Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These books were written in the early 70's and came about by school children and teachers interviewing Old-Timers and Mountain Folk from the Southern Appalachian Mountains. These people were real survivers and lived off the land. I bought my father several volumes. Start by reading "The Foxfire Book" it talks about hog dressing, cabin building, moonshining, snake lore, etc. Their stories of survival.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My Grandmother had some of these and I used to love to read them when I was a kid. I recently got a couple of volumes of my own and still like to read them when I get the chance. There is a lot of wisdom that is lost on today's society in those books.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Great books, I have a few of them (2nd shelf up in photo). Alot of good info in the. Plus in other survival related books they mention them, so you know they are good. In lights out, Gunny gives the guys a copy of his FF books.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
They're online (probably illegally), if you look hard enough.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
My dad had all of them in the original covers from the 70s. I don't know what happened to them after he passed. Growing up I had no idea what they were about. I found out later from my mom after they divorced how close they were to moving to Maine to live off the land in the late 70s. All my mom remembered was how she was terrified that she would have to make her own soap. My mom talked my dad out of it saying, if you want kids then we are going to raise them like normal people. I guess you could say that thanks to those books, I was almost never born.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.