Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All I can say is "wow, in all my life I have never seen a POS glow in the dark". These sights are inferior in every way to most any other sight on th market. And loosing almost an inch of sight radius (compared to trijicon hd) is just retarded. They could of easily moved the rear sight back to gain an extra half inch. Not to mention they can only be seen in direct sun light, and pitch black. It's a cool novelty, but has no place on a defensive handgun. You have been warned.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Why didn't you go with the Trijicon HD's??

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have multiple different sights on my handguns (XS, standard 3 dot, 3 dot night sights and TFO sights) and I find that the TFO sights work just fine. I don't have any problem with them under any lighting conditions. I guess they're not for everyone, though...

·
Registered
136 Posts
My problem is they keep falling out (front tube). Have two at the truglo mothership gettin fixed. In that sense can't trust them for a match. Been told a drop of clear epoxy will work but have not tried yet. Fro $100 a set you would think they would be more stable. When they stay on though they work fine

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I have several guns with TFOs and like them. To each their own.......but definitely not POS.......

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, maybe not pos, but definitely not a high quality sight. When I told my smith that they sucked, he said "I know, get the Trijicon HD's". I just kinda laughed at myself for thinking I could save $40 and still get a high quality sight. I just had not seen any threads about the negatives of the tfo's, so I thought I would make one. Loosing an inch of sight radius on a sub-compact is a HUGE deal for me. For what its worth, I think I am going to mount them on my boy's red ryder. They are only a pos, comparatively speaking.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
If you mean TruGlo TFO, I have them on my EDC XD9SC and I love them. The sight dots are larger than most and very easy to pick up in any light. The fiber optic is easily visible in daylight (a problem with most pure tritium sights), and the tritium is very bright at night. The transition from one to another isn't noticeable. They were easy to install (once I got the EXTREMELY tight stock sights off), and I haven't experienced any problems with mine. I've heard TruGlo has had problems in the past, but they seem to have taken care of them. I'm 100% satisfied with mine and would recommend them to anyone.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Really sucks to have sights you don't like; been there and done that. I've used Mepros (Kimber) and Trijicons (XD45c) and didn't really like either set. TFO's on my XD9sc have fit my needs and if the front sight were thinner I would probably have them on my four competition guns. Keep looking; there's a set somewhere that will make you happy.

·
Premium Member
128,280 Posts
I have had TFOs on all my XDs for five years and they work just fine. Definitely not a POS IMO.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I've never own a set of TFOs.
I dodn't care for the physical size of them on the slide.
I've also read about tube failures.
But I've also read about many a user that love them, like above..^
I wouldn't go so far as POS status..

Good thing sights are easily replaced..

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I've never been very impressed with their quality. I've heard more horror stories as far as breakage goes with TFO's than any other night sights. I know some who have them and have never had any problems though. Seems to be hit or miss... I'll stick with Trijicon and Ameriglo.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My favorite sight in this order.

1. G30SF truGlo TFO
2. G26 glock factory night sights
3. G21SF XS big dot night sights

All my other guns are wearing the factory sights they came with. I will be trading out the XS system for a set of TFO's in the future.

You have to be carefull when cleaning your weapon with TFO's because some cleaning solvents will make the fiber optics hazey and will also loosen the apoxy holding the tubes in. I have had mine for several years and many hundreds of rounds and cleanings and am happy with them. They glow bright in all lighting conditions and in complete darkness.

I also have no problem with the length of the sights. I shoot the G30SF just as well with the shorter sight distance as I do with the longer sight distance. In fact if your shooting is thrown off that much by such a miniscule loss in sight distance then you would have the reverse affect with a rifle and would be able to put rounds in the same hole time and time again.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I checked out several brands when I decided to get night sights. The owner of my LGS let me take them into a back storage room so I could check out brightness. I went with the TFOs because they looked the best. Put them on 3 of my guns so far. I doubt you'll find a whole lot of support for your opinion here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
While they lasted, I really liked the TFO sights on my XD 45 and my wife's XDM 9. However, after a few months her front sight stopped glowing at night. Last trip to the range I noticed my front sight fiber rod was missing. So, I have 100 percent failure in less than two years. I'll probably have her's repaired but intend to buy new Trijicon sights for my gun. From forum discussions, I thought these problems had been corrected before I bought the sights. Guess not.

·
Registered
485 Posts
While they lasted, I really liked the TFO sights on my XD 45 and my wife's XDM 9. However, after a few months her front sight stopped glowing at night. Last trip to the range I noticed my front sight fiber rod was missing. So, I have 100 percent failure in less than two years. I'll probably have her's repaired but intend to buy new Trijicon sights for my gun. From forum discussions, I thought these problems had been corrected before I bought the sights. Guess not.
You might have picked up a set that had been sitting in inventory for a long time or at a warehouse. I know that when they first came out they had the problems you describe that you are having but for the last 3 years or so their QC has vastly improved.

·
Registered
755 Posts
LOVE MINE. I havent had any problems with mine and they show up better than any sight i have seen.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts