Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had my XD-9 in the glove compartment of my car for about a day and a half, went to grab something out of my glove compartment and noticed my XD was looking funny, pulled it out to find it covered in rust.

Heres the pics: (WARNING, BIG FILES)

http://www.mehbliblar.com/rust.htm

Anyways, I brought it in and cleaned it up, let it soak in oil for about an hour and its good as new. It is partly my fault since I was a few days behind on cleaning it but damn, thats a lot of rust no matter how often it is or isn't cleaned.

But theres no harm done since it all cleaned off. Now if it happens again, its definately going back to XD but this gun is staying indoors for awhile now.

·
Registered
492 Posts
That sucks man, thanks for the heads up, we have even worse humididy here in south Alabama where I live, I'll be sure to watch out for that, it seems the coating should have prevented the moisture from getting to the metal, what kind of coating do these guns come with anyway?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ack!!! After a day and a half???? To me that is a quality problem. I didn't realize that there was NO finish what so ever on my XD. No gun should rust like that in a day and half.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah its pretty insane how fast that **** accumulated. I'm definately watching it closely and if theres even a hint of rust, SA is getting a phone call and if they give me any **** they'll get an email with some pictures attached.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
South Dakota has humidity? I remember being in the Badlands..It was well over 100 degrees, but I think the humidity was pretty close to zero. I realize it's a BIG state....

The way your gun looked does surprise me. I'm sure your post will end up on the Glock Talk forum in their "feel good" section..LOL

But even just looking at the pic, I could see it was the kind of oxidation that would wipe right off. Still, it shouldn't happen, and if you can stand to be parted with your XD, I guess the move is to let it rust like that again, and send it to SA and have it refinished under warranty.

I'm in Florida, where we really do have serious humidity. And I have even shot my XD from my buddy's boat a few times, had it sprayed with salt water which I could only really get completely off by rinsing it with fresh water...not an ideal way to clean a gun (with water).

I never have had a rust issue of any kind.,

Did you look to see if you had any rust on the inside of the slide?

I have mentioned here that I use a polymer car "wax" on my guns. It's sort of like shrink wrapping them. Klasse Car Prodoucts...expensive, but great stuff...I wouldn't use anything else on my cars now that I have learned about this stuff. My car looks better than it did on the showroom floor. More shiny for sure. The stuff can be layered unlike real wax. Perfect for protection. On a gun too. Build up layer upon layer of plastic coating.

But while that may be the reason I never had any rust on my slide, I did not use the stuff on the inside of the gun. Just CLP.....and I haven't seen any rust anywhere. Not ever.

I wonder if with all the rust problems reported if anyone has had rust inside the slide??

No one to my recollection has mentioned that. If all the rust is just outside (surface rust to the degree you had) it seems like an easy thing to prevent, I personally would just keep the gun clean and protected with something like Armadillo, or the car wax, or even just a drop of gun oil, as it should be anyway. I keep my stainless .45 waxed and oiled too. Can't hurt. My used blued Ruger is 15 years old and hasn't ever showed a trace of rust....and there is a spot toward the muzzle where the bluing is pretty worn (would anyone holster a 7 inch barrel .22??? LOL).

Peace,,
D.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
USe the car wax or Johnsons paste wax is really cheap for a pound tub at walmart. Cover the pistol in some type of protectant. People do not realize that the car is one big humid oven that traps moisture.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As I've said in other gun forums about this topic, I used Hoppes #9 and regular gun oil for 20 years until I discovered Eezox. I think Eezox is just as powerful of a solvent as Hoppes #9, and it smells much better, too. Truth be told, I love the smell. And as for rust, forgettaboutit. You may have seen these already, but if you haven't you ought to check out these links:

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html#eezox

Eezox is your XD's best friend. I've used Eezox on my Sigs and 1911's with excellent results.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Delija, I live in the southeast side of the state, where its wet. Anything west of the river is pretty damn dry. We've had a few days of ran and when the sun does shine, the humidity shoots up like crazy. I think it was over 90% humidity over the last few days when my gun was in my car.

I should've oiled it up before I took it out but it wasn't that long since I last cleaned it so I thought it would be fine. As of right now I'm satified that it came off with a damn good cleaning so I'll wait and see if it does it again. It wasn't the easiest to come off but it put some elbow grease into it and it came off.

Definately gonna be investing is some Armadillo though. The worse thing that could happen is I'd have to send it in to SA and wait a few weeks so I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
SE South Dakota has humidity like Minnesota does...the last couple days were pretty humid in the Twin Cities area.
That will be a Post on Glock Talk in a short time :roll: they do it to feel good about themselves.
That is pretty amazing how much rust accumulated!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Early on I had some surface rust come through the finish on my XD, mostly in places where my fingers touch the slide. I cleaned it with eezox, and a silicon rag has kept it from coming back.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If this does show up on GlockTalk, just holler at me, I can take down the link in no time. Don't need to give them fuel for the fire. :wink:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've had my glock 19 in the glove box for weeks at a time and its never rusted. My dad keeps his glock 26 in his glovebox and its never rusted.

This kind of stuff scares me.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Shnozzer-xd-9 said:
Well, I had my XD-9 in the glove compartment of my car for about a day and a half,
hmmmm.... you leave your gun in your glove compartment for a day and a half and your worried about rust?

you got your priorities wrong sir. a gun with rust on the slide will still fire when you need it, but a gun that was STOLEN out of your glove box wont...

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Shnozzer-xd-9 said:
If this does show up on GlockTalk, just holler at me, I can take down the link in no time. Don't need to give them fuel for the fire. :wink:
LOL...looks like we didn't have to wait for the Glocksters. Here's Stepper with his 2 cents already... :D

As AJames said, a car can be a big humidor....Put on the AC, your gun is one of the few pieces of cool metal (I'm old enough to remember metal dashboards :roll: ) and it will be dripping wet from condensation when the hot damp air hits it.

Willbond and Silk and AJames all point out the same thing. Rust is preventable.

Want to store your gun for 50 years? Break out the cosmoline. A few days and the CLP should be adequate.

The reason I like the polymer (synthetic car wax) is it is dry. I'll still spread a drop of CLP over each gun. But I don't want slippery cocking serrations. I wipe the oil off with a silicone treated cloth.

Bottom line we have all seen guns with no protective coating...at least most of us have. The old worn army issued 1911s that have been worn down to bare metal still function and while they don't look bright and shiny or "tactical" black with a perfectly even finish, as long as they are kept oiled, they just look splotchy but they work fine ... I think they look like they have a lot of character. Glock's Tennifer is a great innovation. But cosmetics are a just cosmetics. Lipstick on a pig. These are not pretty guns to start with. Neither the Glock or the XD. They are reliable and accurate and easily maintained and easily field striped guns. Form follows function. But pretty? LOL...not hardly. Not in my opinion.

I don't think they still do it, but they used to cover European cars with cosmoline to survive the ocean trip on freighters. Rust proofing has come a long way. While it was virtually impossible to keep an old Porsche from rusting....an old gun could always be maintained. Effort? Yes. Difficult? Not at all.

Now we have more hi-tech protectants like Armadillo and Eezox, and liquid polymers. There's really no reason to get beat by rust. Even a quick wipe with a silicone treated gun/fishing reel cloth will do the trick in a pinch. With today's technology, you can be lazy and still maintain a gun well. A little more effort, and you can really keep any gun looking new except for holster wear. Which I suppose Glocks are immune to?

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The BEST rust preventive I've ever used is RIG. 8) It is a rust inhibiting grease that's been around since before WWII. I used to have may dad sent it to me over in 'Nam to put on our weapons - - - that was a rust inducing climate! You can find RIG at well stocked gun stores or online. Try it, you'll like it! :wink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine did the same thing yesterday, but mine was only in the glove box for about 4 hours (8:00AM to 12:00PM).

·
Registered
657 Posts
send thoes pictures to SA and get yourself a new coat thats freaking insane!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dolanp said:
Just curious, do you normally CLP the entire slide when you clean the gun? What do you currently use?
I use CLP but I was a few days late on cleaning it. If you look at the pic from the top of the gun, you'll notice there isn't any rust around the retaining pin since oil will come out of it.

Even though I was behind on cleaning it, it still shouldn't have happened. But it all came off and I'm watching it like a Hawk now. I still might send it in eventually because it still kind of pisses me off but I don't really have time to do it for a while.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
yeah, 2 days in the car and that happens is ridiculous. That needs recoated.

To keep my stainless steel slide from rusting, I coat it in remoil after every time i carry it.

CUDA, Auburn or Alabama fan?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts