Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeing a lot of "The 1911 trigger is easier" argument used lately.

Honest question: Do you think that it's easier, or is it just that more people are using it? I mean, the easiest trigger is the one you practice the most with.

Jerry M. (I won't butcher his last name by attempting to spell it) does pretty decent shooting with a revolver and its heavy DA pull. Because that's what he trains with the most.

Langdon did well with a P220.

Look at it this way, an automatic transmission is easier to drive than a manual, but if you practice driving a manual, then you can get a lot more performance out of your car than you can with an automatic.

The military guys seem to shoot competently with their M10s and M11s.

Not looking to pick any fights, just trying to start up some discussion.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
My stock 1911 trigger is mounds worse than my modified XD trigger.

I think the big thing with the 1911 trigger is that after market parts are cheap and abundant and since it's been around for more than 80 years people have perfected a 1911 trigger job. Try running a search on trigger job 1911 and trigger job XD and see how many useful results you get.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Jerry M. (I won't butcher his last name by attempting to spell it) does pretty decent shooting with a revolver and its heavy DA pull....
Jerry Miculek,....
Yea, He shoots a standard duoble action trigger, with about $20k worth of mods. Pick up a nice quality 1911, Kimber, Colt, Springfield, it does not have to be the $5k 1911, like you stated in one of your posts. A nice $2k Les Baer, of take a trip to Miami, I'll let you shoot my Team Match II.
Take a few shots, find out for yourself.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jerry Miculek,....
Yea, He shoots a standard duoble action trigger, with about $20k worth of mods.

Absolutely wrong. This is a gunbroker listing for the Miculek 625, which is the exact same gun that Jerry broke several speed records with. Cost? $805.

EDIT: I'm not trying to be smart allecky here, just saying that I don't know where the 20k mods figure comes from. Jerry M. has said that he does not like modified triggers on his revolvers.

S&W Model 625 JM 45 ACP Jerry Miculek Special!! : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Pick up a nice quality 1911, Kimber, Colt, Springfield, it does not have to be the $5k 1911, like you stated in one of your posts. A nice $2k Les Baer, of take a trip to Miami, I'll let you shoot my Team Match II.
Take a few shots, find out for yourself.
You seem to think that I'm bashing custom 1911s, which is nowhere near the case. I've shot a few slicked up ones before (a SA and a Dan Wesson). Love 'em. I had a SA Loaded, got rid of it, have regretted it since and will hopefully at one point get another 1911. I'm just saying that there are a lot of other options out there now. And if people started training with DA first pull semiautos (even though they seem to be getting phased out of production), they could shoot them very well.

EDIT: Thanks for the invitation, sir, that's very nice of you!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
People like the 1911 because it usually has less pretravel and a crisper break than other pistols. My 1911 has about 1/8" of uptake and a super-clean break but I don't shoot it as well as the XD because I shoot the XD constantly and know exactly where it is going to break. I can take up all the pretravel and then break the shot exactly when I want to.

Miculek can do the same with his revolver. 1911 lovers can do the same with their 1911s. The key is a consistent break. If the gun doesn't break at the same point every time, it's much harder to get good accuracy and speed. The rest is just the shooter adapting to the trigger characteristics.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Absolutely wrong. This is a gunbroker listing for the Miculek 625, which is the exact same gun that Jerry broke several speed records with. Cost? $805.
Ok,
I've been educated.
Would have never guessed He shot a "factory stock" trigger.
I understand your points, they do make sense.

I Guess I should learn,
I am not going to convince you,
and you are not going to convince me.
I will happily agree to disagree.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
You can shoot anything well with millions of rounds down range. Jerry has millions of rounds downrange and he still practices.

The less you move around the gun while pulling the trigger, the easier it is to hit what you are aiming at, that is what makes a good 1911 trigger easier to shoot.

I don't know of anyone who disputes it is easier to shoot a nice single action (a tricked out XD can get real close) trigger over a true double action, not even Jerry.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
It is NOT the same gun that Jerry shoots, it IS the same series revolver a 625. Also Jerry had to make the mods himself and put money into the stock pistol he used as his base. This is just marketing to make Jerry and S&W money. No where in the GB ad does it say it is the exact same gun, because it is not. What it says is "The S&W Model 625 is the same revolver Jerry Miculek set speed shooting record of 12 shots, two loads of six with reload between in under three seconds (.299)" Not that this is identical to the one Jerry uses. This is simply a higher dollar tuned "Celebrity named" 625

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
It is NOT the same gun that Jerry shoots, it IS the same series revolver a 625. Also Jerry had to make the mods himself and put money into the stock pistol he used as his base. This is just marketing to make Jerry and S&W money. No where in the GB ad does it say it is the exact same gun, because it is not. What it says is "The S&W Model 625 is the same revolver Jerry Miculek set speed shooting record of 12 shots, two loads of six with reload between in under three seconds (.299)" Not that this is identical to the one Jerry uses. This is simply a higher dollar tuned "Celebrity named" 625
+1 I saw an interview with Miculek in which he stated that the gun he set the record with had been tuned and shot so much that the trigger pull was down around 6lbs for double action.

And back on topic...1911 triggers are so good because their design allows them to be and (as stated above) the 1911 trigger job was perfected many years ago. Also, the 1911 trigger was designed before lawyers were on the design team. I have found that many of the semi-autos from the early 1900's have wonderful triggers. That was back when we were expected to take responsibility for our actions and to keep our finger off the trigger until we were ready to shoot.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
There's an easy way to resolve this question for yourself.

Go somewhere you can shoot 50 yards, and hang an 8" bullseye target and enough backer paper to catch about two feet of 'strays' in any direction.

Fire 10 rounds from the classic one-hand bullseye stance with each gun you are comparing. Mark your hits between strings; number them so you can tell them apart later.

Then fire ten more each, from your favorite two-hand unsupported position.

The target will tell you more about 'what works for you' than anything or anybody else possibly can.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I saw a interview with a smith and wesson armorer who was saying how Jerry M. uses a hevy trigger on his compitition guns for a fast reset. He also mentioned that Jerry has broken trigger parts by shooting faster than the gun resets and having strong hands like a gorilla. I guess he uses alot of pressure on the trigger but his pull is probably smooth as butter without moving the sights around.
As mentioned before a guy like that, who has shot so many rounds out of so many guns, will probably out shoot 99.8 percent of shooters with a stock hi point and a few mags to get familliar, even if the other guy has a super custom 1911.

·
Banned
3,651 Posts
Well Jerry M only shoots like 100,000 round a year though that pistol, so he get's more practice than most of us combined. Not to mention he's the only one who can claim that title, most people just can't function that way.

That being said, my out of the box 1911 has the sweetest trigger out there, and I own 17 handguns. All my XD's have Springer mods, all my Sig's have trigger mods as well. The 1911 trigger is the easiest to learn off of for obvious reasons. But you can 'learn' to fire other trigger mech as well with practice and $$$/ammo.

My IDPA gun is the 1911 for just that reason, time and accuracy:mrgreen:

Of course, the other 16 handguns I have are all accurate and have decent triggers, just not as butter as the 1911.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts