Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys here's my question. are XDM slides and triggers able to fit on XD receivers? I just thought of this after about the umpteenth time of hearing some poor guy in california ask if XDMs have 10 round mags so for a practical application side,

can a person take a XD reciever, replace the slide and trigger with an XDM slide and trigger and effectively have a california legal XDM? granted this does not sound like a very cost effective method but still... curiosity got the better of me

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahhh...forgot about that stupid XD take down lever... sometimes I forget how easy it is owning an XDM

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
^^^ I didn't realize the XD was hard to take apart :p

·
Registered
17,759 Posts
"How close does a fly get to the ceiling before it flips upside down and sticks?"

courtesy of "Bolt" from when I was in the Marines

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't think locking block fits....also....where you going to get the slide? They are unavailable
Good point; didn't think about that. Also, the Ms have slightly different length barrels; i.e. 3.8" vs 4" or 4.5" vs 5", so even if one was able to get an M slide onto an XD lower, the physical dimensions would be completely off. Interesting question though.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point; didn't think about that. Also, the Ms have slightly different length barrels; i.e. 3.8" vs 4" or 4.5" vs 5", so even if one was able to get an M slide onto an XD lower, the physical dimensions would be completely off. Interesting question though.
well in theory, the only difference with the 3.8 4.5 and the 5.25 are slide assemblies and you should be able to hot swap between them...again it's not cost effective since you have to buy the whole gun just to get the slide but I still fingered I'd ask...thanks guys

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
I think the short answer would be "No" Know for a fact that different XD slide calibers don't match to different bases/grips.

And what is the hard part, or fear of pulling the trigger to release the slide of a XD?? Mystery :confused:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the short answer would be "No" Know for a fact that different XD slide calibers don't match to different bases/grips.

And what is the hard part, or fear of pulling the trigger to release the slide of a XD?? Mystery :confused:

haha nothing hard about the XD, just that you dont even have to pull the trigger with the XDM, having the easiest gun in the world to strip just kind of spoils you.

and I kind of fingered that you'd at least need the same caliber, I forgot about the different take down devices and the only difference I knew about different grip texture and angle.

I was unable to make this work. The barrels, locking blocks, slides and slide stops are different.

Rob
excellent! first hand experimentation, theory tested, data collected, results analyzed and final report publicized. XDs and XDMs= bad joojoo.
thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
The dumbest question I have heard all week? The dumbest question I have heard this week you ask?

(From my 17 year old son) The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the stupid. "Dad.....Jimmy Joe and Wally Bob are going to this club in downtown Dallas this weekend that allows people in at age 17, can I go too?"

That's the dumbest question I have dealt with, so far, this week. As to your question, I say no but I would contact S.A.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
(From my 17 year old son) The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the stupid. "Dad.....Jimmy Joe and Wally Bob are going to this club in downtown Dallas this weekend that allows people in at age 17, can I go too?"

haha nice, "Dad, Franky and Keuter just got their fake IDs and want to hit up this Rave downtown, can I come along? timeless

·
Registered
343 Posts
I know that it's already been solved that the parts are not swappable but I want to add (not having any real experience or knowledge) that modifying weapons like that that might require paperwork. I'd think in this crazy world of stupid legislation that there are probably laws governing that sort of thing. Especially in Cali. Like I said I don't really know... Just food for thought.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know that it's already been solved that the parts are not swappable but I want to add (not having any real experience or knowledge) that modifying weapons like that that might require paperwork. I'd think in this crazy world of stupid legislation that there are probably laws governing that sort of thing. Especially in Cali. Like I said I don't really know... Just food for thought.
as far as I know(I dont live in cali so I could be completely wrong), there are no illegal semi auto pistols, only magazines that contain more than 10 rounds(the only thing keeping people in cali from buying XDMS). as far as frankenstiening parts, AR15 builders do it all the time. you can have a rifle with a stag lower reciever, an FN herstal upper reciever, a rock river arms barrel and a DPMS bolt carrier group but the gun itself is just a Stag. the only serial number and model that counts in the one from the reciever. but again, I dont live in cali and haven't read into the laws that much.

but as for a common sense view yes it is a very bad idea to mix parts from different models

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Even if you could do it, youd have two different serial numbers... Good luck explaining that one in CA
the receiver is the only serial that matters, everything else is just spare parts. otherwise all gun repairs would be illegal unless the part was made with corresponding serial numbers, which would defeat the purpose of serial numbers. think about it, your trigger breaks, you get a new one with a new serial number. your barrel wears out, you get a new one with yet another serial number, your striker breaks, you get a new one with a new serial and in an extreme case, your slide is damaged and need a new one, it also is going to have an non-corresponding serial number. the major argument with this thread was not whether it's legal but whether is was possible, a fact that has since been refuted. it is not possible to mix parts from an XD and an XDM.

·
Super Moderator
22,209 Posts
What so stupid about this?
Exactly!!! You and me Carlos, we seem to think on the same wave length a lot.

"On approaching the ceiling, and while still flying right side up, flies extend their forelegs over their heads till they can grab a landing spot with the suction cups in their feet. Their momentum then enables them to swing their hind legs up, like a gymnast on a trapeze. Result: inverted fly, home and dry. So the answer to your query is, they get real close. Hope that'll do." - Internet

1 - 20 of 31 Posts