Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Vendor
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Right Concealed Carry Gear Means You'll Carry Well And More Often

One of the best concealed carry habits to acquire? Get the right concealed carry gear. You'll be able to carry better, you'll enjoy it more or at least find it more comfortable, and as a result will be more apt to carry.

We know concealed carry here at Alien Gear Holsters. A lot of us carry every day. Many of our customers do. What a lot of them have told us is that comfort, along with fitment of the pistol, are some of the most common reasons why they don't carry every day. If you don't like it, you won't carry with it.

You won't carry a gun that you don't have an easy time carrying. You probably won't carry if you have a shoddy gun belt that isn't up to the task.You may need to get multiple holsters, in case you carry with multiple concealed carry methods; a modular holster system would be a great tool for doing so.

The point is that a concealed carry habit is acquiring the gear you need in order to put yourself in a position to succeed at concealing and carrying.

Continue reading at: The 5 Habits of Highly Effective Concealed Carriers - Alien Gear Holsters Blog

·
Registered
9,448 Posts
Pretty good article, although I suspect most of us here are already in-tune with these basics.

With some time to kill this morning, here are a few more of my personal habits...

At a restaurant, I like to sit nearer the kitchen... it expands your escape options. I also try to park in the back if possible so I can eyeball the backdoor situation (usually near where the stinky dumpsters are). If it's not gated-in, a chair, an ashtray, and some cigarette butts tell you that it's easily accessible from the inside... it's where staff take their smoke breaks (no alarm).

I sit w my gun-side away from the dining room, facing the main entrance.

When walking from point A to point B I give blind corners a WIDE berth... it not only keeps people's chocolate out of your peanut butter, it allows you to see what's going on on the other side before you're in it and gives you space to react. Distance=time. That's inside, outside, parking lots/garages, day or night.

If someone needs a hug, go low. It forces thier arms up and away from your waist... that includes bro-hugs, if you do that sort of thing.

Keys, flashlight, whatever, keep something w weight in a strong-side jacket pocket if you're going to be unzipped. If you need to swing that garment out of the way for a draw some heft in that pocket will help because... physics.

Try not to carry anything in your strong hand that you'll hesitate to drop. Kids, puppies, priceless Ming Dynasty vases, your beer... stuff like that (kidding about the beer... we don't drink and carry).

That's enough. I just thought I'd share a few of the things I do and watch for. If it helps someone, good. If not, then that's okay too because it means we're all on the same page already.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Where I'm from, a couple years ago, Costco swatted a concealed carrier, then covered it up by mysteriously losing their cctv footage.

So I'd like to add. Don't reach up for stuff, don't bend over to pick things up. If I have to pick something up, I make sure there's no one with a line of sight to my back, and squat. If I absolutely must reach up. I reach with weak hand, and strong hand tugs on my shirt.

When I get in a car, I convert to open carry (put clothing behind holster, and expose). It's a bad position to draw from, so best to minimize thing in the way. This necessitates I make it a habit to "convert" back to concealed soon as I exit my vehicle.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Practice at home. Wear different clothes, wear different holsters, and put them in different carry positions. If you are average, you probably have five or so. Figure what works for you. Do chores. Pick things up, sit for hours. Empty your weapon and mags of all bullets, and practice reloading. Where do you carry the extra mags that are comfortable and accessible.
Eye opener - try it at night. With a light. Where do you carry the light. How do you deploy it, how do you align the sights behind it, how would you change mags?
Figure out a "summer carry" and a "winter carry".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try not to carry anything in your strong hand that you'll hesitate to drop. Kids, puppies, priceless Ming Dynasty vases, your beer... stuff like that (kidding about the beer... we don't drink and carry).
This ... guess I have to start leaving my Ming vases at home . Thank you for the laughs not to mention awesome tips and tricks. Have a Happy Sunday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Not gonna lie didnt read the link. My best tip though for ccw starts with get a kydex holster that covers trigger and retains gun by triggerguard tension only. It also needs to be able to quickly easily remove and put on without disrobing....because my big tip concludes with, leave gun in holster at all times if you aint shooting something. Leave it loaded and chambered but never out of holster. Put on as a unit and take off as a unit. That holster covering the triggerguard is your safety. Most accidents occur drawing and holstering. If you arent at a range or defending life, you shouldnt be doing either.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Some very helpful information shared in this thread. Thank you all for contributing, appreciate the information and everyone who shares their knowledge and experience.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Not gonna lie didnt read the link. My best tip though for ccw starts with get a kydex holster that covers trigger and retains gun by triggerguard tension only. It also needs to be able to quickly easily remove and put on without disrobing....because my big tip concludes with, leave gun in holster at all times if you aint shooting something. Leave it loaded and chambered but never out of holster. Put on as a unit and take off as a unit. That holster covering the triggerguard is your safety. Most accidents occur drawing and holstering. If you arent at a range or defending life, you shouldnt be doing either.
Plastic sucks.
Always loaded.
Every night out of holster on night stand.
When holstering first time in AM. KKEP YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH.

Or this one

Same applies to both

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Plastic sucks.
Always loaded.

Or this one

Same applies to both

You keep saying plastic sucks, but don't give reasons why. I listed reasons why leather isn't best in the other thread, but apparently you have more time to kill by doing the extra work leather creates.
Also the booger hook thing is cute if you're 12, those of us using plastic holsters just leave the gun in the holster so there is zero chance of an AD.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
You keep saying plastic sucks, but don't give reasons why. I listed reasons why leather isn't best in the other thread, but apparently you have more time to kill by doing the extra work leather creates.
Also the booger hook thing is cute if you're 12, those of us using plastic holsters just leave the gun in the holster so there is zero chance of an AD.
Well first as I splained in other about your extra work BS.

One word why I hate plastic holsters well OK two
Uncomfortable and bulky.

I am not worried about an AD while holstering or unholstering my weapon each morning/evening I LOOK AT WHAT THE FUCK IM DOING AND KEEP MY TRIGGER FINGER OF THE FUCKING TRIGGER
That better

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Well first as I splained in other about your extra work BS.

One word why I hate plastic holsters well OK two
Uncomfortable and bulky.

I am not worried about an AD while holstering or unholstering my weapon each morning/evening I LOOK AT WHAT THE **** IM DOING AND KEEP MY TRIGGER FINGER OF THE FUCKING TRIGGER
That better

You splained that you don't mind doing extra work. You said you like the smell of leather, as I said who smells their holster, that is a short bus thing to do. Wet leather smells, wet plastic does not. Leather holds dust/dirt, plastic does not, leather is usually abrasive where a properly made plastic holster is not.
See no need to yell.

If you do not need to handle a carry gun you don't, If you only have one gun that would be the only reason, who uses a shield for HD though?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Plastic sucks.
Always loaded.

Or this one

Same applies to both

I get that you have a way you do you...from the pics looks smelly and not enuf retention or concealment going on with deteriating organic material being trusted...
have you even swam those bro? Have you ever tried quality kydex? Seriously have no beef with you do what works for you...
but what i see in your pics would never work well enough for my standards but kydex will.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
You splained that you don't mind doing extra work. You said you like the smell of leather, as I said who smells their holster, that is a short bus thing to do. Wet leather smells, wet plastic does not. Leather holds dust/dirt, plastic does not, leather is usually abrasive where a properly made plastic holster is not.
See no need to yell.

If you do not need to handle a carry gun you don't, If you only have one gun that would be the only reason, who uses a shield for HD though?
My shield is on the night stand at night and if need be yes it would be used for HD.
As for the extra work well we went oner the under 10 secs it takes to do it.
I get that you have a way you do you...from the pics looks smelly and not enuf retention or concealment going on with deteriating organic material being trusted...
have you even swam those bro? Have you ever tried quality kydex? Seriously have no beef with you do what works for you...
but what i see in your pics would never work well enough for my standards but kydex will.
Couldnt tell ya about how it smells I dont sniff it.
Well lets see I am in an office all day I dont run to the truck or in to the store or stand on my head etc so it stays pretty well all day. Conceals just find as I am not required to wear a tucked in shirt etc so non issue. Weapon has never dislodged in my daily activity.
Plastic holster sucks but plastic firearm is ok. LOL

Padraig
Maybe Ill carry my trusty 4516-2 gen3 SW today. It fits in same holster(s) just fine as well.

·
Registered
9,448 Posts
I was a "Never Plastic" guy up until about 7 or 8 yrs ago... that went for guns AND gear. Had to go pretty far to maintain my aversion in the midst of all the new "stuff" coming out... nobody ever released a new all-metal gun or revolutionary leather holster, mostly rehashes of already existing stuff.

I'm still not completely over it, but I prefer Kydex for EDC and appreciate the weight savings of the polymer framed guns for same.

But I'm not beyond packing my 6906 in a Milt Sparks SS II, either.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts