Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'Cowards' placed boy, 7, underwater in bathtub as parents watch during home invasion, sheriff says

Texas home Invasion: 7 year old tortured in front of parents | The Modern Survivalist

"Once this reality sinks in and is fully assimilated then believe you me, you will no longer care for what’s comfortable or what’s cool. You will want effective killing tools. Several of them. You will want to master them and above all and most important, you will have the determination to use them.

Things like these, it’s a daily occurrence in places like Buenos Aires. I’ve been living in that reality for more years than I care for. You know what we didn’t talk about with like-minded people? How can I carry a smaller gun with less ammo. That’s the kind of thing discussed by first worlders, people that down deep don’t think they will ever need a gun."

·
Registered
30,302 Posts
We just watched the death Wish re-make with Bruce Willis. Entertaining action movie, but seemed a little far fetched. Then you remember that people like this exist. I have no words for how sick this makes me feel.
That first part where he goes to the gun store was pretty spot on.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
126,919 Posts
Sickening how evil some people are

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
Weird turn... there WAS loot to be had... "The homeowner was a small-business owner and had a large amount of cash in the house, according to Nehls, who did not go into further details."

They never said whether or not Dad gave it up, just that the human debris left w cash and jewelry.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
Terrifying by degree. Armed home invasion is bad. Torturing young kids goes beyond human decency. Would armed father or mother intervention beyond the immediate life threatening torture to the kid be morally justified?

After the fact shooting of the torturers is that was possible.

What about legally justified? Curious if there had been any other events like this and what did any jury say to after the fact actions of the parents with lethal force to the home invaders? A very sad situation for sure. Wow.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The risk of multiple assailants. That's why I never bought into the single stack 9mm movement. Also why I like to have an AR15 with an always on red dot nearby.

·
Registered
29,572 Posts
The risk of multiple assailants. That's why I never bought into the single stack 9mm movement. Also why I like to have an AR15 with an always on red dot nearby.
I’ve never really bought into the “must have a double stack” argument, myself.

These are criminals—opportunists. They tend not to stick around when they find out they prey has teeth.

People act like they’re going to be hit by a Spetznaz wet team—trained, dedicated, professional killers that are willing to take casualties...and if your lifestyle is one where that’s a legitimate, high probability threat...you might want to reconsider some choices...

·
Registered
19,579 Posts
A single stack of any caliber is just fine for a carry piece. It is not an ideal home defense weapon. I am putting together an AR 300blk pistol to defend my castle... more power. More capacity. More accuracy. Maybe a bit quieter too.

·
Registered
29,572 Posts
While it might not be ideal, it will in all but a few, very extreme circumstances, be more than enough.

Can anyone give me an actual, real-life occurrence where a homeowner who, armed with a lower-capacity weapon, was taken out after running out of ammo AND after putting down one (or more) of their assailants?

·
Registered
30,302 Posts
People act like they’re going to be hit by a Spetznaz wet team—trained, dedicated, professional killers that are willing to take casualties...and if your lifestyle is one where that’s a legitimate, high probability threat...you might want to reconsider some choices...
You don't know my life

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
I’ve never really bought into the “must have a double stack” argument, myself.

These are criminals—opportunists. They tend not to stick around when they find out they prey has teeth.

The differences in size between a single and double stack is usually around 1/4" in thickness. I could lose a 1/4" in my waist by only eating half my lunch. Yet somehow most of the gun buying public had been convinced that 1/4" is worth losing half your ammo capacity. As well as gaining a grip that's difficult to hold onto.

Criminals may be opportunists, but they're not completely stupid, even as shown by the OP article. They work in packs, they probably cased this family to be sure they'd have cash, they made a clean getaway.

Fact is, these criminals had time to prepare and stack the advantages, while the victims were forced to react and adapt on the spot.

Even if the victims were armed. They'd have to fight in less than ideal mental conditions. Tired, sleepy, unprepared, reactive, suddenly adrenaline dumping, no time to put on corrective lenses etc. You're going to miss shots. You really want to assume they'll just run before you run out of ammo?

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
Armed resistance (even unarmed resistance) tends to shut down most attacks (maybe not this one) real damn fast.
My biggest concern isn't being unarmed, under-armed, or even being caught w my pants down... you wanna get shot by a honkey with shiny chub...? No, you don't.
I worry about waking up fast enough or my GF being home alone (I travel).
This read like that movie w Bruce Willis where the baddies took the family hostage and, eventually, Bruce's family hostage... can't remember the name.
No matter, it's pretty far fetched and a long way from the typical B and E committed regularly in America.

·
Registered
29,572 Posts
The differences in size between a single and double stack is usually around 1/4" in thickness. I could lose a 1/4" in my waist by only eating half my lunch. Yet somehow most of the gun buying public had been convinced that 1/4" is worth losing half your ammo capacity. As well as gaining a grip that's difficult to hold onto.

Criminals may be opportunists, but they're not completely stupid, even as shown by the OP article. They work in packs, they probably cased this family to be sure they'd have cash, they made a clean getaway.

Fact is, these criminals had time to prepare and stack the advantages, while the victims were forced to react and adapt on the spot.

Even if the victims were armed. They'd have to fight in less than ideal mental conditions. Tired, sleepy, unprepared, reactive, suddenly adrenaline dumping, no time to put on corrective lenses etc. You're going to miss shots. You really want to assume they'll just run before you run out of ammo?
Yes, I’m fairly confident in that outcome if I put one down in my first 8 shots before a reload is required.

See my second post re: examples...

I’m not saying that someone shouldn’t carry/use a doublestack if they want to; what I AM saying is that if the main reason that you choose one is because of fear of attacks by mass assailants...you might want to recalibrate your threat matrix. It’s dialed a bit too much to “Walking Dead”...

·
Registered
29,572 Posts
Putting 1 down with 8 shots is a better average than the professionals manage.
The “professionals” usually only shoot a couple times a year to qualify. I shoot a couple times a week, whenever I can.

Average shots fired for a non-LEO defensive shooting is under 3...

·
Registered
19,579 Posts
The “professionals” usually only shoot a couple times a year to qualify. I shoot a couple times a week, whenever I can.

Average shots fired for a non-LEO defensive shooting is under 3...
I think more shoot more often than twice a year. Besides, you never know how adrenaline and stress will hit you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts