Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to the gun store today to take a look at some 1911s. I have been debating what to get next. I didn't handle anything in particular in that I didn't try to handle equivalent models from different manufacturers. I just handled what struck me. I enjoy the passion I have for my guns as much as I enjoy what they do, so I grabbed what grabbed me :D.

Here is what I handled and my thoughts on them:

Springfield TRP (non-railed):

Tight!!!!! Man this thing was tight. The sales guy kept calling it an Operator. It was not. They don't even know what they are selling. Anyway, yeah, so this thing was tight. Did I mention that? It was the tightest 1911 I have ever held... but it wasn't smooth. It didn't have that smooth feeling like the slide was riding on butter. The finish was very nice and, though I usually look at pictures of it and think it looks way too big to carry, I figured out it is just the awe-inspiring kickass look of the gun that makes me feel that way. In hand it was quite manageable and I am confident I could carry it with no problem. As I have read here and elsewhere, the front strap checkering was pretty hard on the hand. 20 lpi is not forgiving. But it was a beauty of a gun and I would be very proud to own one. They wanted $1349.

Springfield SS Loaded:

Not as tight as the TRP by any chance, but a world away from the RIA I have. Easily tight enough for me to feel like it is a high quality piece. The slide action was not smooth at all. It definitely needed it's share of ammo to get smoothed out. I didn't test triggers on any of the guns I handled. The finish looked very nice and I really liked the matte finish on the top of the slide vs. the shinier sides of the slide. They wanted somewhere around $800.

Kimber Tactical II:

First impression: holy crap that's light! I have never held an alloy-framed 1911. Very cool! Finish was outstanding, just like my Warrior. Front strap checkering was much more friendly than the TRP. The slide was not as tight as the TRP but it definitely felt nice. I could actually see light in one little spot when looking at the back where the slide fits to the frame. It wasn't easy, I had to get just the right angle, but this wasn't something I have noticed on my Warrior. I would not have bought that particular gun, but I might have looked for one that didn't have quite that much of a gap in that one spot. Now this is the part I am a sucker for: the slide action felt like it was rubbing on that super slippery stuff that Clark Griswold used on the sled when he went rocketing down the hill and across the highway. :p I remember now! This is what made me buy my Warrior. Actually it is documented on this board... I went in there to look at Colts and Springers and I walked out with a $1200 Kimber! Anyway, this is the thing that always gets me with the Kimbers. They just feel right to me. That is probably the single biggest thing that makes me feel like my RIA is cheap... the slide action. Very nice gun, very light, $989, pretty cool.

Kimber CDP:

This is the lightly melted model made for carrying, well except for that stupid ambi safety. I hate those. Anyway, this one, too has the alloy frame. I like the weight of these. Granted, SA makes one too, so that is not a deciding factor. This gun did not have the "light gap" of the previous Kimber and the slide again felt tight. The movement on the frame was slicker than snot and it called to me... again. This one was $1089.

So with my only Kimber being my Warrior that FTRB's about 10-20% of the time, am I a complete idiot for even contemplating another one? To be completely fair to Kimber, I have never given them the opportunity to make it right and that is my fault. I hoped all the way through ~1100 rounds that it would get better.

I do not buy into the Kimber marketing hype. I know they have mastered that. I don't care. But, when I get one in hand, I love the way they feel. I love the slide to frame glide. I just like them a lot. Did i say I like them?

Have I lost my mind? I think I may need an intervention... where's that damn XDm 45 when I need it? Help me!

·
Registered
185 Posts
i dont know if you have had the chance to hold a s&w 1911, thay make an extremely fine pistol, the slides are smooth, and the triggers are usually between 3 and 5 lbs. i own a s.s. model and couldnt be happier with it, its also an extremely accuarate weapon. and you also get the best warrenty/ factory service in the business.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
NAHC LIFE MEMBER

WE CAN ONLY BE WHAT WE GIVE OURSELVES THE POWER TO BE....

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's tough... all 1911's are awesome. Looks like you tend to prefer the "bells and whistles" models. I love to look at those, but for shooting I actually prefer the classic style models; Colt's in particular. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
If it is a range gun stay away from Aluminum frames, My CDP pro is my least favorite range gun to shoot. For carry it cant be beat. I've probably put 4-5000 rds through the CDP and it is accurate as hell, reliable but I can only put 4-5 mags of full bore ammo through it before I have to reach for a steel framed gun. My full sized Kimber and Springer get most of the range duty.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
As a longtime 1911 shooter and a recent Kimber TLE II buyer...I can honestly say that my TLE has been one of the most pleasant and accurate 1911s I have ever shot. It was worth every penny.

I have a Springfield and two Colts so I am picky but every Kimber I borrowed and shot over the years left me with a good feeling. I always caught myself thiking "why DONT I own a Kimber?"

So, last month, when I went in search of another 1911...I came across a great deal on the TLE II and snatched it up. Its really alot of gun for the money, when you look at its features. This is also the pistol that LAPD SWAT uses...and now I see why.

I'd consider a steel framed Kimber and look at the Custom or TLE II, if you can do without the fancier finishes of the other Kimbers. I really like mine and would never get rid of it.

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
If you don't mind the weight, the Kimber TLE II is the best deal coming from Kimber right now. Same build as the Custom II except it comes from the factory with front strap checkering and Meprolights.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Pick your holster right and you'd be amazed at how well the fullsize 39oz 1911 can be carried.

Get a nice, custom made holster like a Tucker Pancake or El Paso Saddlery "Street Combat" and it sits high and tight and does not droop or flop around.

No, not as overall comfy as a PPK but not uncomfortable, either.

You could always go with the 4" Kimber Pro Carry HD in 45 with the steel frame. I thought about it...but could not find one nearby.

All in all...still VERY happy with the TLE II...its an amazingly accurate affordable production pistol, if you ask me. I doubt I could shoot markedly better with a 2000 dollar Baer or Wilson.

- Brickboy240

1 - 8 of 8 Posts