Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Confession time. I don't clean all my guns the same. While most of my guns are kept as close to new condition as possible, the gun I shoot the most often does not always get the same full on detail that others get. Being blessed to have a place to shoot at home, I know I will be shooting "that gun" within a couple of weeks or less. Right now "that gun" is the XDs. I absolutely love it and can't quit shooting it. So that leads me towards the question. Unless a gun is really filthy I general use CLP in an olive oil mister. I spray everything down fairly liberally with the exception of the striker channel. Then I start in with my gun rags, usually old cut up tee shirts and Q-tips. Quite often I just swab down the barrel with these big oversized Q-tips and don't brush it. So, will that cause me issues with build up or accuracy? Will I go to hell for that? Also, as long as I am confessing, I don't keep my frequent flier .22s **** and span either.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Running a patch and some hoppes 9 takes like three minutes. I would recommend a few brushes with a bronze brush after letting your cleaner set, then flushing it out, at the very least.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
:lol:

Attachments

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I would agree that is what I should do. I am not sure what my problem is with the gun I shoot so much. It's like polishing my work boots. I just struggle with doing it right. It may be a mental block of some sort. Or it could just be that I am a little bit lazy.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
If it's a carry piece I keep it as clean as possible. If it's just a range toy, I wouldn't worry much about how often you brush the barrel. I keep my guns really clean but I'm finding I don't have to be so OCD about it.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
It seems that I can run a brush through and a patch right after 20 times and the last patch would still be dirty. I give up after two times. I don't have that many old tshirts to cut up lol. I also am able to shoot in my own yard so my .22s especially don't always get the treatment they deserve. I've been thinking about getting an ultra sonic cleaner just for my barrels though.... I am going to Scheels tomorrow, hmmm.

·
Premium Member
18,061 Posts
Let's say you go to the range and shoot 100 rds due to lack of time. You go home and meticulously clean your gun for the next trip, however long in the future that may be.

Let's say the next time you go, you shoot 500 rds. Why don't you stop at 100 rds and clean your gun, because the build-up may cause your gun not to work properly for the next 400 rds?

That's never made any sense to me. Consequently, I don't clean my guns after every trip to the range.

There's my confession.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Get a bore snake. My guns take like 5 minutes....I scrub the frame/internals with a nylon brush, lubricate contact points, bore snake the barrel and then run the same oversized q-tips through with a little hoppes on them. Very light lube on the barrel and GTG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
1 bottle fire clean or slip2000ewl(many others work)
1 ap brush
1 t shirt tear up for rags
1 bore snake

Unless shooting lead that's all you need for polymer guns. Cleaning sub 10 minutes.

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
29,830 Posts
I'd concur with getting a bore snake.

And, once or twice a year (or every 1000rds through the gun), give it some foaming bore cleaner, let it sit 15 minutes, give it a brush and a couple of patches.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I'd concur with getting a bore snake.

And, once or twice a year (or every 1000rds through the gun), give it some foaming bore cleaner, let it sit 15 minutes, give it a brush and a couple of patches.
15k didn't need it in my mp shooting fmj and jhp bore snake of a 30 cal less than every 500 rounds

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Once heard a very different philosophy on the subject. The more I think about it, the more I agree with it.

The person in question would meticulously clean his carry piece - full disassemble, clean, and reassemble. He wouldn't carry that gun until he had gotten to the range, and fired it without issue.

That gun, after being cleaned and fired, was is his mind, the cleanest that he would trust the gun - proven reliable by the only method possible.

Now back on subject, I personally use bronze jags instead of brushes, I think they last longer, and I bought a full set for my rifles and it included pistol calibers as well. I can definitely spend too much time cleaning it... I'll agree with most everybody here that for a routine cleaning, a bore snake is a good option. In the past Ive run anywhere from 500 to 700 rounds without cleaning, and I've only detailed every piece on the gun twice in the two plus years I've owned it - once when I bought it and once about 1500 rounds in

·
Registered
13 Posts
I clean it after every range use and lube it before the range and after cleaning. I usually spend 15 min cleaning it and it's cleaner than I kept my m4

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I'm just gonna say I like the name seniledude.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
15k didn't need it in my mp shooting fmj and jhp bore snake of a 30 cal less than every 500 rounds

What?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts