Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now im sure all of you know that amazing ping noise that comes form emptying a clip in a m1 Garand.
But did you know that during World War 2 the germans would wait to hear the ping noise and then come from cover and open fire on our G.I.'S, so later on during the war, our good men figured that they would keep a empty clip in their front pocket and fire a few shots, throw the clip on the ground and wait for th germans to pop up and then pop off the germans heads...just thought that'd be a neat lil' information to pass along :)
:D
:cool:

·
Registered
29,595 Posts
now im sure all of you know that amazing ping noise that comes form emptying a clip in a m1 Garand.
But did you know that during World War 2 the germans would wait to hear the ping noise and then come from cover and open fire on our G.I.'S, so later on during the war, our good men figured that they would keep a empty clip in their front pocket and fire a few shots, throw the clip on the ground and wait for th germans to pop up and then pop off the germans heads...just thought that'd be a neat lil' information to pass along :)
:D
:cool:

Myth--but a popular one.

However, when one thinks about it, it becomes kinda obvious...

First off, throw a Garand clip on anything but concrete or stone, and you don't hear a loud ping, just a thunk.

Second--leaving the hearing protection off, crank off a bunch of 8mm, while buddies nearby crank off a bunch of 8mm, and some more buddies start rapid firing a bunch of 9mm...while all this is going on, have someone toss a Garand clip on the ground 100 feet away...let me know if you can hear it.;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awhh i thought that was a real one too, pftt :p haha

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I can't say it is true or not as I was not there. However I do volunteer at a National Cemetery one day a week as a member of the honor guard. We use M1 rifles for the honors. I get to talk to a lot of WW2 vets. Some will tell you they used to bounce the E clip off the barrel to make the Germans think they were empty others will tell you they did not. I've learned to look at it as a piece of WW2 American folk lure. It really doesn't matter if it's true or not. What is true is that the M1 Garand was a great battle weapon in it's time and is still a much saught after piece of American history. I'm lucky enough to own one that I use from time to time to do special honors with and I get to shoot live rounds down range. Nothing shoots or sounds like an M1 rifle.
"PING":D

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Phew, by the title I thought you were talking about my golf club brand "ping" and were going to state some facts that would have made me have to boycott them. My golf game would have never been the same!

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I can't say it is true or not as I was not there. However I do volunteer at a National Cemetery one day a week as a member of the honor guard. We use M1 rifles for the honors. I get to talk to a lot of WW2 vets. Some will tell you they used to bounce the E clip off the barrel to make the Germans think they were empty others will tell you they did not. I've learned to look at it as a piece of WW2 American folk lure. It really doesn't matter if it's true or not. What is true is that the M1 Garand was a great battle weapon in it's time and is still a much saught after piece of American history. I'm lucky enough to own one that I use from time to time to do special honors with and I get to shoot live rounds down range. Nothing shoots or sounds like an M1 rifle.
"PING":D
I'm positive its not a myth, met someone that did it.

now did it work.... I can't see it. but I cant imagine a gi not trying it when your 1 on1 and trying to make it for the next 20 seconds of your life, its worth a shot and if they saw it, they would go for you, so probably once in a great while it did work.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Dont really see how it's a myth either. Theres no doubt whatsoever that both scenarios did happen. Also imagine it didn't take much time for our troops to realize what the ping meant. They shot that rifle before they went to combat, they knew long before seeing combat that ping potentially means vulnerability.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,755 Posts
For once the word "clip" was used correctly!

·
Premium Member
127,154 Posts
It does make a "ping" sound when it ejects. It has nothing to do with hitting the ground.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
He just wanted an excuse to post "clip" a bunch of times without someone flaming him

·
Registered
950 Posts
Larry Vickers did a video to disprove the myth. If I wasn't using my phone I would dig it up.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Yeah...I really can't say I believe it. Between shooting and being shot at there's no way that someone could hear that sound at any reasonable distance.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
Vickers and Hackathorn did a mythbusters style test on Tactical Arms/Impact with the Garand in the woods. Either one would fire the Garand a random amount of times, eject the clip, and load a new clip while the other listened for the ping behind a tree about 25-50 yards away no hearing protection. As the listener, both said they could near the action when a new clip was chambered but they couldnt hear a distinct ping of the ejection after hearing the shots.

Not sure how you would be able to pick out an ejection ping during the chaos of a gunfight

·
Registered
212 Posts
Unless a guy was all by his lonesome the ping only told the enemy HIS rifle was empty. If the enemy was foolish enough to stick his head up he might get it ventilated by another member of his squad.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts