Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of putting Truglow TFO sights on my XDM. I use the pistol for carry and IDPA. I am concerned that the front sight might be too wide for distance shooting. Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
127,068 Posts
I have TFOs on all my XDs: XD9 Tactical for IDPA and USPSA competition; XD45 Service for home defense; and XD9SC for carry. TFOs work well for me in all scenarios. In an advanced combat pistol course I took this summer we had to engage targets out to 35 yards and the TFOs never failed me.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I think they make shots past 15 yards harder than they need to be, especially tight small targets. I think the are fine for carry as the distances are close, but not all for long shots, as I think the .125 rear and .100 front combo is real hard to beat.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I think they make shots past 15 yards harder than they need to be, especially tight small targets. I think the are fine for carry as the distances are close, but not all for long shots, as I think the .125 rear and .100 front combo is real hard to beat.
I would tend to agree...What makes the TFOs so good for reduced light would make it a little more difficult for competition shooting but not enough to cause me to not get them for a carry gun. I think it would be good practice to compete with what you carry. If I were creating a competition only gun I would go with a thin front sight with a wider rear sight. I would also have fiber optic front with a plain rear sight. To each his own.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use the pistol for two types of competition and I also carry it. IDPA does not have that many long shots and the Tactical/Practical match I shoot is mostly short range, limited shot count and it is often low light with no weapons lights allowed. I think I will get the TFO's and if I don't like them I can always take them off. I really like the XDM!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I have been researching TFO's for my new XDM 9mm but cant find any? I would imagine they are the same for the 40? Any one know/have any ideas or have them on their XDM 9 yet? :confused: :confused: I am at a loss.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Ok TYVM!! Now I know. :D Will be ordering a set soon from Gilberts. :cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered a set from Gilbert's this morning for my XDM 40 and it will/is be my carry gun. I purchased an XDM 9 on Friday that will be a dedicated competition gun and am having a trigger job, Dawson Adj sights (FO front) and an extended mag release installed. I think Springfield has hit a home run with this platform. Of course I thought that of my M&P's until the rear sight darn near came off during an IDPA match and they started to rust. Groan!

·
Registered
291 Posts
are you guys installing your own, or having someone else do it? I have read that xd sights are notorious for being difficult to remove. I am likely going to put night sights on my XDm, since the option to get them stock is not readily available. I am looking to see what others have done. It is possible to do it without marring or otherwise damaging the slide right?

anyone use or hear of xd-hs2000 : Heine Straight Eight

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
are you guys installing your own, or having someone else do it? I have read that xd sights are notorious for being difficult to remove. I am likely going to put night sights on my XDm, since the option to get them stock is not readily available. I am looking to see what others have done. It is possible to do it without marring or otherwise damaging the slide right?

anyone use or hear of xd-hs2000 : Heine Straight Eight
I have read and heard the same thing about the difficulty in removing original XD sights. I would recommend that you have someone experienced with XD's, such as Gilbert's do it for you.

GilbertsGuns.com - Saiga 12 Gauge Shotgun, Saiga Tri Rail Forearm, Federal XM193 223 Ammo

The Heinie sights are good for me because my aging eyes are less confused lining up two dots instead of three. Some people love them others don't. See if you can find a gun with them and try them out. At least in the shop.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have read and heard the same thing about the difficulty in removing original XD sights. I would recommend that you have someone experienced with XD's, such as Gilbert's do it for you.

GilbertsGuns.com - Saiga 12 Gauge Shotgun, Saiga Tri Rail Forearm, Federal XM193 223 Ammo

The Heinie sights are good for me because my aging eyes are less confused lining up two dots instead of three. Some people love them others don't. See if you can find a gun with them and try them out. At least in the shop.

Hmm, at my early experience level, I think I'll need the 3 dot sights. I saw Heine sights with 3 dots, but not for the XD.

I wonder what the Springfield Custom™ tritium night sight set listed on their custom worksheet are like. I want the same for factor as the stock M sights, but with tritium. Having a hard time finding any.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Hmm, at my early experience level, I think I'll need the 3 dot sights. I saw Heine sights with 3 dots, but not for the XD.

I wonder what the Springfield Custom™ tritium night sight set listed on their custom worksheet are like. I want the same for factor as the stock M sights, but with tritium. Having a hard time finding any.
The straight eights have just one dot in front and one at the rear. You just line them up vertically, but it is a matter of preference. Try Trijicon or Ameriglo for your three dot sights. I suggest green front, and orange or yellow rears. The green is brighter and draws your eye to it quicker.

Trijicon, Inc. : Brilliant Aiming Solutions™

Ameriglo

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With help over the phone from Daniel from Powder River I removed my original sights and installed TFO sights on my 40 XDM. I'll take it to the range today to see how well they are lined up. I am very impressed with the look and they sure show up well in both the sun and at night. The 40 is my carry gun. I am having Dawson Precision sights installed on my XDM 9 for competition.

·
Registered
291 Posts

The straight eights have just one dot in front and one at the rear. You just line them up vertically, but it is a matter of preference. Try Trijicon or Ameriglo for your three dot sights. I suggest green front, and orange or yellow rears. The green is brighter and draws your eye to it quicker.

Trijicon, Inc. : Brilliant Aiming Solutions™

Ameriglo
The problem with the trijicon and ameriglow sights is the they don't make rear sights for the XDm that match the form factor of the stock sights.

I have been looking at the Dawson and Springfields custom sights which look like the stock sights. In the the case of Springfields custom sights, they are the stock sights but with the tritium inserts. The issue for me is there is no white outline on the dots as there is with trijicon sights. The dawson don't either for the rears, but the fronts look like a standard trijicon sight with a clearly defined white outline for better daytime visibility.

·
Registered
7 Posts
With help over the phone from Daniel from Powder River I removed my original sights and installed TFO sights on my 40 XDM. I'll take it to the range today to see how well they are lined up. I am very impressed with the look and they sure show up well in both the sun and at night. The 40 is my carry gun. I am having Dawson Precision sights installed on my XDM 9 for competition.
PM to you. I need to do the same thing to my XDM 40.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts