Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I got a chance to fire my 'new' 1911 Loaded that I traded my Colt AR15 for and I fired it head-to-head with my XD-9 Bi-tone Service today.

When I first brought the 1911 home, I was delighted at the extra heft of an all metal pistol. It is very well balanced. Instantly, my hands wrapped around the grip and with a little help from my left hand, the muzzle end lifted straight and true. Ah, a warm welcome I must say. This pistol has my name on it.

I took it apart to get familiar with it. Just a basic field strip. It was fairly simple to disassemble. The guide rod needed to be unscrewed with a flathead and the rest was cake. I cleaned it, lubed it, and greased it. Assembly was more tricky. The 'barrel link forward' was a new thing for me but I got passed it and crossed my fingers that I assembled it correctly.

On to the range!

The ammo I had for the 1911 was just some ball ammo by CCI Blazer Brass and Remington UMC's. I first sent the target out to 25 yrds to see what the 1911 had and I shot paper all five rounds. I have trouble with that with the XD. Okay, time to hone my skills so I bring the target to about 15 yrds.

The 1911 liked the CCI's. I was a bit more accurate with it even though they looked a bit poorly manufactured compared to the Remington's. The Remington's had that annoying flash, the same experienced by my XD. My groupings stayed under 6 inches for both ammo, with the CCI's being more accurate minus a few flyers.

Okay, the XD's turn. Not so good. I was feeding it PMC 115 gr ammo and at about 15 yrds, I was all over the place. My groupings were, let's just say they weren't groupings. hehehe.

In conclusion, the 1911 will be dear to me and the XD, well, it's the bastard child I'll love as well. I might never get good with it, but I'll try. The grip is just a bit too big for me and I believe this is my problem. I've installed the 'bicycle' grip on it but it didn't help much. If you can give me any suggestions on how to improve my groupings with the XD, please let me know. My friend is an ace with it, not me.

As for the 1911, I think I'll get good real fast.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Point the XD at the target and dont put your finger on the trigger, extend your trigger finger to the side of the gun and point forward. Thats where the bullet will hit. Imagine when you shoot that you are pointing.

Eventually you will get to where you can draw and pop one in the head at 15, and then 25 yards, thats what I did

·
Registered
159 Posts
try some differant ammo in the xd first.

steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts