9mm. Very comfortable and no printing issues. It helps to "dress around your gun" - pants one size larger for IWB, good belt, and loose fitting shirts. I am able to completely conceal my XDm with jeans and a T-shirt tucked in and bloused around the gun. In my opinion the CBST is worth the money and wait time. And you know what they say about opinions.......

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I am not a big guy. I go 5' 4" and about 156lbs. so concealment for me is a challenge.
I have been CCW for about 25 years. My first a 92FS FULL size (Which was stolen this year by a snake sukin' son of a ....) which printed more than I wanted.
A couple of years ago I purchased an XDSC .40 with a Crossbreed Super Tuck.
I can wear this handgun with the lightest of clothes and feel confident of my concealment. I have never had a holster hug my body like this one does. I even use a thick Walmart belt and not the $100 gun belts out there.
Buy what you want, but I am a Crossbreed wearer for life. I haven't even experimented with any other holster because for me this is THE one.
"No, I do not work for Crossbreed."

·
Registered
828 Posts
To attempt to get on topic:
What are you calling "high-dollar"? I have a couple holster from CB, White Hat, Galco, etc... I guess they're on the expensive side but since I wear it 10-12 hours a day I consider it worth it.

That being said, my first attempt at IWB carry was an XDs in a CB Super Tuck with a "thick" dress belt for daily carry at work wearing a button down/polo and slacks. It was a disaster and I resolved myself to pocket carry after getting frustrated.

I picked up my first gun belt, started playing with holster position and clip adjustment for ride height and finally allowed the holster to do its job. I've learned that a good holster becomes great when you learn to wear it "your way."

I rotate between an XDs, G19, Sig 938 and even a Kimber 1911 in a variety of IWB holsters comfortably without my coworkers or clients noticing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Like some have already noted, body size and such plays a big factor. You asked about leather specifically, I'm guessing because of the comfort.

But I have found a comfortable kydex holster that fits me perfectly. Foxx Trapp holster, for my xd9sc. Good retention, adjustable cant allows me to get a good grip when drawing from holster, and only around 40 bucks. I wear it at 3 o'clock.

I've fallen asleep while equipped with this setup many times! They also have SuperTuck style holsters for around 40.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
One of my Jhooks just broke on my CBST after about 8 years. It cost me $6 to get another one.
I wear it every day all day long with XD .40 installed. Comfortable and great concealment. End of story and holster searches.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Foxx Trapp holster
Iv'e got a custom Little FoxX Hybrid tuckable, I really like. I suspect the "Trapp" is of the same high quality. Iv'e bought 2 CBST's and learned I can't stand double clipped holsters. They are MONSTROUS in size, inside your pants. I need to get rid of 'em, just haven't yet

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
What are you calling "high-dollar"? I have a couple holster from CB, White Hat, Galco, etc... I guess they're on the expensive side but since I wear it 10-12 hours a day I consider it worth it.

That being said, my first attempt at IWB carry was an XDs in a CB Super Tuck with a "thick" dress belt for daily carry at work wearing a button down/polo and slacks. It was a disaster and I resolved myself to pocket carry after getting frustrated.

I picked up my first gun belt, started playing with holster position and clip adjustment for ride height and finally allowed the holster to do its job. I've learned that a good holster becomes great when you learn to wear it "your way."

I rotate between an XDs, G19, Sig 938 and even a Kimber 1911 in a variety of IWB holsters comfortably without my coworkers or clients noticing.
Great advice to try several height/can't positions and holster position. I carry my xds and xd subcompact in a firearmholster.com, and am very happy with the concealability and comfort of both.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
My first concealment holster was a Crossbreed Supertuck for my Walther PPS 9mm. I love that holster and can conceal my gun very easily with it, even under just a T-Shirt and cargo shorts or jeans. I think I've found my "perfect" holster for all around CCW, and have no reason to move away from it! I've even hiked with it on and it was still pretty darn comfortable then!

But everyone is different, some may find the one that is perfect for them, and some may constantly end up in search of a perfect setup without truly finding it.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Let me try one more time to get across what information I am looking for.

Like many of you, I already have the Crossbreed, AlienGear, Fobus and other Kydex and Kydex/leather IWB and OWB holsters. They all function well, and all are in the general "less than $70 range."

Ok, we all got that?

Now, just to take one of our "premium" leather holster vendors at random - Brigade Gun Leather sells a LEATHER holster for about $129.
Another one, Galco, makes some nice LEATHER holsters for about a hundred bucks.
Not to leave the other manufacturers out - there are a bunch of real craftspersons in our supporting vendor lineup, and I thank them all.

I am personally shy about spending over one hundred dollars for "just another holster."
So, please, what is the compelling reason for purchasing one of these fine leather holsters? Are they really worth the money, and please, why?

·
Banned
0 Posts
I love my Nelson Holsters The quality is second to none. It is also the most comfortable holsters I have ever used. The neoprene backing really makes you forget your wearing it. I do have a draw of holsters I don't use anymore mainly crossbreeds that just gather dust. His order time is extremely fast and customer service is top notch.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I love my CBST!!! I got my CBST used (about $70 new), from a friend, a few years ago. He gifted it to me because he decided he wasn't going to carry his XD anymore and stick to the tried and true 1911 he had. It was already pretty well broken in. Fit great and held my carry piece close to my body very well. Best CCW holster I've EVER owned. I do, however, have an Alien Gear IWB holster inbound. It was a Father's Day gift! We'll see if the CBST holds on to the king of the hill title for me.
To answer the OP specifically, yes, the CBST is the cat's meow...for me.

If the AG takes the number one possition, I will say that my economy (starting price $29.88 ) holster is just as good (or better...we shall see) as my "high dollar" holster.

Went through a handful of "economy" holsters before the CBST...and none of them came close.

I would say that MOST folks have the best results going from the "economy" class to the more custom, high-end, holsters.

I really hope the AG works out for me because, if/when I decide to carry different guns, $13 for a new shell is a heck of a lot less expensive than purchasing a whole new custom holster. <fingers crossed> Also that will make two really great holsters I have gotten as gifts!!! :D:D

ETA: I work for neither CB nor AG

1 - 20 of 24 Posts